Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Kala U Bass

Default New Kala U Bass

Bought this from musicguymic for $600. Yeah the price seems a bit steep, but it comes with a decent hard foam case, a nice little humidifier from Mic and a very nice Shadow passive piezo bass pickup with four separate crystals and jack which goes for about $125.

The uke itself is not that special. It's a mahogany baritone Kala made in China. It's fitted with a wide neck and special bridge to handle Owen Holt's Road Toad poly bass strings and to hold the Shadow saddle.

The sound is where this thing kicks. The Shadow needs no preamp and comes through nicely with absolutely no hum. Un-amped volume is lacking, but you'd expect that with such a small body. Still, it's loud enough for practice.

The strings are a dream to play. Very easy on the fingers (for those of us non-bass players used to thin little nylon soprano strings.)

Here's a sample. This was recorded with a touch of distortion and compression. Nothing musical, just gives you an idea of what it sounds like.

Quote Originally Posted by jkevinwolfe View Post
    Bought this from musicguymic for $600.
    Whoa, very cool! Jealous. She sounds sweet.

You got one!! I want one with every fiber of my being. I just can't justify saving up the $600. Great purchase man, and she sounds awesome in the sample!

The price tag scared me off for about three minutes. Kidding. I'm not a bass player but needed a bottom end for my recordings. I like to play bass chords and this is a good option for that. Much easier than doing it on a standard bass or the fretless Ashbory.

The body joins at the 12th fret and the fretboard is only 16 frets long, so playing the upper octave is pretty much out, but overall I think it will give me years of practical use. I have been told by a few people that these strings are good for a few years. I like that part.

I soo want one..Wow that's alot... but she sure does sound awesome in the sample! Loads of fun I'd imagine.

San Jose, California via `Ewa Beach, O`ahu, Hawai`i

for $400 more you can get locust's roadtoad bufo bass. well worth it. it's in the marketplace here
    200 years of Unification. 117 years of ILLEGAL OCCUPATION.

I want this so badly for just the reasons you've stated.

Damn having to buy a car...

I'm positive the Bufo is a substantially better uke. Owen Holt makes great stuff. This has Owen's strings and a really nice pickup so it will suffice for my needs.

PD: Definitely liking it more the more I use it.

sweet uke

Youtube | Facebook http://twitter.com/#!/stephenUKE

Mainland red cedar tenor Lanikai O-8 from MIM! Luna HONU Soprano. Gold Tone Concert Banjo . I am converting people to the ukulele one strum at a time

thanks for the sound sample and review. it sounds great!

and that price, ye-ouch!

Thread Information