Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Kala U Bass

I just played one of those at the vendor area at the Tahoe Uke Fest. It really was fun, and sounded great through a little cube bass amp. Those strings are funny, but it all worked.

$600 is not much for a nice instrument.

Bluke, Glad to hear you got a chance to play one. Owen Holt, the guy who invented the strings and designed the U Bass was there. I hope you got to meet him. Can't say enough about good things about him.

Nice to know you think it was not too pricey. I had been wrestling with that notion. But realizing that the custom HipShot tuners and the Shadow pickup together retail for about $225, the price seems justified.

Default roadtoad for sale

Hi Guys/Gals:

I've got one of Owen's semihollows for sale. It's in perfect condition and is a great little instrument. why do I want to I want to sell?

1) I'm really a tenor player

2) It would make my wife feel better because I bought a Kanilea tenor this past summer

3) I just don't have time to focus on both tneor and bass

I would sell it for $600 which is what I paid. No scratches, no nothing wrong hardly played. It took Owen 6-8 months to have it ready for me. I picked it up at his house.

Here's the thing: I live in Berkeley and am not real hit to doing things by mail where I could get cheated and you should want to see it first. Any potential buyers in my local area? or someone willing to drive? Send me an email and I'll send pictures: kjbjarne@yahoo.com no haggling, please. firm price. I don't need to sell. It would just be nice for me and you. p.s. look it up at the road toad site and you'll get all the specs. semi-hollow

Default roadtoad for sale

Hi Guys/Gals:

I've got one of Owen's semihollows for sale. It's in perfect condition and is a great little instrument. why do I want to I want to sell?

1) I'm really a tenor player

2) It would make my wife feel better because I bought a Kanilea tenor this past summer

3) I just don't have time to focus on both tneor and bass

I would sell it for $600 which is what I paid. No scratches, no nothing wrong hardly played. It took Owen 6-8 months to have it ready for me. I picked it up at his house.

Here's the thing: I live in Berkeley and am not real hip to doing things by mail where I could get cheated and you should want to see it first. Any potential buyers in my local area? or someone willing to drive? Send me an email and I'll send pictures: kjbjarne@yahoo.com no haggling, please. firm price. I don't need to sell. It would just be nice for me and you. p.s. look it up at the road toad site and you'll get all the specs. semi-hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Bluke View Post
    I just played one of those at the vendor area at the Tahoe Uke Fest. It really was fun, and sounded great through a little cube bass amp. Those strings are funny, but it all worked.

I played that, too, and I agree. I liked it.
    I liked Road Toad's "Scarab" bass really well, too. (And those people are super cool.)
    The string tension and scale length really, REALLY freaked me out, but I couldn't put the thing down! I couldn't hear it without the amp, but I'm hard of hearing, the room was loud, and I wasn't wearing hearing aids at the time. I don't know; does it make sound unamplified?
    Nice axe!
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.--Groucho Marx

South east louisiana.. below new orleans.. yes there is stuff below new orleans besides water

wow i want one ! how do you even play a uke bass ? lol like a normal bass ?

Quote Originally Posted by mrUKETOBER View Post
    wow i want one ! how do you even play a uke bass ? lol like a normal bass ?
    Yes, like a normal bass.
    That's what was so weird to me. I'm used to my (regular electric) bass, so the very loose string tension and short, short, SHORT scale length of the uke bass was really weird, but I would think one would get used to it very soon.
    Those "rubber" strings were freaky, too, and all part of its charm.

It was funny watching people pick those up and start trying to strum them like a regular ukulele!
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.--Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Bluke View Post
    Agreed. "Normal" bass guitars go for $600 all the time, and no one bats and eye. I guess we're all just used to so many ukes being sub $300.

JJ
    "Talent is just a pursued interest. In other words, anything you are willing to practice, you can do." -- Bob Ross

duuuude tht is soo sic i will let u kno if i ever have tht much money...i wuld buy it so quick

South east louisiana.. below new orleans.. yes there is stuff below new orleans besides water

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle-Taco View Post
    Yes, like a normal bass.
    That's what was so weird to me. I'm used to my (regular electric) bass, so the very loose string tension and short, short, SHORT scale length of the uke bass was really weird, but I would think one would get used to it very soon.
    Those "rubber" strings were freaky, too, and all part of its charm.

It was funny watching people pick those up and start trying to strum them like a regular ukulele!
    hahah i bet ! i really want one now ! i have been playing bass alot but i dont own one myself.. but i play it in 2 bands lol .. so im thinking i might get this for me to jam on at home

Thread Information