Low G on Enya Nova Pro Tenor

don_b

Reaction score
Anybody tried this yet? I want to know if you had to file the nut at all. I noticed on my kala tri-top I didn't need to file the nut when putting in a Fremont black line Low G, but I do need to get around to filing the nut on my Cordoba 15TM before I can properly insert the Uke Logic pink Sandia Low G I have on it. My preference would be to go with the Uke Logics, but I'm not hating the D'Dario Titaniums that the instrument came with.

Are you averse to the Uke logic/Pepe/Freemont smooth wound low g? The gauge on it is 0.030 which is thinner than many C's strings. This way you don't have to worry about it fitting without modifying the nut. I have never had to modify any of my nuts for the Uke logic/Pepe/Freemont smooth wound low g. Looking at the D'Dario Titanium string gauges it looks like the high G string is a 0.029 so it should be similar in size.

Just a thought.

I mentioned that I did this in the Enya Nova Tenor news thread. Put Living Waters low G strings on it first thing. Didn't have to widen the nut slot at all, but I did have to enlarge the slot at the bridge. I tried doing the slot at the bridge with sandpaper, but the material was just too hard to make much progress. So I used a 1.2 mm drill bit in a Dremel tool.

I bought from Enya, and asked them to install the Low G when they mailed it. It looks like and an Aquila red but who knows. It seems fine.

I bought from Enya, and asked them to install the Low G when they mailed it. It looks like and an Aquila red but who knows. It seems fine.

Yep, that's what I got. The red string broke at the 2nd fret after I brought the string up to tension the 5th or 6th time as it stretched out. I replaced it with a Fremont Soloist.

Addendum: As I throw the red Low-G string away, I notice that the surface texture of the string doesn't seem to be the same as an Aquila Red. It feel smoother than the Aquila. But then again, it's been quite a while since I've played Aquila Reds.

Last edited:
Mine came with what seems like pretty low action, and unfortunately the low G aquila red buzzes quite a bit, especially if I'm strumming a bit harder. I'm wondering if maybe changing to a thinner gauge low G might help a bit? Halp :(

Mine came with what seems like pretty low action, and unfortunately the low G aquila red buzzes quite a bit, especially if I'm strumming a bit harder. I'm wondering if maybe changing to a thinner gauge low G might help a bit? Halp :(

The Red Low-G that came with the uke didn't last long enough for me to tell anything about it. The Fremont Soloist wound Low-G that I installed has no buzzing at all. It sounds quite good.

I ordered mine with a low G. It came with an Aquila red also, and I didn't care for it. Plus, it just looked weird. I replaced it with a fluorocarbon low G, and no adjustments were necessary at the nut. I did lower the action at the saddle, while I was at it. Nice little knockaround tenor, IMHO.

I ordered mine with a low G. It came with an Aquila red also, and I didn't care for it. Plus, it just looked weird. I replaced it with a fluorocarbon low G, and no adjustments were necessary at the nut. I did lower the action at the saddle, while I was at it. Nice little knockaround tenor, IMHO.

I also didn't need to make any adjustments at the nut. But what was the action at the 12th fret on yours from the factory? I dropped the action at the 12th fret on mine from 0.120" to 0.085".

Top Bottom