Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kala 15S or a Kala (insert fruit)?

Default Kala 15S or a Kala (insert fruit)?

I'd like to buy a ukulele for a beginner (but he plays the guitar) as a present (and perhaps a sneaky way to get him to play ukulele with me! ), and am deciding between a Kala KA15S (around 50$) and a Kala Pineapple/Kiwi/Watermelon(around 75$). Given the two, which one would you recommend? Any particulars I should be wary of in either of these instruments?

My local store also carries a bunch of beginner entry Mahalos and Makalas (both cheaper than 50, so the basic ones), so if you'd like to recommend either of these instead of the Kalas, please do as well. I figure Kalas might be slightly better anyway.

Oh, and for either of the two, any particular recommendations on the strings? Would love to set it up (well, by that I mean, just stringing it. I have no idea how to set up an instrument ) for my friend before giving it to him.

Thanks again for helping me out, as usual.

Still lusting after a Lava Flea and someday, a tenor, maybe?

i say fruit and aquilas. but it really depends on your friend. if he's not into kitsch, maybe go for the more standard looking uke.

I'd go for the standard look. Might help his future UAS addiction if he doesn't think it's some kind of toy.

Oh, he's totally into kitsch. But I'd love to know if the 25 dollar difference between the KA15S and the KA-fruit is strictly physical or that it does means a better sound on the latter.

Still lusting after a Lava Flea and someday, a tenor, maybe?

At that price, I think you're paying for paint, not sound.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVisi View Post
    At that price, I think you're paying for paint, not sound.
    Nothing wrong with that. and I can vouch for the sound of the pineapple. It's quite nice even though it's blinged out in a most fabulous manner.

I think you will get him playing no matter what the gift. The convenience of picking up an ukulele seems to win over guitarists very quickly.

I was mentioning how I started playing the ukulele to a guitarist friend of mine and he informed me that he now plays his daughter's ukulele at home exclusively.

Another buddy of mine doesn't have one yet, but seems likely to have nice ukulele before I ever do. He is always playing with my little Makala Dolphin when he is over here.

Go with the fruit. It is fun! And fun is good.
    —Gregory (has no tea)

I can vouch for the KIWI! These little ukes have good volume, decent tone, and a nice action w/ no real intonation problems...not a bad deal as long as you don't pay (shudder) retail price!

It's ouuurs, precious...It's our ukeses and we wants it, we needs it, we MUST haveses it! They might buyses it firsts, our ukeses in filthy, dirrty handses!

Fluke mango concert (Britney), Koa Pili Koko tenor (Beyonce), Melokia pineapple soprano (Miley), Kala kiwi soprano (Kylie), Brad D. superconcert (Fiona), Doane Clone baritone (Bjork), Cigar box tenor (Bonnie), Lanikai cedar deluxe concert (Katy)

If you're doing a poll, my vote if for the traditional style/shape. If you want to put more money into one, get a solid wood top.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

I so want a Kala Kiwi. Check out Lori's review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6RfRzMW1t0
    -KP (aka KC8AFW)

My YouTube Channel

Lanikai LU-21 Soprano | Mainland Mahogany Concert | 1930s Favilla U-2 Soprano | 1950s No-name Soprano | Ohana SK-38 Soprano

Thread Information