Best clip on tuner recommendations

D'Addario Micro Headstock tuner; also seems to be sold as "Planet Waves PW-CT-12 NS Micro Headstock Tuner".

So affordable and convenient that I have one for each uke that I use regularly.

I keep one on each of my ukes. I did get one that was a dud - emailed the company, gave them the information on where and when I bought it, and (with the help of a magnifying glass) the numbers on the back of the unit (It helps them track and see if it was a bad batch, or just one that was bad). Two days later, a brand new tuner was delivered to me.

As opposed to the Snark tuners I started with, that - while very accurate - ate batteries, broke when you looked at them funny, and I find very distracting when I see them on a headstock (I've seen many pro musicians have them hanging off of their electric and acoustic guitars, banjos, mandolins in concert.). I've got a Korg in-line tuner somewhere that I bought 30-something years ago, but the only instrument I had with a pickup back then was my shallow-body Ovation Pinnacle guitar, and I had removed the battery, since I didn't own an amp. I should probably find that Korg for when I start gigging again...

-Kurt​

One of my primary requirements is USB charging. The one I use now is something inexpensive off Amazon. A Cherub. I also have a ddarrio micro that I like, but it is not rechargeable.

My biggest complaint about the Snark is that they market it as being impervious to other noise. That you can tune in a group and it will only pick up the vibrations in the neck of your instrument and not from the instrument around you. Horse Hockey! If there are other club members tuning up, my Snark tuner reacts to those instruments and throws my reading all catiwompus!

The Unitune looks like old technology. Especially the display. I'd need proof that it works better. Not being disrespectful, just think the display needs a freshening up.

The Unitune looks like old technology. Especially the display. I'd need proof that it works better. Not being disrespectful, just think the display needs a freshening up.

I love the display Ken. It is simple, bright, easy to read and you really get good accurate readings as you creep up towards the note. The main reason it’s my favorite are the features I just listed.

I love the display Ken. It is simple, bright, easy to read and you really get good accurate readings as you creep up towards the note. The main reason it’s my favorite are the features I just listed.

My experience as well

My biggest complaint about the Snark is that they market it as being impervious to other noise. That you can tune in a group and it will only pick up the vibrations in the neck of your instrument and not from the instrument around you. Horse Hockey! If there are other club members tuning up, my Snark tuner reacts to those instruments and throws my reading all catiwompus!

Some Snarks have a built in microphone and switch where you can select mic or vibrate mode. If you have one of those make sure it is set to vibrate. But if you have a resonant uke it can also pick up vibrations from surrounding instruments and transmit those to the tuner even if set to vibration.

Last edited:
Now, that's weird. The entire post was here and now it's gone! I've recreated it:

I basically stated that I'd have to give it a try.

I wish it was carried by other places. I hate being inundated with Sweetwater emails and so-called "Targeted" Ads that follow me about the Interweb. I visited their site once to look at an ukulele and had ads and emails for guitar stuff for at least 6 months afterwards.

Last edited:
Tuning by ear does sound so cool, but in a group or band it may not be the best idea, every one needs to be in tune. In a group or band you need to tune to whatever the leader or director tells you to tune to, that way everyone will be in tune. Most ukulele groups use tuners, they do not tune by ear, they can get away with this because most electronic tuners are good enough for this purpose. All of the tuners mentioned so far are good enough for this purpose.

Maybe a band or orchestra will get a reference A note or the leader will play a note, and then everyone tunes to that by ear. I think it would be rare to hear that in a ukulele group.

At home or for your solo performance, you can use whatever you like, and its good to tune by ear for practice and then test your ears with a known reference tone or even an electronic tuner.

Tune by ear in a group setting? You

Tuning by ear does sound so cool, but in a group or band it may not be the best idea, every one needs to be in tune. In a group or band you need to tune to whatever the leader or director tells you to tune to, that way everyone will be in tune. Most ukulele groups use tuners, they do not tune by ear, they can get away with this because most electronic tuners are good enough for this purpose. All of the tuners mentioned so far are good enough for this purpose.

