Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Choice of 3 Tenors: Lanikai, Kala, Oscar Schmidt--Any Thoughts?

Default here's my review of the lanikai

hey cool to see someone checkin out this thread.

i eventually went with the lanikai. but from additional research, it seems that the lanikai and the kala are virtually identical apart from small cosmetic differences.

overall i am very, very happy with my lanikai.

here's my review link i posted on uu a while back. http://ukuleleunderground.com/ukerev...ufacturerID=17
    i've got 2 reviews of the same uke with slightly diff #'s. why? i posted a review and then it never, ever appeared. i thought i did something wrong so i wrote another one. and without having the first review to refer to, some of the #'s may be a bit different. after a while, both reviews popped up on the site--oh well. but overall i love the uke.

here's some add'l pics of my uke.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...625#post187625

basically what did it for me was about a $20 difference i came up with in cost and shipping and perceived value. there were both added or seemingly free things tossed in from both top ebay uke sellers. when i added them all up it was a diff of $20. but in the future, i would probably buy from mgm.

my experience on uu, his feedback and rep on here and his presence on here, his generosity to contests and other things on here have really made me into a future customer.

here's what the uke sounds like in a recent video. note that i had to point the sound hole away from the comp so it wouldn't drown out my voice on the comp's mic.
    http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...485#post267485

i think that if you went with either the lanikai or the kala, you'd be happy. but of course, if you get the chance, try them out first. i didn't get the chance. it was a leap of faith based on the scant handful of ukes i did get to play before going with this one.

good luck in your decision! let me know what you eventually decide.

"God wen get so plenny love an aloha fo da peopo inside da world, dat he wen send me, his one an ony Boy, so dat everybody dat trus me no get cut off from God, but get da real kine life dat stay to da max foeva... Whoeva stay trus me, God no goin punish dem. But whoeva no trus me, garans God goin punish dem, cuz dey neva trus me, God's ony Boy."
    - John Tell Bout Jesus (John) 3:16, 18

Great video 3 nails. For a first effort the quality was outstanding. Thanks for posting it, as I have also been thinking about the Lanikai ST, and it always helps to be able to listen to it in a well played video.

Quote Originally Posted by haolejohn View Post
    In your price range kala is the best. I have owned three kalas and currenbtly own one. They are great ukes for the price. I also own a koaloha and three meles and my kala still gets play time.

You should also check out www.ukerepublic.com he is in georgia and my uke club at school has purchased over twenty ukes from him. I have never had a bad experience purchasing a uke yet.

UkeRepublic is definitely worth checking out. Shoot Mike an e-mail and he will be sure to work with you, he's a great guy.
    Your pal,
    ~Dustin~

Mookulele ~ Kala Travel Tenor "Kaleakani" ~ Mainland Slotted Mahogany "Paula" ~ Mainland Honeybee ~ 1960s Martin "Style 0" (family heirloom) ~ and a couple others...
    "Sometimes people try to stick labels on me, but I have kinda oily skin, so they just fall off."-SailorQwest
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche
    - Facebook - Twitter - Come SUB me, baby!!!

Default Very satisfied with Kala!

Another testimonial for Kala here.

I love my Kala tenor so much that I am not lusting after any other uke in the near future. I set it up myself to my own preference and it is just lovely. I gig mine on stage regularly with a band. It gets played hard and often and has never let me down.

I tend to be loyal to businesses and brands who give me good value and service. If I ever do buy another uke I'll be looking at Kala first. If they have what I want I will probably look no further.
    And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no,
    And whether the skin be black or white as the snow,
    Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong,
    As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.

Quote Originally Posted by 3nails4holes View Post
    also, i was gifted a mitchell mu-70 by a very generous uu member. so i now have two ukuleles where just a few days ago i had none. the mitchell looks fantastic and has a nice sound to it. it came with kala reds, but after playing the lanikai tenor that came with aquilas, i think i may switch out the reds for some aquilas. a big, huge mahalo for the kindness of this member! may God bless you in a great way for your thoughtfulness.
    Wow, how lovely!
    If I may make a string suggestion for the Mitchell, based on my experience with my MU-100: Ko'olau Golds.

for what a little shameless self-promotion is worth, I've got a Lanikai S-T for sale in the marketplace that could save someone a few bucks
    http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...ad.php?t=22446

Fluke concert | Honu traditional tenor (TR-KRGT) | Kala KA-Watermelon | Lanikai spruce top 6 string (O-6) | Mainland mahogany concert-slotted headstock (CMM-CGH) | Stagg electric-gibson style (EUK L-SB)

thanks for the encouragement sweetwb! i really appreciate the feedback!

now if i can only come up with something to win that mgm Christmas contest.

"God wen get so plenny love an aloha fo da peopo inside da world, dat he wen send me, his one an ony Boy, so dat everybody dat trus me no get cut off from God, but get da real kine life dat stay to da max foeva... Whoeva stay trus me, God no goin punish dem. But whoeva no trus me, garans God goin punish dem, cuz dey neva trus me, God's ony Boy."
    - John Tell Bout Jesus (John) 3:16, 18

Thread Information