Ukulele Art

danged

Reaction score
I wanted to share some ukulele art that I got for my last birthday: The Artwork is painted by LeoHone and it is Giclee on canvas and measures 40"x30" and looks great in my living room. There is a story behind this painting which is Music... the universal language with its mysterious and amazing ability to move the senses and touch the very core of one's being... the most powerful vehicle ever to carry and preserve a culture through time. In Hawaii, we have Kanikapila - that wonderful tradition of coming together to sing and play the old Mele of Hawaii.

"I touch my fingers to the ukulele that once was yours, Uncle, and feel the weight of your legacy...and then faintly, above the winds and the crashing sea, I hear again the sound of your singing and I am humbled by the greatness of your gift. When I play and sing your Mele, I know you play and sing with me. Mahalo for your gift."

A young man (model: Walt Mahealani Keale) sits by a fire on the beach by Halona Blow Hole beneath a full moon. As he strums his ukulele and sings, his music reflects the influence of him mentor, kumu and kupauna, (most notably for Walt, two giants in Hawaiian music composition and performance: his uncle Moe Keale [1939-2002] directly behind him and, standing by the fire, kiho'alu [slack key] great, Kawika Kahiapo. Kawika and Walt play and sing together in Kaukahi.) I am attempting to paint an "influence" in depicting the spirits of various Hawaiian songwriters and musicians, past and present. They Kanikapila together, their voices and instruments joining with his. They will live forever... because of their music.
picture.php

Awesome, I know Walt, he teaches 'ukulele at Kainalu School where I used to work. I grew up with his cousins Mike, and Bill Keale, what a talented family. Awesome artwork, mahalo fo' sharing. :shaka:

Much Mahalos for sharing . . . I've seen her work and they are simply superb. I seem to recall one of the dealers mentioning in every piece she created, there is a pueo (I think) somewhere on the canvas. Just thought I mentioned that.

Much Mahalos for sharing . . . I've seen her work and they are simply superb. I seem to recall one of the dealers mentioning in every piece she created, there is a pueo (I think) somewhere on the canvas. Just thought I mentioned that.

Yeah, she actually put nine of them, but no can find them all..... go'in to take long time. I'd rather go play my uke.

Top Bottom