Captain Google Collaboration Project (Video on Page 10)

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
I'm posting a new thread for those of you who don't know about this project.

As most of you know, we lost a member recently. Vincent Daniel Rooney, or Captain Google as he was known on the boards, passed away on July 6th.

As a gesture of solidarity and tribute, some of us have decided to put together a video collaboration. The song choice is Iz' "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World."

All are welcome to join in this endeavor. You do not have to sing, you do not have to play. If the extent of your contribution to the project is just a few words in honor of Captain Google, that's enough.

If you do want to sing and/or play, please download this mp3:
http://www.box.net/shared/pmbupzcp63

Listen to the mp3 wearing headphones or earbuds and film yourself playing along to the mp3. When you're through, upload your video in the highest quality possible to an online file hosting site like mediafire.com or box.net. PM me the link, or simply post it in this thread. The same instructions pertain to those not singing or playing (minus the mp3 portion, of course).

Please be certain that you are using the same chords that are used in the mp3 I have provided.

Here's a link to download a PDF of the tablature that you can print out:
http://www.mediafire.com/?djmzjntazwm

And here are the chords in text format:
Code:
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Somewhere Over The Rainbow / What a Wonderful World

Intro:
| C | Em | Am | F |
| C | G | Am | Am7 |
| F | F |

Ooh…
| C | C | Em | Em |
| F | F | C | C |
| F | F | E7 | E7 |
| Am | Am | F | F |

| C | C | Em | Em |
Somewhere over the rainbow
| F | F | C | C |
Way up high
| F | F | C | C | 
And the dreams that you dream of
| G | G | Am | Am |
Once in a lullaby
| F | F |
I… Oh

| C | C | Em | Em |
| F | F | C | C |
Bluebirds fly
| F | F | C | C |
And the dreams that you dream of
| G | G | Am | Am |
Dreams really do come true
| F | F |
Ooh…

| C | C | G | G |
Some day I'll wish upon a star, and wake up where the clouds are far
| Am | Am | F | F |
Behind me
| C | C | G | G |
Where trouble melts like lemon drops, high above the chimney top
| Am | Am | F | F |
That's where you'll find me

| C | C | Em | Em |
| F | F | C | C |
Bluebirds fly
| F | F | C | C |
And the dreams that you dare to
| G | G | Am | Am
O Why, oh why can't I?
| F | F |
I…

| C | Em | F | C |
Well I see trees of green, and red roses too
| F | C | E7 | Am |
I'll watch them bloom for me and you
| F | F | G | G |
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
| Am | Am | F | F |

| C | Em | F | C |
Well I see skies of blue, and I see clouds of white
| F | C | E7 | Am |
And the brightness of day, I like the dark
| F | F | G | G |
| C | F | C | C |

| G | G | C | C |
The colors of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky
| G | G | C | C |
Are also on the faces of people passing by
| F | C | F | C |
I see friends shaking hands, saying, "How do you do?"
| F | C | Dm | Dm |
They're really saying, "I, I love you."
| G | G |

| C | Em | F | C |
I hear babies cry, and I watch them grow
| F | C | E7 | Am |
They'll learn much more than we'll know
| F | F | G | G |
| Am | Am | F | F |
World

| C | C | G | G |
Some day I'll wish upon a star, and wake up where the clouds are far
| Am | Am | F | F |
Behind me
| C | C | G | G |
Where trouble melts like lemon drops, high above the chimney top
| Am | Am | F | F |
That's where you'll find me

| C | C | Em | Em |
| F | F | C | C |
Way up high
| F | F | C | C | 
And the dreams that you dare to
| G | G | Am | Am
Why, oh why can't I?
| F | F |
I…

Ooh…
| C | C | Em | Em |
| F | F | C | C |
| F | F | E7 | E7 |
| Am | Am | F | F |

| C |

(Fade out…)

Thanks. I have set next Friday, July 17th as the date I'd like to have everyone's contribution in. If you need more time, please PM me.

Last edited:
Count me in. I'll try to have something up for you tomorrow.

What! What happened? Oh no! That is such bad news! We had the love of anime in common besides the 'ukulele, always enjoyed his posts. Does he leave any family behind? I am so bummed! :(

What! What happened? Oh no! That is such bad news! We had the love of anime in common besides the 'ukulele, always enjoyed his posts. Does he leave any family behind? I am so bummed! :(

I'm not sure, but I believe he had a battle with Muscular Dystrophy.

You can read the thread in General Discussion or this thread that a friend of his shared with us for more information.

