Review- Ohana Cynthia Lin Concert Ukulele (CK-14-CL)

if you don't like the flower inlay or signature, or want front dots, you can get a plain ol' original CK-14 (with the ubiquitous aquila strings). Cost is a little less even when the bag is factored in. I keep one in my office, just like Vic says. works well as a gentle traveler too (road trip or hotel room vs. backpacking/camping, not rough stuff)

Thanks for the video which I watched with interest. I offer comments below which I hope are constructive.

For personal preference I can understand someone wanting low G on a Uke, but for demonstration purposes doesn’t that make it (the sound) none standard and so of questionable value to your audience? I’m also wondering how the standard Aquila strings on the CK14 compare to the Worth Browns on the CL variant of it; I think that such a side by side string comparison would be useful to potential CK14 purchasers (obviously both tests strung standard gCEA and using your CK14-CL as a test instrument).

The CK-14CL costs about 200 USD from Mim complete with bag, not a small price but not dreadfully expensive. (Ref: https://mimsukes.com/collections/co...in-model-laminate-mahogany-ukulele-w-bag-i248 ) The CK-14 costs about 110 USD from Mim and doesn’t come with a bag, that seems reasonably competitive pricing to me. (Ref. https://mimsukes.com/collections/co...inate-mahogany-matte-with-binding-ukulele-285 ) I’m rather puzzled as to why you didn’t (IIRC) comment on the price of both models and compare what the extra 90 USD gets you over the standard model. A bag (which would have been good to see), some embellishments and different strings for 90 USD? The minor blemish that you mentioned in your video got past Mim and you don’t seem happy about the blemish, at 200 USD for an all laminate Uke you might have some justification in expecting it to be without fault. Mim has a well earned and excellent reputation and I’m wondering whether you have discussed the blemish with her ...

Different folks like different things, the flower on the fretboard wouldn’t be a selling point to me but it might really appeal to someone else. I might like and use side dots but the ones on the front of the fretboard certainly do come in exceedingly handy, removing all of the front dots might add beauty but I’d like a different arrangement that retained most of them. The price difference between the standard and ‘customised’ versions seems a lot to me, but maybe I’m missing the point of a CL model?

Ohana do sell some nice instruments. I have one of their solid mahogany concert Ukes which I purchased as pre-owned; after playing it a lot (the more I play it the more the sound improves) and sorting out a few minor issues I’m now pretty pleased with it. Someone could buy better - I might at some point and there’s always a ‘bigger and better’ Uke - but I believe that to get better they would typically have to spend many multiples of what I paid for my Ohana. Mine’s definitely a long term keeper and whilst I expect to continue to progressively improve as a player I can’t envisage actually ever outgrowing my CK35. YMMV.

Last edited:
I have a CK-35 and really like it. got the -14 because it is basically a laminate clone.

What I really like about Ohana Ukuleles is, according to Mim, it's a small family owned/run company. I've owned two Ohana ukuleles, and still have one of them.

LONG time since Ohana have impressed me i'm afraid - I know Mim does good work with them, but having seen several from elsewhere (including a batch from Ohana direct) the quality control I saw with those was below par (generally).

Safe buying from Mim. Not sure i'd recommend them otherwise

LONG time since Ohana have impressed me i'm afraid - I know Mim does good work with them, but having seen several from elsewhere (including a batch from Ohana direct) the quality control I saw with those was below par (generally).

IIRC you had an SK35 at one point and quite liked it for what it was. Ohana might have a bit of a mixed reputation and whilst I did have to sort my CK35 out I’m delighted with it now; all it needed was a little bit of TLC and for what I paid for it the value has turned out to be excellent. If it were not for Ohana Sopranos having 1&5/16” nuts (too narrow for me) then I would very happily invest in one. You pays your money and you takes your chances; the chances of me outgrowing an SK38 are zero, they sound great, they look great and they’re relatively very affordable ... certainly worth a small risk on the QA, IMHO.

For those in North America Mim does a fine job, but if you’re in the U.K. then QC might be a little bit of a lottery. However, if it ain’t right then send it back to the supplier and be prepared to swallow the return postage costs. OK when it happens it’s not nice, I hate to reject stuff, it’s aggravation and time wasting, I haven’t sent Ukes back in the past but I should have done, and sending it back is your legal right. However it’s not that much of a gamble really and provided that you’re prepared to be hard nosed it’s minimal financial risk, but that’s just my inexpert view.

https://www.gotaukulele.com/2017/06/ohana-sk-35-soprano-review.html

Last edited:

This makes me wonder if my appreciation for Ohana as a budget brand is related to the fact that every one I've ever played (and the one I own) came from Mim's shop.

I'd be interested in knowing what defects or types of defects got through QC. I haven't noticed anything (or at least anything different from/worse than other budget brands) on the ones I've owned and handled, whether they were from Mim's or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom