friction tuners

NukeDOC

Retired Mod
Reaction score
eventually, i plan on changing out the tuners in my brother's sunlite tenor with some grover geared tuners. but right now, he is having some trouble with the friction tuners that it has. they are ever so slightly slipping. to some this may not be too much of an issue, but if i know my brother, this bothers the heck outa him. he has to have it perfectly in tune. and its not just that the strings are settling. he can feel it giving way when he lets go of the key when tuning.

so does anyone here know how to increase the tension on friction tuners? basically he doesnt care if he has to use a vice grip to turn the keys to tune his uke... as long as it stays where he put it and doesnt slip backward.

First thing is to loc-tite the threads on the metal screws on the pegs.. use blue loctite.. NOT the red loctite, or you'll never get it off. Then tighten them down.. hmm, not too tight, but not too loose, just tight enough not to strip them out. That should increase the effort required to turn the pegs, either by hand or by string tension itself.

Attachments

• uke1-4..jpg
    uke1-4..jpg
    46 KB · Views: 5
  • uke1-6..jpg
    uke1-6..jpg
    70 KB · Views: 4
  • uke1-3..jpg
    uke1-3..jpg
    52 KB · Views: 4
  • uke1-8..jpg
    uke1-8..jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
First thing is to loc-tite the threads on the metal screws on the pegs.. use blue loctite.. NOT the red loctite, or you'll never get it off. Then tighten them down.. hmm, not too tight, but not too loose, just tight enough not to strip them out. That should increase the effort required to turn the pegs, either by hand or by string tension itself.

I agree. That should do the trick. I remember when I first started off that the tuning pegs seemed to slip. Just be careful about tightening it too much or else it could damage the headstock of the uke. :eek:

Attachments

• PA270171.jpg
    PA270171.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 7
  • PA270175.jpg
    PA270175.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 5
  • PA270172.jpg
    PA270172.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom