Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about Martin soprano SO ukes

Thanks for this, I was also interested in the S-O.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty dan View Post
    Alan, can you tell me what it cost to put the poison markers on your Martin. Im a lefty and would like to have it done.
    Thanks
    Dan

Sry, forgot to post about this. A friend who's a luthier charged me $20. Don't think that's typical, but I don't know.
    -Alan (UKISOCIETY)

My muse.

I'm new to the forum, and pretty new to the Ukulele. I'm mainly a guitar player.

I have owned a cheapo Johnston soprano uke for a while and fiddled with it casually but never took it too seriously. On a whim I tried out an S-O uke at Matt Umanov guitars in NYC and instantly understood that all ukes are not created equal. Fast forward a few weeks, some intense research (trying out as many ukes in the 100-600 dollar price range) and I've got a second hand Martin S-O. It's probably from around 2000-2002 I'm guessing by the 4,083 serial number.

here it is:

The one I got (from gryphon stringed instruments, CA) over the internet is even nicer than the brand new model I tried in the store (and half the price). The new one had a very raw look to the wood. Like there wasn't any finish on it at all. Mine has a soft satin sheen to it. It has nice action and plays in tune up the neck. I'm going to put on some fresh strings down the line since I don't know what these are that it shipped with, but I like the sound of them. It's a loud and warm little instrument. I hope I don't have to deal with any cracks like in the first review of the thread!

Anyway, I couldn't afford to buy one new for 350-450 dollars, but I was happy to pay 225 for this used model and it is hard to put down. Much more fun than playing the cheapo Johnston model which was frustrating to tune and sounded more like a toy.

The one thing I wish this Uke had is fret markers at 5,7, and 10. I have a hard time jumping up for the occasional bar chord with no dots! I might try to install some 1/8" clay dots if I still feel the need for them after a while.
    Last edited by JBennett; 09-22-2009 at 12:11 PM.

I have a Martin S-O. It is the thinnest bodied uke I have. Thus it has a very bright (compared to my others) Banjo'y sound. I really like strumming it.

The only downside I see is the lack of markers on the fretboard. Other than that it really has a unique sound due to the thin body.
    Cheers,
    Skottoman
    Ohana Sopranino:Paulele Bamboo Soprano:Island Ukulele Soprano:Martin S-O Soprano:Lava Flea Soprano:KoAloha Soprano:Surf Flea Concert:KoAloha Concert:G-String C1 Sun Concert:KoAloha Pineapple Sunday:Kanilea T1 Premium Tenor:Eastman Mandolin:Strumstick

I don't know if anyone checks the "luthier" threads so this is a repeat.
    I added some fret markers to my s-o Uke.

Default Martin so uke

I had an so Martin. I bought it for 200.00 used. I thought I wanted a tenor so I sold it to buy a tenor. I now have been playing for a while and wish I never got rid of the so Martin. I learned that I like sopranos best. So If anyone out there has a so Martin and doesnt like it. Let me know and maybe we can work
    something out.
    The one I sold was well put together and sounded great. So sorry I sold it.

Just my two cents.
    Dan
    Last edited by lefty dan; 10-14-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    zenking12@yahoo.com
    Kala Maple & Spruce tenor
    1927 Gibson soprano
    Martin 000-RSGT
    Martin OOOX1AE
    fender American strat
    Gibson Les Paul

Quote Originally Posted by JBennett View Post
    I don't know if anyone checks the "luthier" threads so this is a repeat.
    I added some fret markers to my s-o Uke.

Thanks for sharing this. Since my original post, I picked up a used S-O and have been generally happy overall. I have been trying to figure out what to do about fret markers. I thought about a circle template and a silver paint marker but not sure. Also want to put some Worth strings on it (I have tried Hilo, Aquila and Martin carbons)-suggestions?

Well, if you do try to drill some holes and fill them with magic-sculpt, make sure you get a scrap piece of rosewood and practice a bunch before you go into the neck. That was my one mistake. BUT, my screwup aside on one of those dots, it was a quick, easy job. Probably took me 20 minutes to drill and fill. (I know, I know, should have taken 25 minutes and not screwed up!)

I did the whole job without even loosening the strings.

Maybe if you do drill, get a bit with a "Brad Point". That might be better for keeping your bit exactly where you want it to stay.

Thanks! BTW, looks like you did a fine job!

I have a Martin S O . It is the second uke I've owned and I like it alot. I bought mine used on Ebay. It looks great, it is flawless. It sounds great.
    The frets are big , its a little plain looking but it is a really good ukulele.
    I also own a vintage Martin style 1, Kiwaya kts-4, Harmony Roy Smeck ,
    Stromberg-Voisinet banjo uke, a hawaiian souvenir uke ( its all koa and one of my favorites) and a Grizzly I built with inlays and bone nut and saddle.
    Get a drill bit, start your hole with a small awl . You can get fret markers on Ebay, they are made of white or black plastic ,about 4 bucks. Mask your neck with tape to protect it, leave small spaces where you want your markers, start the hole with the awl, drill a whole about 1/4 inch , put a little titebond on the marker and stick it in and clip off the excess. After it is dry trim carefully with an exacto knife. Thats the way I did it and it worked great. P.S. I put markers on the neck not the fingerboard.
    Last edited by Pukulele Pete; 11-16-2009 at 05:26 AM.

Thread Information