NUD: Hanson Tenor'd Concert (Jumbo Concert)

Ed1

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
This is another true custom in that David Hanson and I worked out what I wanted and then he created it. I loved the first ukulele that he built for me. It had a few "ergonomic" ideas we discussed thrown into the creation, and I thought I would try another with some different ideas. I mentioned to him the idea of creating a tenor-sized body with a concert string length on the order of the Romero ST Concert but being closer to a double bout. Before we had discussed it any further, he had started sketching what it would be like (see below).

When we decided to make this one out of Mango, he showed me the pics of what he ordered and said it would be a few weeks before it arrived and he could start it. While waiting for the Mango, he decided to use some of the Cuban Mahogany he had to make one before making my Mango. I guess it could have been called a prototype.

He found out the Mango he had ordered was taken and he would have to wait for a different set of Mango boards. However, during this time, I was becoming more interested in the Cuban he was working on. The first uke he made for me was made from Cuban and I thought if this one could sound anywhere near as good as the first one I would love to own it. Well, it does sound as good (very much the same tone, resonance, and sustain) as the first one from him. http://ed1.cc/Ukulele/HansonCubanMahogany.mp4

Other than the obvious visual differences from most concerts, what is also different is the zero fret added to allow David to create the ultra-low setup I wanted. It was so low, he wondered how it would work. Because of his great setup, it worked great: no buzzing and virtually no loss of volume from my normal way of playing other ukes.

This is my second Hanson ukulele and it won't be my last. I've never been much for bling, and David's workmanship and lack of ornamentation appeal to me. I once wrote that I am an HMS fan due to the time Andrew, Corey, and Joel have taken with me on past purchases. When it comes to Luthiers, I am a big fan of David Hanson!

Materials
Headplate: Curly Koa.
Neck: Honduran mahogany
Body: Cuban Mahogany
Fret board, bridge, and edge binding: Rosewood.
Nut and saddle: Bone
Finish: TruOil wipes and Lemon Oil Polish

Measurements Concert
Total Scale Length: 15 inch
Fret Board Radius: 12 inch
Body Length: 11.12 inch
Overall Length: 23.6 inch
Nut Width: 1.5 inch
Lower Bout Width: 8.625 inch
Upper Bout Width: 5.75 inch
Lower Bout Depth: 3.25 inch
Upper Bout Depth: 2.75 inch

Attachments

• DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Really beautiful custom. Love the body shape. I have become a fan of the zero fret too.

Congratulations.

Bluesy.

Very nice! David has built two for me also. If I get another, I would probably go the opposite way you did - concert neck and soprano body.

How do you have it tuned? With the big body, I think I'd want to try a low G configuration, maybe with the Romero set or Uke Logic.

What a stunning ukulele. It's great that David is able to try new things and experiment. Your collaboration really paid off.

Congratulations! To both you and David.

Very nice! David has built two for me also. If I get another, I would probably go the opposite way you did - concert neck and soprano body.

How do you have it tuned? With the big body, I think I'd want to try a low G configuration, maybe with the Romero set or Uke Logic.

I have a Romero concert which is also a larger body than normal that came with a low G. I've had it high and low G and have decided it's great at low G.
I may try this one linear sometime in the future. With a zero fret and the nut being more of a guide for the strings, there should be no problem with whatever strings I want to try.

But right now, I love the sound of this new uke with re-entrant C6 and won't be changing strings for a while. I'm also finding that except for some drone/alternate bass fingerpicking work, these days I'm more fascinated by what can be done with the high G than without it.

Thanks for the NUD and congrats. The top does not look like mahogany at all, it must be a special cut. Is this strung re-entrant and what strings were used?

This is another true custom in that David Hanson and I worked out what I wanted and then he created it. I loved the first ukulele that he built for me...When it comes to Luthiers, I am a big fan of David Hanson!

That's really lovely! David is indeed a great person to work with!

Thanks for the NUD and congrats. The top does not look like mahogany at all, it must be a special cut. Is this strung re-entrant and what strings were used?

The body is Cuban Mahohany (Swietenia mahogani) which was the "true" mahogany until it became scarce. Now Honduran Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) is called "true". More than that, however, I'm guessing part of the reason for the look is that this set was not quarter sawn.

This uke has Martin M600s. My last uke from David had M600s which made me put them on six of my other concerts to do a good comparison. It made me appreciate David's work more, but also helped me to like these relatively inexpensive fc strings. I still change strings to other brands more than I need to, but am now also happy with M600s.

Top Bottom