Recommend me a tenor please

Mnemos

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

let me start with saying how much I appreciate this forum and the rest of the UU site, for being an endless source of information and inspiration. You guys rock! Also, as this is my first post in this forum, please pardon me if it rather should have been posted somewhere else.

Now to the subject at hand: I really need some advice for my next uke purchase. Sadly I dont have the opportunity to test my ukes before I buy, as I live in a small, cold and dark country nowhere near ukulele civilization. I've been roaming the web for a while looking at reviews, but so far I haven't found the one that makes me go 'yes - that's IT!'

I am looking to buy a new tenor uke with a microphone installed (active or passive) and preferrably (but not nessecarily) a cutaway. My price range is up to $ 400-500. Does any of you have any experience with the different brands and models in this price range, when it comes to quality of sound, playability and build?

I will be ever grateful if you can help me decide :)

Last edited:
In that price range, I feel like you get the most bang for buck with the Pono (Ko'olau) line of ukes. I currently own 2 of them with passives installed. Their (Pono) passive pick-up system is simple and works great.

Check out Musicguymic on ebay for some great deals.

I strongly suggest you go to a local shop and find one that sounds good to YOU. Then hit ebay and get it for cheaper...

Last edited:
Another vote for Pono in that price range - I've had a couple and they're quality, solid ukes. Also check out Honu from musicguymic - I haven't played one but I've never heard a bad thing about them!

What country are you in? That might make a difference - shipping cost can be brutal. I'm in Canada and I appreciate the vast emptiness of the ukiverse from up here. But there may be local distributors or local members willing to sell to you.​

All three of these are very good ukuleles, the price range you are in, allows many quality options. If you live in an area with brick & mortar store, you should give them a shot instead of buying it blind on the internet. Many of these stores, have the uke's available for you to try, and are very price competitive. All the major brands of ukulele's have strict minimum advertised price for all dealers, including internet, to give everyone a fair opportunity to earn your business. Customer service, availability, reputation of store, should all be factors in making your buying decision.

Thanks a lot for the great advice guys!

At the moment I am leaning towards the Pono PTOCE. Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to try before I buy, as there are almost no stores here in Norway offering anything remotely close to a decent ukulele selection. However I did manage to find some videos offering some sound samples.

I have another question however. I live in Norway, and am somewhat concerned about our long, cold and dry winters being unhealthy for my new uke. Now, I would of course use a humidifier and keep my instrument in it's case whenever not in use. Still: Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be wise to invest a few extra bucks (or rather, a hundred) just to get an instrument with an adjustable neck bolt (or rod or whatever it's called) in case our climate makes the intrument's neck curl - how probable is it, even, that such a thing may happen? I'm thinking more specifically about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PONO-PTMSC-E-SP...id=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|293:1|294:30

Thanks!

Give Mike a call for more info and he'll probably answer any questions you might possibly have. Ask him to play the instrument for you. A good number of the members have purchased instruments from him, you won't go wrong as a these folks will attest to his outstanding customer service.

I just got the new Pono solid Ohai with pickup. It's absolutely beautiful and sounds amazing! nice and sturdy too. Truss rod (only maker with this) to adjust warpage od the neck. 5 year warranty. $330 from musicguymic on ebay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjtz6nZKD8A

Thanks so much for your help and good advice guys! I ended up with the Pono mahogany/spruce model. I'm really excited and can't wait for it to arrive. I'll try to leave a review when I've had the chance to try it out.

Meanwhile I'm sitting on my front porch in the sun sipping ice tea and playing AG's version of 'Out of My League' to my wife to be (on my Morgan soprano
home.php
), just feeling the love :D

Thanks again, and happy 4th of July to all of you living in the US!

Last edited:
Greetings Ron, if I'm not mistaken I actually watched your excellent YT review of the Pono PTS. I found it very informative and and it was a great help in making a decision. Thanks so much for sharing!

What country are you in? That might make a difference - shipping cost can be brutal. I'm in Canada and I appreciate the vast emptiness of the ukiverse from up here. But there may be local distributors or local members willing to sell to you.​

I know how you feel brotha:shaka: music stores here in sydney dont know nothing bout ukuleles. Well not alot of them. I can certainly feel the emptiness of ukuleles here. It makes me sad most of the time. All i can do is search up ebay :(

Top Bottom