Advise on how SPAM Posts are to be handled...

WebParrot (s2)

Wisconsin, U.S.A.
UU VIP
Reaction score
Seems like there's been another flurry of spam posts.

Typically a "first-time" commenter on an older post and the comment is completely unrelated to the topic, or ukulele, for that matter. Sometimes it's just wordy ramble, making no sense at all. Some have URL links to external websites, unrelated -again- to the topic.

Is there a way to label a suspicious post so the Mod's can deal with it?

(See next post… use the triangle…)

Last edited:
Just report the post and the mods will delete them.
There is a triangle button on the left bottom corner of each post, it's the report button.
I every reported two spam posts and they got deleted.

I think the forum should better be changed to that it only allows members with decent post amount to post in Ukulele or any serious forums, and for complete new members they can only post in the general forums.

The General Forum is where I've seen most of the spam. I always use the triangle to report spam.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Just report the post and the mods will delete them.
There is a triangle button on the left bottom corner of each post, it's the report button.
I every reported two spam posts and they got deleted.

I think the forum should better be changed to that it only allows members with decent post amount to post in Ukulele or any serious forums, and for complete new members they can only post in the general forums.

Dang… thanks, completely missed that!
Well, hopefully it will alert others to do so.
Thx again…

Seems like there's been another flurry of spam posts.

Typically a "first-time" commenter on an older post and the comment is completely unrelated to the topic, or ukulele, for that matter. Sometimes it's just wordy ramble, making no sense at all. Some have URL links to external websites, unrelated -again- to the topic.

Is there a way to label a suspicious post so the Mod's can deal with it?

(See next post… use the triangle…)
The last days it's been bad. I report post and ignore spammer then with a refresh they are gone.

I just did that for two posters and it’s AMAZING how much it cleared up in the new posts feed!
Yes, thanks all for the pointer re: Ignore.
For anyone who wants to gauge the scope of the current barrage, view the forums-wide New Posts list (which is how I always browse, here).

I’ve been reporting the posts, but the spammers’ removal can take time. “Ignore” works a treat, meantime. Thx!

~ S.

Oy, there is more spam this morning than real posts! I got tired of reporting them because you are forced to wait between posts.

Oy, there is more spam this morning than real posts! I got tired of reporting them because you are forced to wait between posts.
Yeah, total mess here today with all the spam, bailing out for now. Cleanup on aisle three!

Seems too easy to do, hope these spam waves can be prevented in the future.

Unfortunately, Ukulele Underground is getting itself a reputation for being REALLY slow in cleaning up SPAM, so there is only going to be more and more and more of it going forwards.
Who here has the ear of the owners? They really need to ask some of the long standing members to volunteer some of their time, and be given the authority to clean up obvious spam.

Unfortunately, Ukulele Underground is getting itself a reputation for being REALLY slow in cleaning up SPAM, so there is only going to be more and more and more of it going forwards.
Who here has the ear of the owners? They really need to ask some of the long standing members to volunteer some of their time, and be given the authority to clean up obvious spam.
I’m hoping there’s a cleaner solution, a setting or set of parameters within the new software that tips things back towards prevention vs cleanup, a much better use of resources.

[The current influx suggests the recent software updates/new platform opened a door….]
I guess we’ll see!

~ S.

I was a little concerned to see that one of the spammers had posted in the site announcements section, since that's not somewhere most users should be able to post.

The Talk Bass forum uses the same forum app, XenFro, and I never see spam there, it's one of the most active forums on the web. I'll PM Aaron to contact Talk Bass about how they avoid the spam.

When I tried to report spam I get a message I must wait 24 seconds before performing this action. Happened 4 or 5 times in a row, so the spam reporting function does not encourage use... Plus, no triangle icon, just the word "Report."
Huh. I've reported several spam messages and never gotten that message. Maybe you're too quick with the typing? ;)

I’m hoping there’s a cleaner solution, a setting or set of parameters within the new software that tips things back towards prevention vs cleanup, a much better use of resources.

[The current influx suggests the recent software updates/new platform opened a door….]
I guess we’ll see!

~ S.
On any successfully running internet forum that I've been on, there are moderators working behind the scenes, usually/often unpaid, to clean up the messes such as spam and sometimes arguments between posters.
Now we can all hope that we are adults here and we don't get into arguments that need to be cleaned up, however every internet forum needs to deal with spam, and we don't have moderators here often enough to clean the spam up. The slower our forum gets at cleaning up the spam, the more we will get.
This forum needs help from its members to stay clean from spam and the owners/operators need to ask the members for help. This is just how most/many other forums operate anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom