Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using a pick when playing the ukulele

Quote Originally Posted by collmaria View Post
    I am pretty new to the ukulele and am unsure whether or not to use a pick when playing. Also what kind of pick should I use? I heard about felt picks but I don't know where to get them.
    Learn to play with your fingers and hands, first. They are superb instruments. Your fingers give far more feedback than a pick. You can learn to use a pick later, once you got basic picking and strumming figured out.

When you do use a pick, consider something light and flexible. Felt picks are old-fashioned and clumsy, like fat, ugly SUVS. Where light picks fly over the strings like eager birds, felt picks wallow like bloated SUVs.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

Quote Originally Posted by collmaria View Post
    I am pretty new to the ukulele and am unsure whether or not to use a pick when playing. Also what kind of pick should I use? I heard about felt picks but I don't know where to get them.
    Try using your index finger to play the uke.
    Majority of all uke players use their hands that why

I played guitar and started with a felt pick on the Bari uke. Now I play no pick and have deep sixed it on the guitar for some songs. I attended a Joel Ekhaus workshop and saw the light.

I agree about using the felt pick if you want to use any pick at all. Picks are made for gut strings like on guitars, they don't have the same benefit to nylon strings and can easily wear them down faster than their steel counterparts.

It's also a good idea to stay away from picks because you'll need to use your hands for specific ukulele things down the road, like finger rolls, tapping, and having the luxury of being able to pluck non-adjacent strings without having to hit the whole chord.

I was just reading an interview with guitarist Kevin Eubanks. This quote reminded me of this thread:

"I don't understand why people would choose a pick over the fingers. It seems like trying to type a letter with one finger."

JJ

Thread Information