"I Shall Not Be Moved"

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I was moving files to a flash drive to use in my car, and something funny happened. As I was dragging forty-seven songs from "The Million Dollar Quartet" to the flash drive, I got a popup. "'I Shall Not Be Moved' cannot be moved." Of the forty-seven songs, that was the only one that could not be moved! :D

I was able to move it separately, and I cannot duplicate that pop-up, but it was certainly weird.

If you're not familiar with that Quartet, it's worth a look. Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, and Johnny Cash had a jam session in 1956, and it was recorded. The CD is available from Amazon.

Wow, cool, never heard of that group. Maybe it was the name of the song? :D

Today, it would have to be the Billion Dollar Quartet...

Last edited:
I haven't gotten that specific message, but on occasion I have tried to move too much at one time and the USB2 Port on my Mac is slow, so the buffer gets overloaded and either freezes, or says it can't do it for a song or two. Usually I had to start over and move them in two or more groups. (Which sometimes screws up the order of the songs on the flash drive.)

Ain't technology wunderful?

Yeah, man. I love when tech gives us funny unexpected messages.

PeteyHoudini

I must admit, when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it related to a fiber deficiency.

Unrelated IT Help Desk anecdote.

When I started working as the IT guy at a small mental health center (circa 1998), there was this 19-year-old girl in the office who was just plain annoying in every way. I hated dealing with her, and I think everyone else did, too. Just hearing her voice made me cringe. She did a lot of typing of reports and documents for the therapists.

She had problems with her floppy drive (remember floppy drives?) on her computer. Frequent file save errors. Before I got there, they'd already replaced her floppy drive twice due to this error. Eventually, it started happening again, and I didn't want to just replace the drive without verifying the problem. Obviously, there's something else afoot.

Reluctantly, I told her to call me if it happens again and I'll come look at it. It did, she did, and I did. Microsoft Word was throwing a generic "disk write error". Fun.

So, I dug deeper. Went into the file manager and looked at the disk. The disk was full, 0 bytes free. If you tried to copy a file to it from File Manager, you got a proper "disk full" error. But, from Word, it was a "disk write error".

The stupid part is that we were on a network with a file server, and she had her own mapped network drive to save to. But, instead of using that (with nearly limitless space), she was keeping an individual floppy disk in her desk drawer for each of the therapists that she worked for. I guess it worked for a while.

Yeah.

Top Bottom