Fiberglass?

UkuleleHill

Reaction score
Do you think it would be feasible to make the body of a ukulele out of fiberglass, with a solid wood top and still get a good sound out of it? If not fiberglass, what about some other material like carbon fiber? I have been contemplating this for a while... I just though maybe it would be easier to ask!

According to a 1972 Ovation ad, the "Lyrachord" that they use to make the backs of their instruments is "A patented fiberglas material." I'm sure they've made some changes over the years, but I imagine it's still basically a glass-impregnated resin - fiberglas.

gpmayjune19720008.jpg

I know nothing about the physics of sound and musical instruments. I do remember reading that Rainsong makes guitars out of carbon fiber.

I have to admit I love the idea of synthetics in regards to Ukuleles. It has me thinking that it would be safe to leave in a car regardless of the exterior weather conditions.

Have a Great Day,
Jim

I think fibre-glass would be the better choice... I've tapped on a few carbon-fibre bike frames, kayak paddles and hockey sticks and it doesn't seem like a good resonating material.

I think fibre-glass would be the better choice... I've tapped on a few carbon-fibre bike frames, kayak paddles and hockey sticks and it doesn't seem like a good resonating material.

A carbon-fiber panel of the same thickness would be stiffer that fiberglass; less resonance. You could tailor the resonance by changing the resin content.

I want to get a carbon fiber sound board with twin F holes for my Fluke, a truly outdoor 'ukulele.

New Millenium Acoustic makes complete carbon fiber and kevlar mandolins. They use Clear Carbn Concepts, maybe a division of Luis and Clark, to mold them and then NewMad does the finish work. They aren't cheap by any means and it isn't something you can readily do at home as you need an autoclave to bake them as they cure. I would guess that dasilva uses pre-impregnated carbon fiber sheets for his instruments which are widely available. I've seen a number of fiberglass instruments made using insulation foam as the mold.

Andrew

Do you think it would be feasible to make the body of a ukulele out of fiberglass, with a solid wood top and still get a good sound out of it? If not fiberglass, what about some other material like carbon fiber? I have been contemplating this for a while... I just though maybe it would be easier to ask!

Mike DaSilva in Berkeley, Calif., has made a custom carbon fiber uke. You might track hime down.

As long as you plan on making the top of wood, the uke should sound traditional and it has been done as other have suggested.

I read somewhere (long time ago) that an acclaimed luthier once built a traditional Spanish style guitar body - back and sides - from papier mache, with a regular wooden sound board. It was just an experiment, but the resulting instrument was much better than expected. I'm sure it could be made to work for a ukulele.

John Colter

My highly scientific experiments of using sea kayaks as drums has told me that either fibreglass or carbon finished only in epoxy will not sound as good as those that have a nice thick gel coat applied. This also means you can choose any colour you like.

Top Bottom