Thread: Vintage Uke coming my way!

RyanMFT Guest

Default Vintage Uke coming my way!

I am a lurker of the forums and never post but I am just jumping out of my skin because I think a friend is giving me a vintage uke. I know you all can understand!

A long time friend at the university where I work saw me playing uke on the campus last week. She stopped to listen and said she has her father's uke from the 40's that he got in Hawaii during the war. She said she would look for it because it has been in a closet as long as she can remember. (I managed not to bug her even once since then to see if she looked for it) Today, she emailed and said she found it and brought it with her.......the anticipation is killing me. I have about an hour to wait before I can go see it!

What could it be? I hope to bring an old uke back to life!

Like they say -- Pics or it didn't happen. The suspense will kill us. Let us know what you got.

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Like they say -- Pics or it didn't happen. The suspense will kill us. Let us know what you got.
    Sooooo true!!
    Want to see it
    Demons run when a good man goes to war. Night will fall and drown the sun when a good man goes to war. Friendship dies and true love lies. Night will fall and the dark will rise when a good man goes to war. Demons run but count the cost; the battle's won but the child is lost.

YouTube
    Twitter Follow?

RyanMFT Guest

Well, sad to say it didn't happen. She brought the uke, a sunburst Harmony with a "mother of toilet seat" fretboard and headstock. Condition was poor, neck was almost totally detached from the body, a couple of big cracks on the sides starting under the heel, and two long cracks on the soundboard. It was filthy as well.

When I was looking at it she decided she would have to check with her son to see if he wanted to have it repaired and play it.

Oh well, another time......sad to see it go back into a closet.

Maybe I should buy another uke to make up for the disappointment! Thanks for the support guys!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMFT View Post
    Well, sad to say it didn't happen. She brought the uke, a sunburst Harmony with a "mother of toilet seat" fretboard and headstock. Condition was poor, neck was almost totally detached from the body, a couple of big cracks on the sides starting under the heel, and two long cracks on the soundboard. It was filthy as well.

When I was looking at it she decided she would have to check with her son to see if he wanted to have it repaired and play it.

Oh well, another time......sad to see it go back into a closet.

Maybe I should buy another uke to make up for the disappointment! Thanks for the support guys!
    Aww, sorry to hear. At least she thought about you. Maybe next time.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMFT View Post
    ...Maybe I should buy another uke to make up for the disappointment! Thanks for the support guys!
    I like the way you think.

Sorry for your dissapointment...and welcome to UU. We will be happy to help you spend your money.
    -KP (aka KC8AFW)

My YouTube Channel

Lanikai LU-21 Soprano | Mainland Mahogany Concert | 1930s Favilla U-2 Soprano | 1950s No-name Soprano | Ohana SK-38 Soprano

Thread Information