Pono string spacing question (general & Pono TE)

ukulately

Reaction score
Hi all,

A while ago I owned a Pono Tenor (can't remember the model number), which I quite liked but remember finding the A string too close to the edge of the fretboard. I was forever pulling the string off the side. Now, this could be (probably is) bad technique but I haven't experienced it with any other uke.

Now, just if anyone else experienced the same ...

I'm considering a Pono TE solid body electric and wondering if it would be the same?

I'm considering a Pono TE solid body electric and wondering if it would be the same?

Not sure what is too close for you but it is about 4mm away from the edge at the first fret on my mango TE

20210730_085114.jpg

Thanks. I never measured it, was just going off feel. How do you find it?

Thanks. I never measured it, was just going off feel. How do you find it?

I use it to practice at night when the family is asleep by plugging into an amp and using headphones. For that purpose, I love it. The neck is definitely chunkier but I have not noticed myself pulling off the A string any more or any less than my primary ukes.

I have three Ponos and don’t have that problem but I don’t think I’ve ever pulled a string off the fretboard. I’ve done it in the past on guitars with really narrow necks, but can’t remember how long it’s been.

I have a Pono MT-E tenor and the neck is narrow and shaped like a dad burn broomstick. I prefer a much wider and more chunky neck but it sounds great. I don't think I've ever pulled the A string off the fret and I have heavy vibrato. Yeah, happens to me once in a while on one of my guitars.

I don't know the TE electric tenors. My acoustics (4) have consistent dimensions of a 1-3/8" W nut. And a 18" distance from the edge of the fretboard to the G or A strings.

Top Bottom