Season 494: Dedicate/Celebrate

I'm not sure I'll get another one in this week since I'm off to visit my mum for the first time in forever. But here's a quick one before I head off...

This is a Scottish folk song, originally written in the late 19th century and one of the first (maybe even the first) songs to reference football, the kind played with feet and a ball. There's lots of variations in the lyrics - I've used something a bit like Robin Hall and Jimmy Macgregor's version from 1960.

Paul Simon composition dedicated to all the olympic athletes in their quest for medals

fabulous songs this past day, wonderful originals and covers.
thank you Jim, Del, Joo, Brian, Edwin and Stanley.
your dedications are beautiful and fun for me to hear so many of you
jumping on the sports theme too. :)
xo

In FInland there was a breed of mercenary knights called Hakkapeliitta. They used to practice their swordsmanship by throwing small turnips up in the air and trying to cut them in half as they fell.

During times of peace when the carrying of arms was forbidden the Hakkapeliitta invented the game of Pesapallo as a means of keeping their eye in and maintaining their quick reactions.

The FInns when they emigrated to America took their game pesapallo with them and it was modified slightly to become baseball. One of their favourite songs was "take me out the ballgame to" which was a Russian tango. It was greatly modified and became a popular song in America in 1908. The rest is history. Dedicated to sportsman everywhere.

Last edited:
Good on ya Jonno. This is a bit tangential. But boxing is a sport. But this is more about the sociopathy of the narrator. And this is dedicated to all of us who while quietly eating our kebab at 2 in the morning at the bus stop or train station hear that age old call " What are you lookin' at mate".
Sorry missed Dave's instrumentals..last week at work..hectic.

This is dedicated to all the children who have to care for their very sick (and dying) parents.
They often end up becoming sick themselves. If you are, or you know someone who is the full time carer of a sick parent, please try to seek some kind of help. It is important to have another person or persons share the burden.

thank you Rob, John and Joo for these amazing songs and videos.
just outstanding.
xo

I think we have discovered the new Joni Mitchell!

Great job, joo!

-Wiggy

That is too generous, and too kind, Wiggy!
(thank you very much for your kind words!)

I came here to share a cricket video, actually, since it seems a little quiet here.
I was googling for "cricket songs" and found a few gems. This is one of them.
Not sure if you have seen this, Jon?

(I shared this video just minutes ago...https://youtu.be/Sjr9Y3oNW-4
...hope that makes you all smile! :---))

Last edited:
I hate to soil your lovely season Jon, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to play a soccer song. Cheers.
This is a tune by The Toilet Bowl Cleaners.

That made me laughed out loud, Sean!

Hello again, Jon! This one serves as both a dedication and a sporting celebration. As a fellow Tour de France aficionado, I am dedicating this to you, our Host. To be perfectly honest, not having seen the film, I have absolutely no idea whether the song is even remotely about the actual Tour ... however, THAT is the title. The Stage featured in the accompanying video is an arduous one from some time in the 1920s. It starts with a punishing hill climb, which is followed by a - VERY - relaxed lunch. The lunch is SO relaxed, that when the cyclists actually resume the race - wine and ciggies in hand - things start to go wrong. However, there IS an eventual stage winner, although I have absolutely no idea who it was! (All the photos are taken from actual 1920s races and I learnt - amongst other things - that, during this period, the cyclists carried spare tyres wrapped around their shoulders ... who knew?)

Last edited:
I have been watching the Olympics at least a little bit each day. It is my favorite sports event.

Here is my sport related song.

Hello, Jon, and hello to all my fellow seasonistas. Thank you for hosting, Jon! I'm up next week, so I hope you will chime in. All of you.

This song is for someone I love dearly who is too far away. The irony here is that the song is called I'll Be There, when, in fact, I can't be there. So, I'll sing and play my heart out into the ether. The Jackson 5 had a hit with this song when I was little and I've always loved it. It was the first song that occurred to me when I read the theme description.

I'll Be There
Berry Gordy/Hal Davis/Bob West/Willie Hutch

Celebration rainbow:-
.. one big smile across the sky, I tell you man God has got style.

Here's a sporty one.
I remember singing it at school, but only the one verse so I've only done one verse here.

Hello again, Jon! This one serves as both a dedication and a sporting celebration. As a fellow Tour de France aficionado, I am dedicating this to you, our Host. To be perfectly honest, not having seen the film, I have absolutely no idea whether the song is even remotely about the actual Tour ... however, THAT is the title. The Stage featured in the accompanying video is an arduous one from some time in the 1920s. It starts with a punishing hill climb, which is followed by a - VERY - relaxed lunch. The lunch is SO relaxed, that when the cyclists actually resume the race - wine and ciggies in hand - things start to go wrong. However, there IS an eventual stage winner, although I have absolutely no idea who it was! (All the photos are taken from actual 1920s races and I learnt - amongst other things - that, during this period, the cyclists carried spare tyres wrapped around their shoulders ... who knew?)

I read somewhere that all the riders had to do their own bike repairs at one time. One rider had to weld his frame and when he found a local blacksmith he was given permission to have someone pump the bellows for him.

Top Bottom