New Kala U Bass

That is way cool. I started building one before I got let go on my job and that side tracked me. What kind of strings are on it? Ashbory?
It sounds great guess I have to get mine finished.

i mailed kala yesterday. i am left handed and i wanted to know if they are planning a run of leftie models...and the answer... YES, it will take about 8 months but they are planning it! i'm gonna pre order, i have to have it.

I'd definitely like one, but the price just hurts...

Excellent sound sample, btw! :shaka:

how is it supposed to be tuned...i would assume DGBE or is it EADG like a bass

I bought the fretless, Spruce top, and I love it! I posted this in another area:

I just got mine last week and I gigged with it last night. I brought my acoustic Michael Kelly along just in case all hell broke loose. Well, it didn't. All of the members of the band loved the sound. I agree that if you work with the EQs you can get quite a full and robust sound. My husband, a pro pianist, was sitting in the audience and he loved the sound as well. This particular gig has a small band area so it is nice to use a small instrument instead of the long necks I usually negotiate in this space. I will need to practice the shorter spaces between frets to get the tuning more perfect but I did not feel I was off the mark much. It is new so I had to tune more than usual but...I think today, after its workout, it will be more stable. We play bluegrass, folk, and blues. Worked well in all those genres. It had the smokiness I needed for Summertime and the crispness for moving patterns in Blue Yodel. I am happy and very pleased to have this in my collection.

It's still less than a lot of good basses! I am curious if anyone has used these things at pretty high volume? I am wondering about feedback. I play in a semi-loud band, but would love to use one.

It's still less than a lot of good basses! I am curious if anyone has used these things at pretty high volume? I am wondering about feedback. I play in a semi-loud band, but would love to use one.

Yes, same question here... I have an el/ac bass guitar and it's not easy to play it with drums ext because of feedback issues.

I don't know if this is allowed here, but they have then for $400 here http://www.ukeladymusic.com/store/catalog.php?item=144
I'm pretty interested in one of these. They play the same as a regular bass guitar, right?

This is by far my favorite version of stand by me ever recorded that has been brought to my attention... EVER. Just so happens to be a Uke and Bass Uke version. Good stuff. Anybody notice most things sound better on a Uke of some sort? :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HchbmLIV3w

Played several gigs with it now---I am forever spoiled!

Through several medical events (read breast cancer!), I had become compromised in strength. So, I gradually went from the upright acoustic bass, to electric guitar basses, to an upright electric bass to the Kala U-Bass. OMG! It is easy to carry around (one of my issues now) and in tight gig spaces, a wonder on the bandstand. I have the fretless version and found the adaptation to the shorter fretboard easy to accommodate. I do watch my intervals a bit more carefully but should anyway. The sound is indistinguishable from any of the basses that I have loved in the past. I do use a pre-amp because I like a bit more oomph and control over the timbre of the instrument. All in all, I am thrilled to death. Getting to a gig, loading the car....all the glamour of gigging...is made so much easier with this bass. Worth every penny---that's what I make gigging anyway! Now, I can downsize my car to a mini-Cooper (LOTS more gigs to get that I am afraid!)

Just got the spruce version and I love it. Can't wait to play it with our family Uke group.

I played the fretless version when i was in hawaii. and i loved it!!!! does anyone know if the mahogany one is really worth the extra 100 i know it has much better tuners but does it make that much of a difference. i dont know how to play bass do you think i should go with the fretted or fretless?? i like the "freeness" of the fretless but do you think it would be hard for me to pick it up ? and can you just use a guitar amp for this or do you think i should get a bass amp? i was looking at the roland bass rx micro cube good amp anyone know??

I played the fretless version when i was in hawaii. and i loved it!!!! does anyone know if the mahogany one is really worth the extra 100 i know it has much better tuners but does it make that much of a difference. i dont know how to play bass do you think i should go with the fretted or fretless?? i like the "freeness" of the fretless but do you think it would be hard for me to pick it up ? and can you just use a guitar amp for this or do you think i should get a bass amp? i was looking at the roland bass rx micro cube good amp anyone know??

If you don't play bass and want to start with a UBass, I'd suggest you start with a fretted one. It will be more fun, since you'll be able to find the right note right away.

As for the extra $100: In my opinion, basses with an all mahogany body sound way better than others. But obviously, that is a very subjective thing. Tastes are different. I own a mahogany top UBass and I just love it.

I've seen posts over at talkbass by folks who have played both that say they sound the same. One guy who has also played the acacia wood model says the same. Just depends on if it's worth it to you. Also I agree, get the fretted one.
also yes get a bass amp not a guitar amp. I play bass and have a regular bass rig, but I picked up a small Fender rumble 30 bass combo ($179) to use with the Ubass. The small rumble 15 is $99. Not real loud but good enough for practice.

I've seen posts over at talkbass by folks who have played both that say they sound the same. One guy who has also played the acacia wood model says the same. Just depends on if it's worth it to you. Also I agree, get the fretted one.
also yes get a bass amp not a guitar amp. I play bass and have a regular bass rig, but I picked up a small Fender rumble 30 bass combo ($179) to use with the Ubass. The small rumble 15 is $99. Not real loud but good enough for practice.

Have you played the Ubass through your regular rig? My question that no one has answered yet is: how are they at fairly loud volumes? I have an Ampeg SVT 3 Pro head and (usually) an Ampeg 4x10 cabinet, and don't normally run through the PA (I wish I did, but neither of the bands seem to want to mess with micing or D/Iing anything....). So my onstage rig is the only thing filling the room with bass. I am not HUGELY loud on stage but I am wondering if there would be feedback issues. I also normally have to stand fairly close to my amp, because of space constraints. Any thoughts?

No, I haven't. My guess is that you would have feedback issues just like any other amplified acoustic instrument. If I was in your situation I would maybe buy the solid body version OR get a 10 band EQ stomp box to fight feedback OR get a smaller amp for the ubass.
There is a guy over at talkbass.com that uses his with a large rig. Check out this thread he started....
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=656509&highlight=kala
hope this helps.
cb

Just thought i'd add a pic of my Ubass and little amp.
UbassRig.jpg

Top Bottom