Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flea Ukulele Review

Default Flea Ukulele Review

So much talk about Flea lately (and for good reason) that I did a video review to help with some of the questions. Well.. at least to give my opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn0cHL3ZNkY

I highly recommend Flea for your outdoor, or take everywhere uke. But beware: you may not play your other ukes anymore. They have an incredible sound and are so easy to just pick up and play!

Aloha John, Awesome job on your review. My wife just adopted my honu Fluke so I'm gonna have to start saving for my dream Flea a plain vanilla with plastic fret board except of course for the pineapple graphics. Looking forward to the video.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

I ʻike lākou, ʻo ʻoe, ka mea wale nō nona ka inoa ʻo IĒHOVA;
    ʻO ʻoe nō ka Mea kiʻekiʻe loa ma luna o ka honua a pau.
    Nā Halelū 83:18

Kick-ass review brother.

Thanks fellazzzz.

Ahnko.. you can't let her have that uke! It might as well be a sig uke for you, with the Honu stickers and such. But.. a flea would be better. Pineapple shaped The vanilla color idea sounds way cool, too.

A very nice review there Link. And you are right when you say they are adictive and might just pick up your Flea all the time instead of your other ones.

Can I just add to all players who may have a Flea, or may be thinking of getting one, an ordinary plastic everything Flea is pretty darn good right off the shelf.
    To have some upgrades put on though (although not needed) makes it even better.

Also, I was an Aquila everything person, and they do sound great on a Flea, but when UAS struck me (all the time I may add) instead of getting another Uke, I went for SAS (string) and ordered many different strings to try.
    I put Worths on my Concert Flea and they sound much better, although this would be subjective of course.
    But honestly, do try different strings especially on the Flea because they do make a difference.

When I upgrade, I'n definitely keeping Flea in mind. I keep flip-flopping between Flea, Fluke, and Kala. I'd want a concert, a rosewood fretboard and pickup. It just seems you can get all that plus a hard case and preamp for less money with a Kala.

Great video.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Lovehandles View Post
    When I upgrade, I'n definitely keeping Flea in mind. I keep flip-flopping between Flea, Fluke, and Kala. I'd want a concert, a rosewood fretboard and pickup. It just seems you can get all that plus a hard case and preamp for less money with a Kala.

Great video.
    Thanks.
    That's true.
    But I chose to go with the Flea in those options with a Koa top and I don't regret it one bit purely because it came to me as if it was built for me rather like a custom job, and it is superbly built with a low action.

I purchased my Flea right off the shelf (plastic fretboard-no upgrades) and it has been the best $169.00 I have ever spent! Great low action, neck is comfortable-so very easy to play. I would say to any uke player-you have to have one of these in your collection!
    “Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.”
    ― Martin Luther

You make a good point, Tim. I guess for the price of a tricked out Flea, one could get a Kala AND a basic flea. There's food for thought.

The upgraded Flea is not worth it in my opinion. It takes away from the charm and throw-around-ability of the Flea when you get a solid top, rosewood fretboard and bridge. I would honestly pay MORE for the plastic fretboard and bridge.

By the way, Witters, I put some Worth Browns on my Flea today and you were correct. Worths seem to take the Flea's tone to even greater heights. to anyone out there... always be sure to try many different types of strings.. different strings have a much more profound impact on tone than on guitar or bass.

Thread Information