Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the benefit of having a couple more frets

One uke can play 2 notes higher. Most players, including me, will probably never need to use those notes. Buy whichever uke fits your requirements best. Those 2 extra notes need not be a consideration.

If it were the difference between 12 frets and 14, that would be a big consideration.

KEN
    KEN

Ken Middleton Ukulele

http://www.KenMiddleton.co.uk

For Living Water Strings go to http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx

For Ohana related comments, observations and questions, email me at ken@ohana-music.com

Remember: a ukulele is forever.

My favorite concert is an extended neck. It has 19 frets and there are 14 to the body. It also has a cut-away and that gives access to the upper frets. Do I use them, yes, occasionally.
    Ukulele Player is Still ONLINE.... you can find it here:

https://archive.org/details/issue30_201712
    (Ukulele Player Magazine)
    Ukulele Player Magazine STORE...
    http://www.zazzle.com/ukeplayermagazine

This talk reminds me of the Jake concert I saw in March. He played some song and was playing well up the strings where there weren't any frets. It was amazing.

A KALA concert with 20 frets? Must be a long neck or something, my KALA tenor has only 18 frets and it is standard sized. What is the scale length of the KALA in question? I think 15 frets is standard on a concert with 12 up to the body (one octave) it sounds like you might be looking at a couple of tenors.
    Last edited by ukulelebadass; 07-20-2009 at 03:45 AM.
    “Are music and movies killing America's soul? I hope so! Somebody better be killing America's soul if their idea of what our soul should revolve around consists of things like 'who's going to win on survivor,' or 'don't worry about global warming worry about staying forever young!” -Jello Biafra

Quote Originally Posted by ukulelebadass View Post
    A KALA concert with 20 frets? Must be a long neck or something, my KALA tenor has only 18 frets and it is standard sized. What is the scale length of the KALA in question? I think 15 frets is standard on a concert with 12 up to the body (one octave) it sounds like you might be looking at a couple of tenors.
    I was curious about this and here is what I found. A luthier would have the specs on scale length, etc. that would explain these variations.

My Jenny concert - 19 frets, 14 to the body
    My Kala f-hole tenor - 18 frets, 14 to the body
    My Pono tenor 19 frets 14 to the body
    My Tenor neck fluke - 17 frets, 12 to the body
    My KoAloha long neck soprano - 17 frets, 14 to the body

Internet search
    HF-2 Kamaka Concert - 16 frets, 12 to the body
    Oscar Schmidt OU2 Concert - 16 frets, 12 to the body
    Ohana CK 10S/20S/35G-Concert 19 frets, 14 to the body
    Oscar Schmidt OU250Bell - 21 frets, 14 to the body

In answer to the original post, more frets = higher notes.

I love my three, 12 fret and one, 14 fret sopranos as much as any of the longer neck/more fret ukes.

Regards,
    Ray
    Let's have a laugh after we cry. Let's hope we live before we die. Loudon Wainwright III
    Best Regards,
    Ray

Is the 18 fret board the same length just that you have more space on each Fret?

For me that's the biggest difference between a Concert and a Tenor is that the Fret spacing is a bit wider on my Tenor, more forgiving....

Thread Information