Names

Every once in awhile there’s a little tiff in the ‘family’. Just like real family, we get over it. Personally I’m rather glad to call people by their moniker because I’m TERRIBLE at remembering names but… sometimes I feel like I’m being disrespectful because after years of ‘knowing’ someone…I should know their name. I also don’t mind being called any of my online names or the true one, Janet (from another planet!).

I've often wondered about the reason for an on-line handle or nom de mouse. At first I thought that it was so that people wouldn't have to take responsibility for the posts that they knew others wouldn't approve of, but some folks post their photos and seem to have no trouble having their true identity known. Some folks even change their on-line name for each Zoom meeting.
I still feel a bit strange addressing someone by an obviously fake name, and would feel just as strange having someone call me by a fake name, but since Lumpy has requested to be called by his on-line name, I'm happy to oblige.
My wife and siblings sometimes call me by terms of endearment or not so dear if I do something to piss them off, but I feel most comfortable with Jim and haven't found it necessary to come up with an on-line name.

If someone Googles me before a job interview, I dont want them to find videos of me playing ukulele in a manner that was only meant for fellow ukers. Naturally someone could picture search me, but that is less likely.
So hence I keep my family name out of my videos etc.

When I first joined UU I chose to use a nom de plume - "Ukantor". I can't remember why I decided on that, so I tried some years ago, I tried to change it. I couldn't see how to do that, and the mods did not respond to my request. I'd like to drop the "Ukantor" thing, so now I just sign my name at the end of each post. Because my real name is the same as that of an American folk hero, some think "John Colter" is an assumed name. I can't win!

What it says on my birth certificate.

I'm sure it was out of respect, those knowing your real name & using it - I think it also makes interaction more personal, like in a 'real' family - I purposefully changed my original screen name because I felt 'one of the family' - even though I'm a lousy singer, & a mediocre player - I was accepted. ;) :music:

Top Bottom