Has anyone designed a uke to accommodate a woman's body?

I heard that Amy #2 is going to Lori, and I can't wait for her feedback!

Our local Ohana dealers came to the jam last week, with a load of lovely ukes for sale (many walked out the door). At the end of the evening, the woman dealer got to see the uke, hear the story (she loves how it came to be!) and then play the uke. Then she made her husband (the other dealer) come over and hear the story and then play the uke. And they both were blown away.

Of course they wanted Brad's contact info, so you may hear from Elayne soon, if you haven't already, Brad.

Yes, it's true... I can't wait! So, the Amy #2 is coming to Los Angeles, and anyone within driving distance is welcome to come and see it when it gets here. I hope to set up some sort of gathering where a group of us could all meet at the same time, and I could video your comments about the prototype. I think both men and women should test the design, and give Bradford some feedback. So, I am in West LA area, between Westwood and Santa Monica. Anyone interested in trying out the Amy #2, let me know. I am trying to think of a good place to meet, where we could have a group of us and I could set up the video camera. Ideally, a sheltered area would be best for the sound recording end of things, as well for the ability to hear the acoustic qualities of the new ukulele. Unfortunately, my one bedroom apartment is too small for more than 3 guests. Anyone have any ideas about a good meeting place? It would be nice if we could find a place that is centrally located for those who are interested.
Lori, that sounds like a great idea! I'd love to offer up our house but (a) it's not exactly centrally located, (b) I know my husband wouldn't go for it, and (c) parking is a real pain around here. :(

Only place I can think of off the top of my head is maybe McCabe's. It's in your area, they have concerts there, so they have the room for it and I'm sure the acoustics are excellent. Perhaps they'd be willing to let you have a 2-3 hour slot when they're not otherwise booked with group lessons or such. Surely with a crowd of ukers showing up, many of them will be inclined to buy something while they're there. :)

I see they're having a "continuing uke" class 8-9:30 pm Mondays, Sep 21-Nov 9. Might be a situation where you could have 6-8pm slot that they could announce a week or two ahead to the class, inviting them to come and try out a new uke design. Contact the instuctor, perhaps he would allow the "friends of Lori" who show up to audit the class and he might garner some more students out of the deal. Could be a win/win. :)

Only place I can think of off the top of my head is maybe McCabe's. It's in your area, they have concerts there, so they have the room for it and I'm sure the acoustics are excellent. Perhaps they'd be willing to let you have a 2-3 hour slot when they're not otherwise booked with group lessons or such. Surely with a crowd of ukers showing up, many of them will be inclined to buy something while they're there. :)

I see they're having a "continuing uke" class 8-9:30 pm Mondays, Sep 21-Nov 9. Might be a situation where you could have 6-8pm slot that they could announce a week or two ahead to the class, inviting them to come and try out a new uke design. Contact the instuctor, perhaps he would allow the "friends of Lori" who show up to audit the class and he might garner some more students out of the deal. Could be a win/win. :)

I thought about McCabe's, and they have a performance room in the back that might be available. A Monday night would make it difficult for those coming any distance to make, since the traffic makes travel times unreal. I might not be able to make that time frame myself, because my free lance schedule is unpredictable, and on days when I work, I get home after 7 pm. But, maybe a weekend meeting.

It depends on the number of people and where they all are coming from. I know they have uke meetings Island Bazaar, but that is an hour away (normal drive time, double +:eek: that for rush hours) for me, and they meet on a weekday (I think).

When I get the ukulele, I will call McCabe to see what they say.

How many of you would like to see it, and where would you be coming from?

–Lori

Well the Amy 2 has arrived!

So, the Amy #2 is now here in Los Angeles. She is beautiful in person. The koa Bradford chose shimmers, and has subtle streaks of orange. The back is really beautiful, and that curve looks really elegant. The binding is a light colored wood (maple ?) and the sides are a darker, more dramatic koa. The sides and the neck blend beautifully together, yet the lighter front and back also blends well with the neck. The abalone pieces add a lot of depth, and just a touch of color.
Concert size, scale length 14.75" plus 1/8" compensation
Solid koa top, back and sides
Honduran mahogany neck
Ebony fretboard, bridge and headplate
12" radius on fretboard
Abalone position markers with side dots
Abalone sun inlay on top
Slotted headstock
Grover geared tuners, gold with black buttons
Tweed hard case
Aquilia strings

So far, I have played it a little bit and it is comfortable to play. It is my first experience with a concert sized uke. The balance is very good, around the mid way point of the length. The neck is comfortable, and the action good. The shape of the body hasn't seemed to affect the sound too much. It sounds just as good (or better) compared to my other ukes, and will probably improve as it ages. The action is good.

