Is there anything Moore Bettah than this uke?

That uke is so beautiful it's ridiculous.

Absolutely stunnung!!! Congratulations. Can't wait to hear it. Thanks for sharing the pictures. :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown:

Hmm, my UAS must really be in remission. After looking at that awesome piece of art, I have yet to send Chuck a deposit....:p

Seriously though, that uke looks out of this world. I've always wanted a Moore Bettah, even had a design drawn up. Perhaps someday down the road.

Congrats!

This is the funniest part of your story.

LOLOL....have you seen the "4 Mermaids?"

mermaid_uke_006.jpg

Now THAT'S flash...literally and figuratively. :p

Hmm, my UAS must really be in remission. After looking at that awesome piece of art, I have yet to send Chuck a deposit....:p

Seriously though, that uke looks out of this world. I've always wanted a Moore Bettah, even had a design drawn up. Perhaps someday down the road.

Congrats!

For you to be holding back...I would definitely have to agree! You've got one heck of a collection. An MBU is calling you...listen...can't you hear it? :p

Thanks George ......and thank you to everyone for the congrats.

This is a dream that I have had for awhile now and I am very fortunate to be able to own one of Chuck's masterful creations. I merely made some choices. Chuck deserves all the props here.

Moorebetta

Chuck is indeed an artist. I took delivery of a Tenor in early June and I don't think my feet have touched the ground since. He was most generous in sending progress photos and answering questions on how the build gets done, even expanded his process page to help explain what was happening. The photo attached is Chuck holding my ukulele before shipment. It arrived in good stead at 8 am at my work the second day after he sent it from Pahoa. Didn't get much work done that day.....

Attachments

• PIa.jpg
    PIa.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 81
Spooner, did your uke arrive yet? I received mine yesterday.

Well after waiting all day on Saturday...no...it didn't arrive.
The USPS here in NYC sucks donkey kongs. If you've ever seen Seinfeld..let me tell you...Newman is every postal employee in NYC!!!!

They claimed to have delivered it on Sunday...LIES!!!!!!!!!!
They claimed to have left a note...LIES!!!!!!!!

However, I picked it up today!! :)

I got home, opened her up and found everything to be intact.
She arrived safely without any damage.

Chuck put in a care/maintenance/feeding manual, extra strings, saddles and MISI pick up info.
Of course the MBU tshirt was thrown in and is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
He also included the headstock sketch that outlined which materials were used where.
That was pretty awesome!

The uke.....

Aesthetically... exquisite!
Everything lines up so nicely. All of the joints, butts and so forth are really outstanding.
I've seen a number of customs and production ukes that show some flaws around the first fret (where the board meets the neck). The build on this thing is just too much for words!
The abalone on this thing is on steroids!
It shines even in the dark!
The curl of the wood..if you move/tilt it just so it looks as if a sea of beautiful curly koa is rolling in to shore!
The shape of everything, the material....stupendous!

I changed the strings immediately. It was strung up with low wound G . I do not like wound strings on any of my ukes.
Personally, I do not like the sound of streaky strings on an ukulele.
That's for guitars.
While, I like low G, I prefer high G. My Makani has low G and I am going to keep it that way.
Sometimes I am in the mood for low G..but more often than not it's the high road for me and I plan on playing this one until there is no fret board left.

The sound....

The sound is VERY nice.
There is a nice balance of highs and lows.
The sustain is good.
The volume is very good.
The action is excellent.
Overall..this is quite possibly the best ukulele I have ever heard.
It definitely has a Hawaiian sound.

I like Aquillas on this. I am sure if I put Worths on it, the sound would get that "angelic" sound but I would lose out
on the nice vibrating lows that this one has.
Worths do not have a great bass response but their highs are great!
I like a perfect balance and this one has it!

One thing to note also is that I can get different tones out of this depending on how I strum.
I can get a more bass mellow sound and I can get a more of a high treble sound depending on how I strum.
That's a GOOD thing!

Jokingly, I emailed Chuck and told him that I might have to return it because it wouldn't stay in tune and we need to figure out why lol. He replied telling me because the strings were new lolol. I guess people have contacted him and said this sort of thing seriously lol.

Again...a big MAHALO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
to Chuck for such a fine crafted, amazing, stupendous, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious ukulele!!! This puts an end to UAS for me!!! Really...I mean it this time. :D

My next vids will feature the Spoonah-lele!!! Keep an eye on my YouTube channel thingie. ;)

Last edited:
I think we both worried a bit over the weekend when it didn't arrive on time. But it's all good now.
One clarification.....Did you really receive the uke with a wound C? If that's the case I know Newman was playing it over the weekend because I don't own any Aquila sets with wound Cs. I guess stranger things have happened in NY.
Looking forward to the video.

I think we both worried a bit over the weekend when it didn't arrive on time. But it's all good now.
One clarification.....Did you really receive the uke with a wound C? If that's the case I know Newman was playing it over the weekend because I don't own any Aquila sets with wound Cs. I guess stranger things have happened in NY.
Looking forward to the video.

Chuck..if the uke thing ever falls through...you'll make a great proof reader. :p

Typo...fixeded it up. :D

Overall..this is quite possibly the best ukulele I have ever heard.
It definitely has a Hawaiian sound.

I felt the same way about mine. (still do!)

Glad to hear you get to play with that beauty. You may never want to put it down.

I felt the same way about mine. (still do!)

Glad to hear you get to play with that beauty. You may never want to put it down.

I have been busting in the strings today, testing out tones, sweet spots, strums and finger picking. This uke is great now...and it will only get better...Moore bettah as she opens up!!! :)

Another MBU owner...COOL!!! :shaka:

Man, cool pics of Moore Bettah ukes appearing left and right!

I do have one question regarding Spooner's uke. Was it built to be a low-G uke from the start? Or is it low-G because Chuck always string them up that way? (seems to be the case from browsing his website. Don't think I've seen a high-G tenor there)

Some builders take the tuning into consideration when building a custom uke. I'm just wondering if that's the case here or if it's built the same regardless of tuning. I've ordered a couple of customs and specified high-G when ordering. The only real reason I did that is because I knew they compensated their saddles and wanted to make sure I didn't end up with a low-G saddle.

Had my MB for 9 months now and she is opening up really nicely. I use to play my uke ever so gently, didn't want to get any fingernail scratches on the finish...well, now I play without worrying about wear marks and I can hear it maturing.

The nitro finish is quite durable and can be polished out if I want. When you posting a video Spooner?

Top Bottom