How to hold a contest

deach

Reaction score
  • A contest should have a tangible prize, whether it's a pack of mints or a brand new car.
  • A challenge is competition where reward is the completion of a task.
  • Having others do work for you and disguising it as a challenge is lame. Instead of holding a contest, just post "I need some help blah blah blah." There are plenty of helpful people here.

Every contest should contain the following:

• some sort of theme
  • specific rules (ie you must say "this is for the blah blah blah contest" at the beginning of the video)
  • end date (2-4 weeks is plenty of time)
  • number of entries permmited
  • judging criteria
  • prize

- Contest holders should announce winners in a timely fashion. If people are entering your contest, show them a little courtesy in return.

preach on oh mighty deach ! :D
:nana:

Are you challenging us to contest your competitive views?

Deach - your MmmBop contest was what inspired me to host my own...it was just too much fun seeing all the entries!!!

(and I'm sorry for bringing back up that time in your life that you probably wish to forget forever...:rofl:)

Thank you for clarifying a contest vs. challenge :)

• A contest should have a tangible prize, whether it's a pack of mints or a brand new car.
  • A challenge is competition where reward is the completion of a task.
  • Having others do work for you and disguising it as a challenge is lame. Instead of holding a contest, just post "I need some help blah blah blah." There are plenty of helpful people here.

Every contest should contain the following:

• some sort of theme
  • specific rules (ie you must say "this is for the blah blah blah contest" at the beginning of the video)
  • end date (2-4 weeks is plenty of time)
  • number of entries permmited
  • judging criteria
  • prize

- Contest holders should announce winners in a timely fashion. If people are entering your contest, show them a little courtesy in return.

spot on !!!!!!!!!!! :rock:

If there were a contest for "best post about how to hold a contest," then Deach's post would win, hands-down.

And I bet the prize would be something awesome, like... a pony, with spots shaped like ukuleles!

You know what, why doesn't UU have a commitee to provide contest guidance to the contest runners and maybe do the (masked) judging, that way we know the contests are on a level playing field, and it's not so hard for one person to pick winner(s). It would keep things timely, and light hearted! I would volunteer as a judge...or am I just spitting into the wind?

You know what, why doesn't UU have a commitee to provide contest guidance to the contest runners and maybe do the (masked) judging, that way we know the contests are on a level playing field, and it's not so hard for one person to pick winner(s). It would keep things timely, and light hearted! I would volunteer as a judge...or am I just spitting into the wind?

Starting to sound like Big Brother here.

Of course contests aren't on a level playing field. What deach would pick and what I would pick are probably two different choices. Same for anybody. Guidelines are fine and good. Making people follow them are a whole different story.

I hope this isn't about mine man..

I know it sucks I don't have prizes or anything.. I just thought it be cool to get a UU member to get a banner up for us..

I do have 2 contests in my head that follow with what you define a contest as.. One I think could be really freaking fun if it's done correctly. I just don't have the funds to get prizes for it.. yet.

That being said, as soon as I do get some sort of prizes.. I will be posting it, but not really sure how soon that'll be. I love UU and don't want to make it seem like I'm trying to get a banner cheaply or something.. I'm just broke.

I hope this isn't about mine man..
I made this list because there are so many "contests" running now. I thought it would be a helpful checklist for contest holders.

This list is compiled from my experiences of contests and entering contests.

A good example of how to run a contest - any official UU contest.

A good example of how to create a challenge - GrumpyCoyoteTune's Bring a Song Challenge

Last edited:
I think mine meets all of that criteria - with exception of the duration but I explained the reasoning behind that when I started the contest. I don't THINK i'm doing anything wrong... but i'm sure someone would tell me if I was.

I think mine meets all of that criteria - with exception of the duration but I explained the reasoning behind that when I started the contest. I don't THINK i'm doing anything wrong... but i'm sure someone would tell me if I was.

Like Deach said - it's just a helpful checklist...he's not making "RULES" for running a contest. Your contest has been so much fun - don't worry about it! :D

I can't wait to put together an entry for your contest when I get back from vacation. Awesome stuff.

I'm now inspired to hold a contest. A good one, hopefully.

Top Bottom