Flea Ukulele Review

Do they still have the raised edge on the body-top juncture? I had one several years ago and hated that. I always use forearm pressure to hold the uke in position, and every time I played I wound up with a nice red welt on my arm. Retired, then gifted it. Other than that, it was a great uke.

There's a slight bit of a "lip" there on mine, yes. Not really much, IMHO, and it never bothers me. But I can see how it might leave a mark on a fella.

JJ

I hardly every play my Flea anymore. When I play serious stuff, I prefer my wood ukes. And when I'm in a lighter mood, the plastics are so fun to play!:)

I have to admit that I would be more than happy with a Pine top and plastic frets anyway especially if I was on a budget.
With the Pine you can have designs done on them or even paint them yourself, which if you have the Koa, you obviously wouldn't.
If you're going to do that you can have FMM send you an unfinished top, do the painting/design yourself, then send the top back and they'll fit it into a uke. I think the price is the same as for a regular one but you'd have to check.

I just got a concert flea and I got the fretboard upgrade. This includes Aquila strings and a better bridge. The rosewood fret board is easier to see the frets on. If you want to put a low G string on it you can. That's the difference between the fretboards. This one looks better than the plastic board. I don't regret getting it. You never know what you will want to do in the future and this raises the resale value if nothing else.

Joe T

OK, another opinion on the Flea. I have many expensive uke's but the Flea is the one I always carry with me and play the most, way the most. For some reason it seems easier to play than the others.

This is my second Flea because I felt the Rosewood fretboard was a must.

Top Bottom