Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Kala U Bass

i want one so bad it hurts.:

That is way cool. I started building one before I got let go on my job and that side tracked me. What kind of strings are on it? Ashbory?
    It sounds great guess I have to get mine finished.
    Music is found in the spaces between the notes- in the silence between the chords. Get your spaces right, and you've got it. Albert Greenfield

i mailed kala yesterday. i am left handed and i wanted to know if they are planning a run of leftie models...and the answer... YES, it will take about 8 months but they are planning it! i'm gonna pre order, i have to have it.

Aachen, Germany (As exciting as an empty parking-lot!)

Red face

I'd definitely like one, but the price just hurts...

Excellent sound sample, btw!
    "Nine of ten voices in my head are telling me I'm insane. One is humming a Bruddha Iz tune."
    "You better learn to love the rain, because it could be raining for a while." (Buzz Aldrin's shrink)

Mugambismonkey: Ukulele Originals
    Mugambisuke: Ukulele Covers

how is it supposed to be tuned...i would assume DGBE or is it EADG like a bass
    From smallest to largest. Kala Pocket Mahogany- Ohana SK-21- Kala Travel Uke- Hilo soprano (my first!)- Kamaka 1960's Soprano- Ovation Soprano- Bruko Concert- Mainland Mahogany Concert- Lanikai Banjolele Concert- Lanikai 08E- Mainland Mahogany Tenor- Savannah crappy (but loved) baritone

http://www.youtube.com/user/BornAgainJeeper

They're tuned just like a bass.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.--Groucho Marx

I bought the fretless, Spruce top, and I love it! I posted this in another area:

I just got mine last week and I gigged with it last night. I brought my acoustic Michael Kelly along just in case all hell broke loose. Well, it didn't. All of the members of the band loved the sound. I agree that if you work with the EQs you can get quite a full and robust sound. My husband, a pro pianist, was sitting in the audience and he loved the sound as well. This particular gig has a small band area so it is nice to use a small instrument instead of the long necks I usually negotiate in this space. I will need to practice the shorter spaces between frets to get the tuning more perfect but I did not feel I was off the mark much. It is new so I had to tune more than usual but...I think today, after its workout, it will be more stable. We play bluegrass, folk, and blues. Worked well in all those genres. It had the smokiness I needed for Summertime and the crispness for moving patterns in Blue Yodel. I am happy and very pleased to have this in my collection.

It's still less than a lot of good basses! I am curious if anyone has used these things at pretty high volume? I am wondering about feedback. I play in a semi-loud band, but would love to use one.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1. Those who need closure.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...
    My paltry Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/ukecycle

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tarman View Post
    It's still less than a lot of good basses! I am curious if anyone has used these things at pretty high volume? I am wondering about feedback. I play in a semi-loud band, but would love to use one.
    Yes, same question here... I have an el/ac bass guitar and it's not easy to play it with drums ext because of feedback issues.

I don't know if this is allowed here, but they have then for $400 here http://www.ukeladymusic.com/store/catalog.php?item=144
    I'm pretty interested in one of these. They play the same as a regular bass guitar, right?

This is by far my favorite version of stand by me ever recorded that has been brought to my attention... EVER. Just so happens to be a Uke and Bass Uke version. Good stuff. Anybody notice most things sound better on a Uke of some sort? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HchbmLIV3w

Thread Information