Hello from Carolina

tluxtele

Reaction score
Hey Everyone.

I'm joining more for my daughter than for me. A few years ago I spent some time in the hospital going through chemo. One of my friends bought me a cheap Kala soprano. As he said, "You can't play a ukulele and not smile. You need a ukulele while you're in the hospital."

It was a great gift. I lost motor function in my hands for a bit and couldn't hold a pick to play guitar and I didn't have the strength to play bass. But I could hold a uke and strum with my index finger.

The high G string threw me for a loop and I didn't connect that it was the same set up as the bottom 4 guitar strings on the 5th fret. I'll blame that on chemo-brain :) So once I got back to normal I just hung it in my bedroom.

Fast forward to now and my oldest is interested in the uke. She's always been "interested" in playing an instrument but has never put in the time. I set up an old electric of mine for her and she messed around for a little bit, but eventually it just stayed in the corner of her room.

We got back from a week of camp a month or so ago and she asked if she could play my ukulele. She's helped sing a few worship songs around the campfire in the past. She said she'd like to be able to lead worship around the campfire but she has to depend on someone else to play. She'd like to play herself, but the guitar is just too bulky right now.

To be honest, I thought it'd be like the guitar. It's not. She probably averages an hour or two a day on it. I think she might actually stick with it.

So, being a musician, who knows nothing about ukes, I'm hear to learn on her behalf. I don't think it'll be very long before she'll want a better uke that will stay in tune. I wouldn't be surprised if she wants one with a pup so she can plug up and play at church. I've got time, but I figured I could go ahead and start researching now.

Anyway, long intro post. Thanks for the site. I look forward to picking y'all's brains a bit. Not sure I'll have anything to offer along the way.

Welcome.
And if all you have to offer is a smile and a kind word or two…that is sufficient.
Hang around long enough and you will garner a plethora of ideas and opinions. Take what you want and leave the rest.

Welcome tluxtele. That's great that your daughter is sticking with it.

Getting a setup for the uke might make it easier for her to play.

I hope your situation will allow you to play as well. Then both of you can have big fun.

Regardless, enjoy the Forum.

Welcome to UU, tluxtele!
Ukes are fun and addictive. I hope both you and your daughter enjoy learning and growing your skills!

Welcome! I did the same thing as your friend: when my bud was in the hospital doing chemo, I knew he couldn’t play guitar so I got him a long-neck soprano with a low G to keep him occupied and give him something other than cancer to talk about. He said he loved it.

The ukulele’s a great instrument and the resources here are fantastic whenever you have questions. Hang around, make some friends, and enjoy your time.

E Komo Mai! Where in NC are you? I have some musician friends in the Winston Salem area.

Welcome to the forums!

I am so glad that the uke helped you in chemo. I did something similar for my mother-in-law when she had some health issues. Just strumming it helped her.

There are some good tutorials out there for your daughter. My ukulele club did the beginner Cynthia Lin packet/videos to help everyone learn the basics.

Thanks for the welcomes. Pretty nice place y'all have here.
Getting a setup for the uke might make it easier for her to play.

I hope your situation will allow you to play as well. Then both of you can have big fun.
The uke is a Kala KA-15S. For being a cheap instrument, it actually plays and sounds alright. It's never been setup. It doesn't hold tune for very long. She's tuning it a few times a day. But for a $50-$60 instrument, I'm not complaining.

And as to my situation. It was neuropathy from one of the chemo drugs they were giving me. Once they realized it they stopped giving me that particular poison. I still deal with neuropathy in my feet but my hands are mostly back to normal. I'm back to playing guitar and bass without thinking about it. I haven't really been playing any uke because of time and when I was "learning" it I was on chemo. There's only so much poison one can take in before it starts affecting the brain. Because of chemo, that high G string and not realizing it was the top 4 strings of a guitar up 2.5 steps I didn't get very far. It's basically just been hanging. Now that I have a foundation to build on, I mess with it every now and then... but it has to be when I have time and when my daughter isn't playing it. Very rarely do those two things line up.

E Komo Mai! Where in NC are you? I have some musician friends in the Winston Salem area.
That's not too far... but not really close either. I'm on the west side of the triangle area (Chapel Hill/Durham).

tluxtele, welcome to UU and hello from Chicago. Sounds like it's time to get your daughter or yourself their own ukulele. You can usually find a reasonable priced used uke. Best of luck and happy to hear you are back playing guitar and bass.

Top Bottom