Question about strings on my Flight travel uke

KoaKat

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I just got a Flight travel uke (TUS-32, Bernadette's Sakura model) which was described as having Aquila Sugar strings. The uke came with a tag that says Aquila BIOCARBON. On one side of the tag is says Mod. 80 CK. On the other it says Mod. AQ80015318AKW. I searched online (including the Aquila site) and could not find any info using those search terms.

Anyone know anything about these strings? I like them so far and would like to know where to find them if I decide I want to keep using them.

Thanks!

kathy

According to Flight’s website, the TUS-32 definitely comes with Aquila Sugar strings. You don’t need the tag numbers. Simply google “Aquila Strings” if you want more information about the strings. They can be purchased from a number of online vendors. Two places in particular are Uke Republic and StringsByMail.com. I have a Flight travel uke as well, and really enjoy it. Hope you have as much fun with yours as I do with mine! :)

According to Flight’s website, the TUS-32 definitely comes with Aquila Sugar strings. You don’t need the tag numbers. Simply google “Aquila Strings” if you want more information about the strings. They can be purchased from a number of online vendors. Two places in particular are Uke Republic and StringsByMail.com. I have a Flight travel uke as well, and really enjoy it. Hope you have as much fun with yours as I do with mine! :)

Thanks, Jan. I have seen the Sugar strings for sale online. I just wasn't sure if that is what mine are. I am enjoying the uke so far! Last night hubby says, "You've been playing that thing for like four hours!" Actually, it was closer to two hours. It just felt like four to him. :)

Thanks again.

k.

I suspect that Flight has been experimenting with different strings for their plastic ukuleles. My Flight TUS came with the white Aquila strings, which I hated. They sounded very harsh on a plastic ukulele. I replaced them with Worth Brown strings for a smoother richer sound (to me anyway).

I suspect that Flight has been experimenting with different strings for their plastic ukuleles. My Flight TUS came with the white Aquila strings, which I hated. They sounded very harsh on a plastic ukulele. I replaced them with Worth Brown strings for a smoother richer sound (to me anyway).

I've had very good results with my good old "go-to" Martin M-600 strings on my Flight TUS-35 (ORANGE-- yes, everyone needs one!).

I generally love tuning to the higher "a D F# B" tuning on a soprano uke, but my Flight really seems to like the more common (nowadays at least) "g C E A" tuning, so I stick with the latter tuning on the Flight.

Hello, everyone. I just got a Flight travel uke (TUS-32, Bernadette's Sakura model) which was described as having Aquila Sugar strings. The uke came with a tag that says Aquila BIOCARBON. On one side of the tag is says Mod. 80 CK. On the other it says Mod. AQ80015318AKW. I searched online (including the Aquila site) and could not find any info using those search terms.

Anyone know anything about these strings? I like them so far and would like to know where to find them if I decide I want to keep using them.

From StringsbyMail.com:
Aquila's Bionylon ukulele strings are the first eco-friendly synthetic strings in the world, according to the company.
They're 63 percent derived from castor oil plants. Aquila says this cuts carbon dioxide emissions during manufacturing by more than half when compared to other nylons used for strings.
So how do they sound? Warm and mellow. Just don't try eating them if you need a laxative.

Aquila Ukulele Sugar Strings ...Derived from sugar cane, the sound of these transparent strings is clearly brilliant, clean and prompt.

From Aquila's YouTube channel: "Aquila is known worldwide for its constant innovation and discovery of new materials: Nylgut, Bionylon, Sugar, Red Series, Silkgut, Biocarbon." Based on that, it sounds as if BioNYLON and BioCARBON are different materials. Maybe Biocarbon is a new product that is not yet widely available ... ?

k.

PS -- Forum software seems not to like those Registered Trademark symbols!

Last edited:
From Aquila's YouTube channel: "Aquila is known worldwide for its constant innovation and discovery of new materials: Nylgut, Bionylon, Sugar, Red Series, Silkgut, Biocarbon." Based on that, it sounds as if BioNYLON and BioCARBON are different materials. Maybe Biocarbon is a new product that is not yet widely available ... ?

k.

PS -- Forum software seems not to like those Registered Trademark symbols!

Hi Kathy,

What color are the strings? The Sugar strings are a milky color. Aquila also makes a string for Martin (polygut) that's a variation of their old CarbonBlack strings. These are charcoal/gray.

The color may tell you which is which.

Milky would be a good way to describe them, especially the thicker C string. Maybe they are Sugar.

k.

The new Aquila Sugar strings are indeed more white in colour than they used to be. Previously they were completely clear (which I adored) but they changed the formula in order to mitigate the awful squeaky feel they had. Now it's harder to distinguish them from regular Nylgut strings.

Biocarbon is a new term for me but I do believe they are the same as the Sugar strings which are made out of some kind of bioplastic that's derived from sugar cane, if I recall correctly. Aquila also make bionylon strings but I doubt they'd put those on any instrument as stock. They are very unpopular strings. :D

Top Bottom