Maybe a band or orchestra will get a reference A note or the leader will play a note, and then everyone tunes to that by ear. I think it would be rare to hear that in a ukulele group.

At home or for your solo performance, you can use whatever you like, and its good to tune by ear for practice and then test your ears with a known reference tone or even an electronic tuner.

Tune by ear in a group setting? You’d need some very fine musicians for that and I suggest that the idea is a non-starter in virtually all Uke groups. A clip on tuner of any type and just getting folk to use theirs is about as good as you’re going to get.

Of course in a professional orchestra all the players take their pitch from one instrument and tune-up to that in rehearsals, but such skill is well beyond most of us and a practice that’s been retained from different times - IMHO its merits versus modern alternatives are ‘debatable’.

I’d encourage folk to occasionally tune by ear at home with a Tuning Fork. That practice helps to develop your ears and helps you to recognise, just by listening as you play, whether a string has gone out of tune.

Last edited:
Some Snarks have a built in microphone and switch where you can select mic or vibrate mode. If you have one of those make sure it is set to vibrate. But if you have a resonant uke it can also pick up vibrations from surrounding instruments and transmit those to the tuner even if set to vibration.

I use the SN6X Ukulele Snark. It only has vibration, no mic. I do own a SuperTight multi instrument one that has a mic option. But I rarely use it.

I use the SN6X Ukulele Snark. It only has vibration, no mic. I do own a SuperTight multi instrument one that has a mic option. But I rarely use it.

Do you notice a difference in speed between the 2 Snarks?

I have a SuperTight snark that seems much slower than my previous snark (which I don't remember the model of).

When electronic tuners became available in the mid 70s, it was a game changer for our band, and other players we knew. Previously, my band tuned to my harmonica, and it was still "hit or miss" for the first set...
FYI, I like my Snark.

My favorite tuna is Chicken of the Sea, assembled by fish man. However, based on the numerous recommendations herein, from folks I respect, I just ordered a TC Electronics Unitune from Sweetwater. Shazam!

As was stated, professionals in a group tune to one instrument.
Being in school band for 9 years, even ~50 years later, I know, I mean I KNOW, middle C.

Whether it was completely accurate or not, everyone tuned to the same note, adjusting the length of their instruments.

I was in a church study group a few years ago where the leader wanted us to sing, and directed someone to go to the piano and give us all Middle C to start out on.

I sang out, CCCCCCCCCC.

Everyone was amazed that I hit it dead on.
I was amazed my voice was pure enough.

But I do agree, in a group setting, it is best to use a tuner to ensure our ear isn’t a smidge off.

Last edited:
As was stated, professionals in a group tune to one instrument.
Being in school band for 9 years, even ~50 years later, I know, I mean I KNOW, middle C.

Whether it was completely accurate or not, everyone tuned to the same note, adjusting the length of their instruments.

I was in a church study group a few years ago where the leader wanted us to sing, and directed someone to go to the piano and give us all Middle C to start out on.

I sang out, CCCCCCCCCC.

Everyone was amazed that I hit it dead on.
I was amazed my voice was pure enough.

But I do agree, in a group setting, it is best to use a tuner to ensure our ear isn’t a smidge off.

As a music educator and even a PhD in music, there's only one problem with this story, which is that bands tune to a Bb, while orchestras generally tune to an A. If you played Trumpet or Clarinet or Tenor Saxophone , you might have tuned to *your* C (transposing instruments).

So if you sang CCCCCCCCC, and your memory was correct, you should have sang B-flat; B-flat; B-flat; B-flat; B-flat; B-flat; B-flat :)

Unless your school band really did tune in C, but I don't know of any that do that or have done that.

And let's not even get into the definition of A and its frequency!

Top Bottom