New tuners day

Nickie

Reaction score
I finally got rid of the frustrating Peghead tuners on my uke. Here's a pic of the new Grover planetary tuners. The luthier had a tough time getting the old ones out, they had to be drilled out!
Now I have little excuse for playing out of tune. Peghead tuners are pretty, but now that they're gone, I don't want any more.
grovers.jpg

I finally got rid of the frustrating Peghead tuners on my uke. Here's a pic of the new Grover planetary tuners. The luthier had a tough time getting the old ones out, they had to be drilled out!
Now I have little excuse for playing out of tune. Peghead tuners are pretty, but now that they're gone, I don't want any more.
View attachment 134877

Is it possible you got GOTOH tuners instead of Grovers? If Luthier told you Grover, he/she was in error. The one for the A string ( your photo ) has GOTOH imprinted on its' base.

https://theukulelesite.com/accessor...uners/gotoh-upt-tuner-w-optional-install.html

Last edited:
I put Grover planetary tuners on a tenor banjo back in the mid '70s. I guess they are still making them...

Is it possible you got GOTOH tuners instead of Grovers? If Luthier told you Grover, he/she was in error. The one for the A string ( your photo ) has GOTOH imprinted on its' base.

https://theukulelesite.com/accessor...uners/gotoh-upt-tuner-w-optional-install.html

I stand corrected! The new ones are Gotoh tuners. The fine print is too small for my old eyes, and my old brain has CRS! Grover makes geared tuners, eh?
And yes, Mike, it did have Peghead tuners, it came like that. I've had nothing but trouble with them, but i left them in for so long because I thought they looked cool. Luthier and I had a discussion about function over form....

View attachment 134877

Possibly, your luthier didn't realize that the PegHed tuner are both left-hand and right-hand threaded. Two of each. My guitar repair shop tech didn't know that and damaged my Martin 1T IZ tenor when I asked them to replace the PegHeds with Gotoh tuners. The shop, a Martin dealer and authorized repair facility replaced the tenor free of charge. And installed the Gotohs as well.

Last edited:
If you buy the Gotohs, check to see if your headstock thickness requires the standard UPT or the UPT-L (Long) tuners. My Martin required the long. I way prefer the Gotoh tuners to the PegHeds, but have tenors with one or the other type. The Gotoh are smooth and very easy to use. The PegHeds are too fiddly for me.

Gordon Mayer of MyaMoe Ukuleles used to have a series of YouTube videos about the PegHed tuners that came standard on their ukes. Installation, use & stringing if I remember correctly. The big issue about installing them was getting the ends aligned with the headstock surface when screwing them in.

Last edited:
I have installed many dozens of each kind on my ukuleles. Here is my take on them;
PegHed
Pro- nice appearance, very light weight, work very well (if you understand how they work)
Con- difficult to install, very difficult to uninstall ( must be destroyed in many cases, people seem to have a hard time understanding how they work and how to adjust them, they feel a little rough in use.

UPT
Pro- easy and straightforward to install and uninstall, appearance is OK, several styles to choose from, very smooth operation
Con- they are heavy, care must be taken to match the peghead thickness to the model of UPT, the adjustment range is small.

Brad

View attachment 134877

Did the dealer know that PegHeds are screwed into the headstock?

Where did you get them? I couldn't find them online, but I did find these cheapies from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Planetary-Tuning-Plastic-Button/dp/B01N33HQS9

Last edited:
I installed Pegheds in y Fluke tenor after the fact. I was told about left and right tuners. I purchased a reamer and followed some videos. Key was to ream out very little material at time. Taper carefully, then fit. Once fitted, add a dab of white glue……screw in and per orientation instructions. They fit well, worked fine.

Now, I agree pegheds can be fiddle with the push/ pull for tension. They do work fine for my Fluke…best amd nicest looking so,it icon for this ukulele.

I will try Gotoh at some point……on a different Uke.

Peghed are very light……..the graphtech are super light…..not tried the, yet…….and I have heard of the shafts snapping.

It would be nice to see Graphtech made out of same material as pegheds.

Just random comments….im ok with pegheds…..I’d probably like Gotoh better……..I may try Graphtech on an inexpensive Uke to see…..I do wish there were more option. I had Uke with guitar tuners. Each tuner weights 22.5 grams so Dejung planetary at 14.5 oz is lighter but Graphtech at 5 is way lighter. I don’t know what pegheds weigh?

Me, too. Good to know.

Haha funny Jerry did you read the thread? Grover was typed in by mistake..and corrected to Gotoh planatary tuners which have been around for many years now...:)

Did the dealer know that PegHeds are screwed into the headstock?

Where did you get them? I couldn't find them online, but I did find these cheapies from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Planetary-Tuning-Plastic-Button/dp/B01N33HQS9

Yes, my luthier knows that. They're still a bitch to remove. They came on this ukulele. Gotohs were not an option then. I'm also of the opinion that they are too fiddly, too much like friction pegs. I own another ukulele with friction pegs, and they are way less trouble than the Pegheads were. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who doesn't like their uke going out of tune during a performance.
I recall mmStan saying once that he tried to take apart a Peghead to see how it worked. It came undone suddenly, and the parts flew all over the thick carpet he was working over. I don't think he ever found all the parts.
Concert #260 12.jpg

Last edited:
It is interesting how opinions differ.

I think the Pegheads are made in the USA by an eccentric person who has made some strange commercial decisions. Gotoh tuners are made in Asia, Taiwan if the internet is correct.

All 5 sets of my GOTOHs say 'Made in Japan' (look closely at the photo-Japan as well)
[Yes, Japan is considered Asia, but not Taiwan :) ]

Last edited:
Haha funny Jerry did you read the thread? Grover was typed in by mistake..and corrected to Gotoh planatary tuners which have been around for many years now...:)

Thanks. That explains why I couldn't find them. : )

The $39 tuners have a $10 shipping charge, so sorta kills the fun.

I replaced the friction tuners on my LoPrinzi soprano with Gotoh and am very happy with them. I was not generally bothered by friction ones but was playing a lot outside and in some conditions the friction were slipping despite having the screw pretty darn tight. Gotoh solved the problem. They look and feel great. Easy to tune and stay put. No noticeable heaviness to me. I think you’ll really like them.

I replaced the friction tuners on my LoPrinzi soprano with Gotoh and am very happy with them. I was not generally bothered by friction ones but was playing a lot outside and in some conditions the friction were slipping despite having the screw pretty darn tight. Gotoh solved the problem. They look and feel great. Easy to tune and stay put. No noticeable heaviness to me. I think you’ll really like them.

I'm extremely strong, so all that weight of the Gotohs isn't a problem for me. :D

I had some friction tuners that were like that. I took them out, which is easy to do, took them apart, cleaned them up really well and used a pencil lead to spread graphite in the grooves, put them back in, and they worked great!

Top Bottom