Uke recommendations??????

evanL777

Reaction score
I am going to buy a new uke very soon. I currently have a cheap soprano. It doesnt project sound well at all. I want to get a concert because I heard they are much louder. I want to spend $200-$300 and preferably want a KALA. I have a few questions that hopefully you guys can answer.
1.) Does having a pickup ruin the sound when playing without an amp? Does a uke sound good on an amp anyway?
2.) I'm not sure which type of wood to choose. I am deciding between koa, mahogany, and maybe mango. What is the main difference in woods? Are certain woods louder/project sound better?
3.) Are there disadvantages to a 200-300$ koa uke? Why is Koa the usually the choice of pro uke players. I dont know anything about mango, but it looks really cool.
4.) Do all uke's basically sound the same? (I'm not an experienced player)

You would really help me out if you could answer these questions or recommend a kala that fits my description. Thanks

Before you buy a new instrument, what kind of strings are on your soprano? Have you tried Aquila? They seem to work magic on inexpensive ukes - they sound WAY better than the thin black strings that come on most budget ukes.

i would go for a kala .. and try to get koa wood.. concerts are nice i have a tenor kala and it sounds beautiful ! you should try to get one from mgm on ebay he has good deals and is amazing at getting them to you fast and in good shape i would go for a kala .. and try to get koa wood.. concerts are nice i have a tenor kala and it sounds beautiful ! you should try to get one from mgm on ebay he has good deals and is amazing at getting them to you fast and in good shape ! and my kala ka-tg is the only one ive ever played but if you wanna hear how it sounds you can click the link in my signature and i play it in there.. koa is usually picked i think because it brings out the sound more and gives it a warmer tone

Last edited:
well i dont know about mango since ive never played on one .. but koa and mahogany are good .. i personally like koa.. but its whatever you like better... as for acoustic electric.. no it doesnt take away fro the acoustic sound.. and yes ukes sound pretty cool amped up .. again i personally like them acoustic.. but im also in the process of getting a custom acoustic electric built right now lol .. so yea lol

i live on the east coast so there arent many places to try out ukes. i have never tried or even seen a concert or tenor uke in person. So i am basically relying on the answers I receive on this thread. How much different is the sound for a concert and tenor (besides how loud it is)?

Thought I would through my thoughts out there. A koa and mango kala have been reccomended. I had a kala mango tenor and it was a fine instrument but it was a laminate, I believe the kala koa is lamanite as well. If you want to spend $200-$300 I would reccomend getting something with at least a solid top if not an all solid body. If you are getting a concert you should be able to find something solid in this price point. I would also suggest not limiting yourself to one brand. Kala does make some fine instruments but so do some other companies. Mainland, Ohana, Lanaki, ....

If you go with MGM try and give him a call and speak with him. He won't steer you wrong.

Top Bottom