why do/ what does it mean, when people put "no homo" after something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samster

Reaction score
is it a uke thing?

is it literally as it sounds?

I've never seen that here. Can you give me an example?

:confused::confused::confused: Have no idea what you're talking about.

I did a search and found a number of posts with that tag. I had not noticed it before but the context would need an explanation. Mods?

i really dont know anything about it

i just came across someone saying they didnt like people saying it, so i search and foung it in some tags, and just wonderd about it

anyone?

This should help

I can't believe that I never noticed this before.

After doing a quick search on the forum, and also checking the link by UkuCouS, I feel that is incredibly inappropriate. It is also incredibly immature. I will never understand the need of some heterosexuals to constantly put down homosexuals by constantly "re-asserting" their disdain for gay people and/or their proclamations that they are straight. It is just like the junior high kids who shout, "That is so gay!"

And for those of you who say, have a sense of humor, or that you don't mean it to be offensive. Well, I hate to tell you, but it is. If someone was saying that about black people, Jewish people, Asian people, pretty much anyone but gay people, the moderators would never allow it to stand. I am offended. And I have to say, disappointed by some of the people that have been posting it. I expected better of them.

I don't know why...I just thought that the ukulele was an instrument that appealed to people who were a bit more open minded, or else you would have been guitar players.

Then again, maybe some of you just protest too much...

Last edited:

After doing a quick search on the forum, and also checking the link by UkuCouS, I feel that is incredibly inappropriate. It is also incredibly immature. I will never understand the need of some heterosexuals to constantly put down homosexuals by constantly "re-asserting" their disdain for gay people and/or their "evidence" that they are straight. It is just like the junior high kids who shout, "That is so gay!"

And for those of you who say, have a sense of humor, or that you don't mean it to be offensive. Well, I hate to tell you, but it is. If someone was saying that about black people, Jewish people, Asian people, pretty much anyone but gay people, the moderators would never allow it to stand. I am offended. And I have to say, disappointed by some of the people that have been posting it. I expected better of them.

I don't know why...I just thought that the ukulele was an instrument that appealed to people who were a bit more open minded, or else you would have been guitar players.

ditto .

This should help

you really cant trust encyclopedia dramatica.. they make up a lot of stuff. anywhoo.. the term no homo is used to prevent a sentence that sounded homosexual from being homosexual. Keep it clean, please

Last edited by a moderator:
you really cant trust encyclopedia dramatica.. they make up a lot of stuff. anywhoo.. the term no homo is used to prevent a sentence that sounded homosexual from being homosexual. Keep it clean, please

I still stand by my earlier post. It is offensive and immature.

Last edited by a moderator:

After doing a quick search on the forum, and also checking the link by UkuCouS, I feel that is incredibly inappropriate. It is also incredibly immature. I will never understand the need of some heterosexuals to constantly put down homosexuals by constantly "re-asserting" their disdain for gay people and/or their proclamations that they are straight. It is just like the junior high kids who shout, "That is so gay!"

Then again, maybe some of you just protest too much...

Will said,

I think no one who used this phrase on this board meant it in a disrespectful manner. though maybe childish.

Please think to yourself if it is necessary to state that if you say something like: "i like that guy" or whatever. I don't think it is.

I agree with the 'wahine, firstly that language has no place here at UU. If the people think they are being funny, the mods really need to straighten them out. Even if they meant no harm by the wording, the context sends a message of hate that does not belong with the message of joy and acceptance that music and especially the ukulele are supposed to send. What would Brudda IZ say...come on people, spread the love!
:music::anyone:

No Homo

A reference to non-humans... no Homo sapiens. Nor, primitive hominids... No Home Erectus Neaderthalensis, No Homo Erectus Pekinensis (Peking Man), No Homo Erectus Javanensis,
No early forms either... Homo habilis... No Homo.

This phrase has made its way into the language of the internet-savvy. I myself do not use the phrase, but it's not because I'm offended by it. I'm actually not offended by it, and I consider myself to be fairly sensitive to those kinds of things.

The question is, where do we draw the line? If we don't allow the use of the term "gay" when it's used to dis someone or something, then shouldn't we also disallow the use of the term, "homo?"

After all, isn't "homo" just another derogatory epithet? It's a slippery slope.

There are enough people offended by this phrase. Unless someone can give me a good enough reason not to, we should discontinue its use.

By the way, I don't recommend ever visiting encyclopediadramatica.com. Ever. That site is one of the ugliest sites on the internet. No good can come from a visit there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom