"roll" strum

deadeye

Reaction score
been working on this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEhYGzz7q-I

and...i got it down. its pretty easy to play i just hate how my am and f chords sound v.samey and boringgggg. i see taimane does a roll strum when changing chords, it just adds a bit of flare!

so

i cant do this. any tips?

dE

p.s. anyone who wants tabs to this just ask

you know i look at uke players like taimane, jake, and aldrine... and i usually tell myself that im not good enough to even try to learn those songs. after watching more of taimane's work though, i think im going to turn over a new leaf. im not going to get any better if i keep working on only what i think i can get pretty easily.

as for that roll strum, as far as i know, its all just timing. just like a triple (which to this day i still cant do right). takes practice.

Attachments

• RG uking.jpg
    RG uking.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 0
I've watched a lot of her videos and in my opinion she kind of overdoes the roll thing. Rolls are nice every so often but the way that she does it is very exaggerated. Subtle ones add that nice touch but if it's too rough and overdone, it can get a bit messy. Meh... just my opinion though.

I think one of the first lessons that we filmed for ukulele underground was the roll strum. So I'll explain it for those having a hard time.

I've watched a lot of her videos and in my opinion she kind of overdoes the roll thing. Rolls are nice every so often but the way that she does it is very exaggerated. Subtle ones add that nice touch but if it's too rough and overdone, it can get a bit messy. Meh... just my opinion though.

I agree. It is a fine line between "wow, nice" and "ick, ouch"

Attachments

• new uku.jpg
    new uku.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20110302_140314.jpg
    IMG_20110302_140314.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 47
She's very talented, though it does seem like she feels the need to prove it every time she plays. I don't know, maybe that's just her style...who am I to criticize? I'd kill for her skills!

And Deadeye, I would love to get the tab for that song.

tip? If you haven't yet, check out Aldrine's "Quick Tip" his two finger roll at iamhawaii. Great tip Aldrine! Just need to practice, practice... until it become fluid & natural.

Top Bottom