Strings for laminate soprano?

Kitty101

Reaction score
I just won an auction for a beautiful laminate koa soprano ukulele by Ibanez, for under 50 dollars. It is the uks50. I am wondering what strings to put on it. From what I've seen it sounds gorgeous and I want strings to capitalize on that warm bell sound. Thanks so much.

I would say that fluorocarbon strings would give you the most bell like ring. Martins are very widely available, but there are tons of choices out there. D'Addario would be another that should be easy to find.

Thank you very much. I was looking at some martins the other day, sounds like a good buy.

Congratulations on winning the auction.

I’ve happily used Martin M600’s on quite a few laminate Sopranos, IIRC I’ve only had one instrument that they were a poor match for. Whilst they are actually good strings I’m not a great fan of Aquila New Nylgut, but I do like Super Nylgut and suggest that you consider them. On the cheaper laminates some people use Concert rather than Soprano versions of Aquila strings (drives the top harder).

If the strings are white / ivory coloured then it might already have Aquilas on it, in which case you might like to use them for some months before considering a change.

Last edited:
They may also be D'Addario Nyltech (which are made with Aquila) which are also very nice strings

I would also suggest fluorocarbon, and for brand just get the cheapest you can find either in your local store or if you have to buy online make sure to consider shipping costs. Of course it may be great with the strings are already on, so maybe play it first for a couple of months before you decide to invest further into it.

..From what I've seen it sounds gorgeous and I want strings to capitalize on that warm bell sound.

Do you mean that you like how your uke currently sounds? or do you mean sound samples you heard of this uke model like on youtube?
If you already like its sound, then I'd just get more of the same strings.
If it's the latter, then just find what strings the person used (e.g. via a comment or something like that).

My current go to strings are the Aquilla Sugar strings.

They sound great on laminate and solid Ukes.

I use high and low G depending. Check them out.

@graham greenbag Thank you, the Martins sound like great strings and they are inexpensive too. Sweetwater has them and free shipping.

Last edited:
I really like Aquilas I have them on my tenor, it has given it a beautiful loud, clear voice.
plain ol' nylguts/supernylguts are often said to be the great equalizer for laminates

Last edited:
Do you mean that you like how your uke currently sounds? or do you mean sound samples you heard of this uke model like on youtube?
If you already like its sound, then I'd just get more of the same strings.
If it's the latter, then just find what strings the person used (e.g. via a comment or something like that).

I heard a sample of it, but that ukulele had clear strings the one I won has black strings, I don't know if they are aquila or those strings no one seems to like on ukes. It was a posted a bit ago but I could try and see if they would still respond.

I heard a sample of it, but that ukulele had clear strings the one I won has black strings, I don't know if they are aquila or those strings no one seems to like on ukes. It was a posted a bit ago but I could try and see if they would still respond.

As far as I know Aquila do not sell a black string, they sell some darker ones (Lava) but not black. My suspicion is that the Uke was older stock and fitted with (once standard supply) generic black nylon strings, usually such strings work but not particularly well. Nylon strings can work well on Ukes but such (nylon) string selection isn’t straight forward, it’s something that’s best left to those that really understand things much better than most of us do.

I suggest the Martin M600 and the Aquila Super Nylgut as, respectively, good first and second choices. (Similar to the D’Addario variant there is a Martin Premium string too and IIRC that’s also made in partnership with Aquila ...)

Your Uke might require setting-up, if you want to then there are lots of old threads on that topic already on this forum for you to research.

Last edited:
As far as I know Aquila do not sell a black string, they sell some darker ones (Lava) but not black. My suspicion is that the Uke was older stock and fitted with (once standard supply) generic black nylon strings, usually such strings work but not particularly well. Nylon strings can work well on Ukes but such (nylon) string selection isn’t straight forward, it’s something that’s best left to those that really understand things much better than most of us go.

I suggest the Martins M600 and the Aquila Super Nylgut as, respectively, good first and second choices. (Similar to the D’Addario variant there is a Martin Premium string too and IIRC that’s also made in partnership with Aquila ...)

Your Uke might require setting-up, if you want to then there are lots of old threads on that topic already on this forum for you to research.

I think it is older stock as well, I ordered the martin strings to replace the black ones. I am very excited to put them on my new uke. I will definitely look into those set up threads. I do have an instrument shop nearby but they typically service violins not ukuleles.

Top Bottom