friction tuners vs. sealed geared tuners?

Slightly off topic:-

I've only had geared tuners, so while I know what friction tuners and sealed geared tuners look like physically, how do you use them?

I just assume you use them the same way you use geared tuners (by turning the pegs to tune), but the pegs are just in a different place (or covered), and it seems like you might need to use a screwdriver or something to turn them. Am I completely off?

Ian Chadwick, it's not a matter of overall weight; it is the balance. My Kala Travel uke used to balance at the seventh fret. I've changed to lightweight friction tuners, and it now balances at around the eleventh fret. It makes a big difference to the way it feels in use. It might not bother someone else, but it's MY uke, and I want it to feel right to me.

John Colter.

John, you have a good point. On that particular Kala uke, the weight is definitely felt. The headstock is heavy.

Planetary Pegs

I'm surprised no one makes Planetary Tuners for uke. I have them on my banjos and they're the best. They have a 4:1 ratio and are geared, but they are inline, not right-angled.

I just received my first friction pegged uke, I think I'll adapt. Might make changing strings easier.

Slightly off topic:-

I've only had geared tuners, so while I know what friction tuners and sealed geared tuners look like physically, how do you use them?

I just assume you use them the same way you use geared tuners (by turning the pegs to tune), but the pegs are just in a different place (or covered), and it seems like you might need to use a screwdriver or something to turn them. Am I completely off?

The big thing with friction tuners and why some folks have a problem with them is that the turning ratio is 1:1. So one revolution of the knob is equal to one revolution of the peg. Gears on the other hand will change the ratio and make it larger, so it might be 8:1 where you have to turn the knob eight times around to make the peg rotate once.

The 1:1 ratio can seem tricky if you're used to cranking a gear since it requires much less turning for the string to be effected. Just really small tweaks and until you get a feel for how they work there is a tendency to continually overshoot your mark.

So while it is easier to fine tune with gears, there is some weight issues for some kinds and also an aesthetic aspect to how they look compared to the much more classic and traditional friction tuners.

Either works just fine for me. You're free to reach your own conclusions.

I'm surprised no one makes Planetary Tuners for uke. I have them on my banjos and they're the best. They have a 4:1 ratio and are geared, but they are inline, not right-angled.

I just received my first friction pegged uke, I think I'll adapt. Might make changing strings easier.

They are manufactured. They are pricey and a couple of custom luthiers do have them available, but you have to pay a stiff price for them.

I use both friction and geared tuners: The main problem with friction tuners is the ability to hold the string in tune. If the screw is not sufficiently tight, the peg will slip...it is all too easy to overtighten the screw and strip the threads...which would cause even bigger problems.

I've just replaced cheap Grover's on my Concert with Gotoh precision tuners...I think I've got the screws sufficiently tight, but have also noticed the screw head has rounded...making further adjustment or replacement difficult.

Top Bottom