Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a tenor please

Default Recommend me a tenor please

Hi everyone,

let me start with saying how much I appreciate this forum and the rest of the UU site, for being an endless source of information and inspiration. You guys rock! Also, as this is my first post in this forum, please pardon me if it rather should have been posted somewhere else.

Now to the subject at hand: I really need some advice for my next uke purchase. Sadly I dont have the opportunity to test my ukes before I buy, as I live in a small, cold and dark country nowhere near ukulele civilization. I've been roaming the web for a while looking at reviews, but so far I haven't found the one that makes me go 'yes - that's IT!'

I am looking to buy a new tenor uke with a microphone installed (active or passive) and preferrably (but not nessecarily) a cutaway. My price range is up to $ 400-500. Does any of you have any experience with the different brands and models in this price range, when it comes to quality of sound, playability and build?

I will be ever grateful if you can help me decide
    Last edited by Mnemos; 07-01-2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: misspelling

Illegitimus Non Carborundum

I ʻike lākou, ʻo ʻoe, ka mea wale nō nona ka inoa ʻo IĒHOVA;
    ʻO ʻoe nō ka Mea kiʻekiʻe loa ma luna o ka honua a pau.
    Nā Halelū 83:18

In that price range, I feel like you get the most bang for buck with the Pono (Ko'olau) line of ukes. I currently own 2 of them with passives installed. Their (Pono) passive pick-up system is simple and works great.

Check out Musicguymic on ebay for some great deals.

I strongly suggest you go to a local shop and find one that sounds good to YOU. Then hit ebay and get it for cheaper...
    Last edited by UKESTAR; 07-01-2009 at 09:12 AM.
    Where are the other two strings?

Another vote for Pono in that price range - I've had a couple and they're quality, solid ukes. Also check out Honu from musicguymic - I haven't played one but I've never heard a bad thing about them!
    1:99
    The PoHo Store

We've got a ukulele cool that can't be faked. -hoosierhiver
    ...if being a good person was easy no one would be a dick. -skitzic
    I have no issues with bluntness, but being an asshat is not being blunt, it's just being an asshat. -austin1

What country are you in? That might make a difference - shipping cost can be brutal. I'm in Canada and I appreciate the vast emptiness of the ukiverse from up here. But there may be local distributors or local members willing to sell to you.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

All three of these are very good ukuleles, the price range you are in, allows many quality options. If you live in an area with brick & mortar store, you should give them a shot instead of buying it blind on the internet. Many of these stores, have the uke's available for you to try, and are very price competitive. All the major brands of ukulele's have strict minimum advertised price for all dealers, including internet, to give everyone a fair opportunity to earn your business. Customer service, availability, reputation of store, should all be factors in making your buying decision.

Kanile'a Custom Super Tenor Cobra Slot Head, L.R. Bags active pick up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hf8C...4&feature=plcp
    Kanile'a KSTP Premium Koa Tenor Slot Head
    Kamaka Custom Jake Shimabukuro Signature Model Tenor serial #25http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5eOP...8&feature=plcp
    Kamaka HF-38 8-String with Fishman acoustic infinity p/u
    Kamaka HF-36 6-String White Label
    Kamaka 1960 Gold Label Koa Pineapple

Consider a Mainland, too. A little lower than your target, but a good value for the price.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

Thanks a lot for the great advice guys!

At the moment I am leaning towards the Pono PTOCE. Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to try before I buy, as there are almost no stores here in Norway offering anything remotely close to a decent ukulele selection. However I did manage to find some videos offering some sound samples.

I have another question however. I live in Norway, and am somewhat concerned about our long, cold and dry winters being unhealthy for my new uke. Now, I would of course use a humidifier and keep my instrument in it's case whenever not in use. Still: Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be wise to invest a few extra bucks (or rather, a hundred) just to get an instrument with an adjustable neck bolt (or rod or whatever it's called) in case our climate makes the intrument's neck curl - how probable is it, even, that such a thing may happen? I'm thinking more specifically about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PONO-PTMSC-E-SPR...3%3A1|294%3A30

Thanks!

Give Mike a call for more info and he'll probably answer any questions you might possibly have. Ask him to play the instrument for you. A good number of the members have purchased instruments from him, you won't go wrong as a these folks will attest to his outstanding customer service.

Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
    pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes; listen with the ears; shut the mouth.
    Thus one learns.

I just got the new Pono solid Ohai with pickup. It's absolutely beautiful and sounds amazing! nice and sturdy too. Truss rod (only maker with this) to adjust warpage od the neck. 5 year warranty. $330 from musicguymic on ebay.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjtz6nZKD8A

Thread Information