Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I cant strum!

haha i didnt want to open a new thread but about the tuning of my uke, it doesnt sound right. and its going to take a week or two until my intelli imt 500 tuner comes so right now im relying on the online uke tuner. so far my ukulele doesnt seem to get the right tune. is it okay to keep tightening the string until i achieve it? or will it snap in my eye and make me go blind?

Quote Originally Posted by normantxt View Post
    haha i didnt want to open a new thread but about the tuning of my uke, it doesnt sound right. and its going to take a week or two until my intelli imt 500 tuner comes so right now im relying on the online uke tuner. so far my ukulele doesnt seem to get the right tune. is it okay to keep tightening the string until i achieve it? or will it snap in my eye and make me go blind?
    Wear protective googles.
    I started to play the ukulele the first of march 2009.
    Follow my progress from a beginner to a pro?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/learninguke
    Right now im working on: Nothing at the moment..
    Looking for a collab partner? Send me a PM.

OHH im so dumb. correct me if im wrong, but when you tune the ukulele to http://www.get-tuned.com/ukulele_tuner.php your suppose to hold the fret for that specific chord right?! i think my strings are supposed to be gcea (oh btw can someone tell me the difference between capitalized letters like gCEA and non capitalized letters? also is g' the same as g#?)

GCEA is strung with the G string a full octave higher. It is called re entrant tuning. gCEA is with a low g. This makes it standard tuning with the g string being the lowest.
    UKES 4 KIDS

Quote Originally Posted by normantxt View Post
    thanks for all your replies! i was just wondering because i was watching the uke minutes video, should i bend my pointer finger like a 90 degree? or should i keep it mildly straight, maybe a little curved, when i strum? again thanks!

also, i also find that when i do strum, i hit the G or the A, depending if i strum up or down, that its louder than the C, E, string sound. should i just strum lighter so that all the strings are hit evenly?
    Check out these brochures on strumming http://www.coolhanduke.com/play.html

Default Simple chords for strumming

Here are some simple chords you can play while practicing your strumming. It will sound like a song and impress your friends and family at the same time!

Simply play C Am F G7 C
    You can play at any speed using or trying any strum pattern and in addition it will help with changing chords (if you need the help)
    Maui no ka oi !!!!!
    Kamaka HF-3, Vintage 1935 Kamaka Pineapple, Kanile'a Deluxe 6 string Tenor, Kamaka 1996 HF-38, Makala Concert

Just wondering, does anybody here have like a fall back strumming patern? Or do you try to vary it for every song you play?

As a noobie my first thought always is, hm wonder if I can play that in DDUUD.

you have to play for more than a day for strumming to be "second nature" I played more than one day on my first uke to get fluent with strumming. Another few days to learn how to chunk correctly, and a few days to get the rhythm of it all. But once you've mastered that, you need to learn how to change chords smoothly and quickly.

Once that's done, it's priceless what you can do with it.

So... practice. play, love, and fun with it.
    here's a link:http://www.youtube.com/user/HawaiiMusicSupply

I watched those when I got started.

Quote Originally Posted by pink flamingo View Post
    Just wondering, does anybody here have like a fall back strumming patern? Or do you try to vary it for every song you play?

As a noobie my first thought always is, hm wonder if I can play that in DDUUD.
    I play D, Chunk, U(pause)U,D,U on new songs... but it evolves into something else later on.
    Last edited by specialmike; 06-27-2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: quote

If you have very little musical experience, strumming can feel pretty odd. One thing I have used with guitar classes was to separate the chording/strumming actions at first.

So, get your radio, iPod, CD palyer, etc. Get some nice steady music with a simple 4 beats (country, folk, or the like works well). Now, listen for two things. One the bass guitar/bass drum will be on beats 1 and 3. There might be a snare drum on 2 and 4 (the back beat). Cover the strings with your left hand. Practice a down stroke strum on 1 and 3 for a while, then try down on all 4, then maybe down on 2 and 4. Later try down on 1 and 3 and up on 2 and 4. Finally, try down on 1,2,3, and 4 and up in between.

This way you are using you left brain and concentrating on only one thing. Also, you can get into the music and feel how a simple beat can be a part of the whole. And you practice with others in the privacy of your own home.

Now, like the rest of us, add chords and repeat about 6 million times!
    Bob

Thumbs up Getting better

Just wanted to say that I spent last night working on index finger strumming (and a bottle of whiskey ) and WOW what a difference there is in sound (compared to using my thumb)! It's like my uke has gotten amp'ed!

One of the things that helped me was to actually slide my finger right across the top panel and fret board, ie, panel-fret-panel. At first I would hear a swish-chord-swish with each strum (the swishes from my finger sliding across the wood) but then I backed off just a bit while keeping the same motion and as I said WOW.

Thanks to all the advice that was offered here!

Thread Information