Updated information on Kanile'a Ukulele

YES with the factory install less with the picup itself.

Honestly have the guys at Buffalo brothers or Blue Guitar do it I have seen some mangled factory installs, or what I would call mangled. I did not order a pickup on my K5 from Joe because of the concerns others had expressed, and am going to do a after market one.

Personally if you are OK with a port in the bout of the ukulele go with any pickup that gives you the sound that you are looking for, I personally do not like the Markley's but if you have played one and it fits your sound by all means. I do no like it when they run with the wire out the sound hole it screws with my strumming.

Thanks... What do you mean "wire out of the soundhole"? I haven't seen that. My only experience....that has been positive with the sound of the Markleys is with the Ponos. Not sure what Pono uses now as a pick up??

They used to advertise it as a Markley passive.....now I think they call it a "Pono" pick up?? That is the one I was thinking of getting installed.....the "Pono" passive you can buy on their site..

i think what microbe was talking about is the removable pickup that sits in the soundhole of a guitar. but im pretty sure youre talking about the markley undersaddle passive pickup.

the bugsgear eleukes come with markley pickups. i dont dislike it. but im planning on getting a fishman AG passive undersaddle to replace the one i ripped outa my kala. i just think fishman has their shiz together when it comes to amplifying acoustic sound. just try out one of their amps... butter. i hear LR baggs are good too though.

i think what microbe was talking about is the removable pickup that sits in the soundhole of a guitar. but im pretty sure youre talking about the markley undersaddle passive pickup.

The only perment install Marley I have seen is the sound hole pickups. I do have one of there little button ones that stick to the outside of the uke with a bit of modelers clay and its not the greatest, but it was only like 40$.

Sorry for the confusion.

the bugsgear eleukes come with markley pickups. i dont dislike it. but im planning on getting a fishman AG passive undersaddle to replace the one i ripped outa my kala. i just think fishman has their shiz together when it comes to amplifying acoustic sound. just try out one of their amps... butter. i hear LR baggs are good too though.

Are those "uke specific" passives? Or does it even matter if it is made specifically for uke?? I have always wondered this...

Are those "uke specific" passives? Or does it even matter if it is made specifically for uke?? I have always wondered this...
it depends. i would have to take a look at the actual transducer. some transducers have sweetspots set evenly apart. so for a guitar there would be 6 of them, whereas on an uke it would have 4. but some transducers are equally sensitive throughout the rod. so it may be usable in an uke or guitar.

an old guitar of mine... cheapy feaux-vation knockoff... came with a passive pickup in it. when i was done with that guitar, i pulled the pickup out and installed it into my baritone. worked just fine. then i ripped it out of my baritone, bypassed the control box and hotwired the transducer directly to the phone jack and it is now in my ibanez acoustic. worked just fine with all three instruments.

kanilea ukulele

I think what is going to happen is everybody is going to do there own thing. What we can not do by the looks of it is personlaize stuff such as a your name some where or anyhting like that. But as far as binding purfling rosettes etc that will be a go. I have been talking to the Kristen souza the owner and I am getting all the details then i will respond how much we can get off in a new thread.

I think what is going to happen is everybody is going to do there own thing. What we can not do by the looks of it is personlaize stuff such as a your name some where or anyhting like that. But as far as binding purfling rosettes etc that will be a go. I have been talking to the Kristen souza the owner and I am getting all the details then i will respond how much we can get off in a new thread.

Can we all just get what you sort of decide on and THEN:

1. have them make a small addition like passive v. active pick up??

2. Also, the "custom"....is it decided on what they are doing for the headstock?

it depends. i would have to take a look at the actual transducer. some transducers have sweetspots set evenly apart. so for a guitar there would be 6 of them, whereas on an uke it would have 4. but some transducers are equally sensitive throughout the rod. so it may be usable in an uke or guitar.

an old guitar of mine... cheapy feaux-vation knockoff... came with a passive pickup in it. when i was done with that guitar, i pulled the pickup out and installed it into my baritone. worked just fine. then i ripped it out of my baritone, bypassed the control box and hotwired the transducer directly to the phone jack and it is now in my ibanez acoustic. worked just fine with all three instruments.

Thanks DIY guy...hahha. You got skillz Nuke.... What passive do you think is best to install in my "custom" tenor??

Thanks DIY guy...hahha. You got skillz Nuke.... What passive do you think is best to install in my "custom" tenor??

i dont have any real world experience with too many of the pickups out there. just by brand and reputation. for the most part, the most talked about pickups are the fishmans, LRBaggs, and Dean Markleys... with the DMs at the bottom of that list (but still sooooo much better than those shadows)

fishman and LRB are basically trade-offs that come down to the preference of the customer. the only experience i have with LRB is the para acoustic DI box. i had a fishman pickup in my classical ibanez and that thing sounds sweet. ive played through a fishman sound monster acoustic guitar amp, and that sucka was badass. i can only imagine what kind of clarity one could get by running a fishman pickup (passive or active) through an LRB PA DI, into a fishman sound monster, with a kanile'a uke bringing the music. but thats what i would like to do one of these days.

nate, i wouldnt shut out the option of a passive pickup yet. depending on what pickup you end up getting, you might be happy with the way it sounds. ive only had one personal experience with running an active pickup through my LRB DI. i didnt like it because it sounded like the signal was being doubled. almost gave it a chorus effect. but that was with my guitar. on the other hand, ive have seen and heard a kamaka with a fishman active pickup (think its a matrix) run through the LRB gigpro and it sounded beautiful. personally, i dont see the need to be running two preamps in tandem, but if it works...

thanks for the hookup. any rough idea when they can start taking the orders? days? weeks? months?

Depending on when this is (hopefully later rather than sooner - oh my wallet!), I may want a little piece of this as well. :D

I'm looking for anything from a super soprano up to a super concert. I might stretch to tenor depending on if that's that only thing on offer. I'm not looking for lots of bling, but I'd like that high gloss finish. Something like the K1 or K2 would be fine with me.

Last edited:
i dont have any real world experience with too many of the pickups out there. just by brand and reputation. for the most part, the most talked about pickups are the fishmans, LRBaggs, and Dean Markleys... with the DMs at the bottom of that list (but still sooooo much better than those shadows)

fishman and LRB are basically trade-offs that come down to the preference of the customer. the only experience i have with LRB is the para acoustic DI box. i had a fishman pickup in my classical ibanez and that thing sounds sweet. ive played through a fishman sound monster acoustic guitar amp, and that sucka was badass. i can only imagine what kind of clarity one could get by running a fishman pickup (passive or active) through an LRB PA DI, into a fishman sound monster, with a kanile'a uke bringing the music. but thats what i would like to do one of these days.

nate, i wouldnt shut out the option of a passive pickup yet. depending on what pickup you end up getting, you might be happy with the way it sounds. ive only had one personal experience with running an active pickup through my LRB DI. i didnt like it because it sounded like the signal was being doubled. almost gave it a chorus effect. but that was with my guitar. on the other hand, ive have seen and heard a kamaka with a fishman active pickup (think its a matrix) run through the LRB gigpro and it sounded beautiful. personally, i dont see the need to be running two preamps in tandem, but if it works...

Cool...yeh, I had a Fishman active in a Koaloha tenor. I had serious issues with feedback....not sure why. Also, it just had a volume control...which really is not that cool in my book. For me, if I ever go with an active again, I will want FULL control built into the uke.....I mean, THEN it would be worth the pain of having a friggen' battery inside the uke...maybe. I don't know, I just like the simplicity of a passive personally. Thanks for you input Nuke....you da' man..

Top Bottom