What strings to put on a KoAloha to make it sing?

petah

Reaction score
Since Paul graciously accepted my KoAloha into the spa I was wondering what strings I should put on it when it comes home... I have a set of those fluorocarbon Worths... I also have a set of Aquilas... I want the uke to punch out the Ideal sound that it was designed for. I know people say strings are subjective But I want to push it's design to the limit and use the strings that achieve that! :shaka:

Since Paul graciously accepted my KoAloha into the spa I was wondering what strings I should put on it when it comes home... I have a set of those fluorocarbon Worths... I also have a set of Aquilas... I want the uke to punch out the Ideal sound that it was designed for. I know people say strings are subjective But I want to push it's design to the limit and use the strings that achieve that! :shaka:

I would imagine that it would be best to keep on it what it comes with - less expensive ukes may come with cheap strings, but I would imagine that the folks at KoAloha have figured out what they feel to be the very best match of strings and ukes...ask them what they use!

All of the Koaloha sponsored artists that I can think of use Worth clears. If you had browns before - get clears. It's like night and day.

I have d'addario pro artes on it right now. For some reason the upper frets aren't ringing out as loud as I like at the moment...

But worth fluorocarbon clear are the shiz-nit. Use them and you won't regret them.

Worths all the way!

I just replaced the original strings on my KoAloha with Worth Clears and it really sings. I also have them on my Bushman Jenny and Pono PT.
Regards,
Ray

I would imagine that it would be best to keep on it what it comes with - less expensive ukes may come with cheap strings, but I would imagine that the folks at KoAloha have figured out what they feel to be the very best match of strings and ukes...ask them what they use!

Actually, KoAloha doesn't use expensive strings off the shelf, or at least not for their regular models as far as I know. They sound good already, so it's a cost savings measure, and most people swap out strings eventually anyway.

I've got worth browns on my KoAloha, and they're great. I had Worth clears on it before, which were good too.

I use worth browns on my Sceptre! They are awesome! As I recall, I think Koaloha endorses Worths, and I thought all their ukuleles were shipped with them on? When I got my Sceptre from MGM, he said that they were "like" Worths that were on them. Don't know if that means that they are not, but the Worth's website also has that info. if this is their site, not sure...

http://www.worthc.to/W-Strings-e.html

They sound pretty sweet though, and I think the slots on the bridges cut for their gauge. Anyone want to correct me if i'm misinformed or second me on that? :anyone:

I've tried D'Addario's on them as well, but I really like how the Worth brown mediums sound on my concert. Aquilas are a little thicker in gauge when I tried to put them on and just sound way too twangy. hope this helps, good luck!

Last edited:
clear Worths it is. shooting u an e-bay mgm.

I asked KoAloha what they used shortly after I got my uke. They are using their own flourocarbon strings but said that the Worth Clears are a good match. I believe they plan to market their strings sometime in the future.

i use d'addario pro arte high tensions on my d-vi. they last and project a mellow tone. d'addario makes a composite low G that blends nicely with theis set.

Hey guys, I had Aquilas on my KTM-00 but thought it was a little too "bright"--and not bright in the way a smaller uke usually is. I'm using Kala reds with a high G; I think they mellow out the tone a lot. I like how it sounds, but I have a set of Worths that I'll try next. I play so sporadically that my strings never wear out, though!

I've got the D'Addario J71's on my KoAloha and they sound good enough to me. I do, however, want to try out the D'Addario T2's, Worth Clears, and Savarez.

Top Bottom