[Europe/UK] MT Dorset Cedar of Lebanon/Sweet Chesnut Tenor

MentalAtom

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have come to the decision to sell my custom uke from MT Dorset Ukuleles which I got last year. I recently bought a Kanile'a, and this one doesn't get played almost at all anymore which is a shame. So it would be good to find it a nice home.

He is not so well known, but if you know anything about him he makes his Ukes entirely out of English woods so that it is sustainable. He is a small guy working in his workshop in his house in Dorset.

Wood
Top: Cedar of Lebanon
Back and Sides: Sweet Chesnut
Binding/Rosette/Neck: Beech
Bridge and Fretboard: English Boxwood
Pickup: Fishman PRO-UKE0 Passive
Tuners: Closed silver tuners (not sure of the brand, silky smooth)

Tone
The uke has a very interesting tone due to the wood combination, I would say it's warm and has kind of a "zing" to it. The uke was also made with a curved back and extra deep body of 78mm so it has BIG bass response. Sounds good with a low G but you have to choose the right one or the bass goes on and on when the treble stops. Right now it's strung in high-G as I was in a high-G kinda mood recently.

Quality
In terms of build quality, it's definitely not light, but this mainly down to the neck being made of beech, which is incredibly dense. It still has plenty of resonance and you can feel it in your chest very often when you give it some oomph! It's also "comsetically" not perfect, as you would expect from a smaller Luthier. It has some dents on the sides, some small gaps where the binding is and in general has a "home-made" feel to it, but nothing affecting the sound in any way. It also has a very small chip from the soundboard (this one was me) but I think if you re-waxed the finish it would hide it pretty well.

You can find photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8HNtevWp2WmBcuLy6

I am looking for around €850 delivered to mainland EU, anywhere further afield PM me and I can check. I will also be in the UK in a few weeks so could bring with me.
When it was new it was ~€1050

Last edited:
This morning I also created a video so you can hear the uke, since it is an unusual wood combination so I guess the sound is unfamiliar.

Price drop - €750 to Europe Inc. delivery, anywhere else PM me and I'll check.

Also, bump!

Bump - I'll also potentially accept a trade if it's a tenor, something other than koa, and has 37/38mm nut.

Would prefer to sell but the option is there. Happy to negotiate!

Bringing this up again, I would also be happy with some kind of trade for another tenor if anyone is interested...

Top Bottom