Here is his obituary from legacy.com:

Vincent Daniel Rooney
INWOOD, W.Va. – Vincent Daniel Rooney, age 19, went to be with the Lord on Monday, July 6, 2009, at the home of his grandparents.

He belonged to the Muscular Dystrophy Association. He graduated from Musselman High School in Inwood.

Survivors include his mother, Veronica Lynn Rooney of Inwood; father, Stephen Allen Rooney and wife Judy of Bristol Virginia; maternal grandmother, Dorothy Kohnken of Inwood; paternal grandparents, Michael S. and Sandra Lea Rooney of Bristol Virginia; sisters, Breanne and Madison Childress; brothers, Stevie and Sammie Rooney; special uncle, David Rooney of Bristol Virginia; aunt, Jennifer Rooney; cousins, including Chauncey and Grace Rooney of Bristol; and many others.

A memorial service will be conducted at 1 p.m. Friday, July 10, 2009, in Akard Funeral Home Chapel, with Pastor Susan Fiedler officiating.

Memorials may be sent to the Bristol Life Saving Crew, P.O. Box 302, Bristol, VA 24201; Bristol Virginia Fire Department, 211 Lee St., Bristol, VA 24201; or Bristol Virginia Police Department, 501 Scott St., Bristol, VA 24201. E-mail condolences may be sent to the family at akardfh@akardfuneralhome.com.

Akard Funeral Home, 1912 W. State St., Bristol, Tenn., (423) 989-4800, is serving the family of Vincent.

If you'd like to leave a few words on his guestbook, you may do so here:
http://www.legacy.com/gb2/default.aspx?bookID=5854169876834

Last edited:
Just did mine. Will be sending it shortly.

Seeso, this is amazing. Thank you so much for taking the reigns on this and providing such a high quality recording to sing to. I couldn't not tear up so my singing was even worse than normal, but I had to be involved. He was such a positive guy, and one of my first and best friends here. But again thank you for doing this.

Mahalo Seeso for the details, and links. I'm still in shock, way too young, and way too nice a person, his presence is already missed. Such a great thing you're doing Seeso but I feel so stupid right now, I have no hardware, software, anything to get involved in this project, still in 70s 8-track mode with a SLOW ten year old computer.:confused::mad::(

Last edited:
Such a shock... I'm speechless. Sweetest kid too.

Nice project - if I can get through it, I'm in.

Good call, Seeso. Thanks for taking it on.

I don't really like to do vids that show me, but I'm in for this one as long as I can get done in time.

What a choker. :(

EDIT: And, of course, the ONLY possible song choice under the circumstances. Oy... it ain't going to be easy to get words out...

Last edited:
For those of you without video capabilities, you can compose a short text message. I'll make sure that it's included in the video.

Thanks to Ukulele JJ for this idea.

ive recorded my part (Y)

so sad to see another UU member die,especially since he was so young :(

may my condolences be with his family and friends

mike

I didn't know CG, and I guess I won't get a chance to.:(
R.I.P. Captain Google.

A question about the song: Do you want us ladies to sing up the octave?
Some of those notes are a little bit out of my alto 2 range.

ive recorded my part (Y)

so sad to see another UU member die,especially since he was so young :(

may my condolences be with his family and friends

mike

Mike, I have not received your link. Have you sent it?

A question about the song: Do you want us ladies to sing up the octave?

Just do what's comfortable. It's up to you. Thanks.

hey seeso,

is it ok that i record mine in low G? can you work with that? I know that everyone plays both ways, the other being with the standard re-entrant high G and C string as their bass note, but I feel more comfortable playing in low G. Is there a preference?

This is scary, I have been thinking about making a collab like this for a few days. Not for the same reason though, but the same song. I am in for sure.

hey seeso,

is it ok that i record mine in low G? can you work with that? I know that everyone plays both ways, the other being with the standard re-entrant high G and C string as their bass note, but I feel more comfortable playing in low G. Is there a preference?

Yes, that's fine. Mine is in low G also.

B-roll footage?

I don't think I could pull off a full performance in this short of time. But I could add some "B-roll" footage, if you're interested. I have some nice blue sky time-lapse photography (I used it on my "I can see clearly now" reggae contest entry). I could also shoot some other shots, if you can think of anything... like close-ups of right or left hand playing ukulele(s). I am not far from the ocean, so that is an option, as well as urban, and other LA locals. The footage is HD, so the quality is pretty good. Give it some thought, and let me know.

–Lori

Top Bottom