So, anyone in the Los Angeles area interested in seeing it, let me know. Hopefully we can get a few of us together to try it out. If we could come up with a day and time, we could try and accommodate as many as possible. I will post pictures later.

–Lori

how bout something like this, an add on of suction cups this will allow more comfort for female or males with man boobs, and has the added functions of no hand playing, and can even be worn as a top (simply allow suction onto the chest area) problem solved this thread can now be closed production will begin next year copy right of keiths clothing for the female chest

Attachments

• suction cup.jpg
    suction cup.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 58
how bout something like this, an add on of suction cups this will allow more comfort for female or males with man boobs, and has the added functions of no hand playing, and can even be worn as a top (simply allow suction onto the chest area) problem solved this thread can now be closed production will begin next year copy right of keiths clothing for the female chest
Well, that is creative thinking. But those suction cups will only hold on bare wet skin. I think over time, it would not be practical. It does limit the angle one would play as well. In the summer, it would be way too hot. And, do you really want to see a shirtless male with "man boobs".:rolleyes: I think the thread is still alive!

–Lori

[Serious question.]

I think you know what I mean. Protrusions in the front of our personal selves make holding a uke the way men do impossible. Either the uke sits on top of our girls [impractical, awkward and silly] or we have to sit and wedge it between body parts to get it to sit still.

So I'm wondering...with all the luthier talent in this forum, has anyone tried to make a uke that would work with [or around] what women have, not fight against it?

:confused:

Amy, I'm inspired. I am going to sit down right now and put together a few designs then present them to our female band members. It never occurred to me that the usual ukulele shape was "inopportune" for female players. In the meantime, you can check Julia Nunes, Taimane Gardner and Marilyn Monroe for possible (generally sub-protrusional) positions.

Hope this helps,
Erich

So, the Amy #2 is now here in Los Angeles. She is beautiful in person. The koa Bradford chose shimmers, and has subtle streaks of orange. The back is really beautiful, and that curve looks really elegant. The binding is a light colored wood (maple ?) and the sides are a darker, more dramatic koa. The sides and the neck blend beautifully together, yet the lighter front and back also blends well with the neck. The abalone pieces add a lot of depth, and just a touch of color.
Concert size, scale length 14.75" plus 1/8" compensation
Solid koa top, back and sides
Honduran mahogany neck
Ebony fretboard, bridge and headplate
12" radius on fretboard
Abalone position markers with side dots
Abalone sun inlay on top
Slotted headstock
Grover geared tuners, gold with black buttons
Tweed hard case
Aquilia strings

So far, I have played it a little bit and it is comfortable to play. It is my first experience with a concert sized uke. The balance is very good, around the mid way point of the length. The neck is comfortable, and the action good. The shape of the body hasn't seemed to affect the sound too much. It sounds just as good (or better) compared to my other ukes, and will probably improve as it ages. The action is good.

So, anyone in the Los Angeles area interested in seeing it, let me know. Hopefully we can get a few of us together to try it out. If we could come up with a day and time, we could try and accommodate as many as possible. I will post pictures later.

–Lori

So what is happing

Lori is sending the uke back to me, so I can set it up with an extra nut and saddle, so she can switch back and forth between high G and low G tunings. Once she gets it back, she will do a video.

Brad

I just read the whole thread and I think this concave back uke is great! While I don't have all that much up front, this looks like it would be a lot more comfortable to hold. I alternate between holding the uke on my chest and propping it up on my leg. Although I like the soprano size, I've been thinking about switching to a tenor because it would be easier to hold. (Well, at least that will be my justification for spending the money.)

Anyway, congratulations on a fabulous new design. It's gorgeous and practical!

Top Bottom