Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choice of 3 Tenors: Lanikai, Kala, Oscar Schmidt--Any Thoughts?

I believe the KALA and Lanikai are made in China, and the Oscar Schmidt in Indonesia. I have never heard any negatives on the Kala, and rarely on the Lanikai but the Oscar Schmidt I hear complaints about them being too heavily built (great for self protection) so the volume muted though they are pretty to look at. I grew up swimming and diving Lanikai Beach so have an attachment to the place but personally prefer the Kala for consistency.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

I ʻike lākou, ʻo ʻoe, ka mea wale nō nona ka inoa ʻo IĒHOVA;
    ʻO ʻoe nō ka Mea kiʻekiʻe loa ma luna o ka honua a pau.
    Nā Halelū 83:18

i have that kala.... and its fantastic. So easy to play, the finish is really nice and shiny, and it sounds really amazing.

kala the way to goo!!

I just got the Lanikai spruce top from a dealer on eBay with Aquila strings, hard case and chord book for $158. Free shipping, no tax. I ordered it on, like, a Tuesday and had it in my hands on Friday.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-LANIKA...3%3A1|294%3A50

I can't compare to other dealers or ukes since this is my first real uke, but I'm really happy with this one so far.
    Wanna play something you don't pluck for a change?
    www.busmanwhistles.com

kala all the way.. haha.. its better of the three mos def..
    BENEATH THE CLOTHES, YOU FIND A MAN. AND BENEATH THE MAN, YOU FIND.. HIS NUCLEUS.. HAHA

http://youtube.com/soulfunkadeliq
    http://www.myspace.com/soulfunkadeliq
    http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...mber.php?u=284

RE: MGM vs. Ukulele4U - They are both great. I prefer MGM just because I've had more interaction with him and he is fantastic. But I've also purchased a couple of Kalas from Rob at the Ukulele Shop and his service was also top-notch.

Heck...they're both ukulele people - they must be cool!
    1:99
    The PoHo Store

We've got a ukulele cool that can't be faked. -hoosierhiver
    ...if being a good person was easy no one would be a dick. -skitzic
    I have no issues with bluntness, but being an asshat is not being blunt, it's just being an asshat. -austin1

Being that your in NC, I might plan a trip to Wilmington and visit the North Carolina Ukulele Academy and give a couple of theirs a test-run. I know they sell Kala brand, not sure about Lanikai or OS... and I don't know what they currently have in stock, but if you sent them an email, I'm sure they could give you some details.

Of the three, I'd recommend Kala, followed by Lanikai. I've got both and have no problems with either. Both are well made and sound sweet. But of the two, I think my Kalas are somewhat better products. OS are often reports as hit-and-miss in construction and setup. The OS models I've played in stores didn't impress enough to buy one.

I'd also give serious consideration to Mainland. Great instruments, well made, lots of volume and sustain.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

Default i finally picked one!

i went with the lanikai s-t.

what tipped the final balance? i put an estimated value on all of the items in both packages (hard case, setup, etc.). after considerable research and photo comparisons, the lanikai s-t and the kala ka-st seem to be remarkably identical instruments.

and yet with the package value estimation, the actual kala instrument would require about $30 more dollars than the actual lanikai instrument.

so, i may have made a spectacular blunder or stumbled upon a great deal. all i know is that with that $30 difference i can buy some extra strings and a clip-on tuner or other nice extras!

i'm going to post images and a review of my new uke soon!

also, i was gifted a mitchell mu-70 by a very generous uu member. so i now have two ukuleles where just a few days ago i had none. the mitchell looks fantastic and has a nice sound to it. it came with kala reds, but after playing the lanikai tenor that came with aquilas, i think i may switch out the reds for some aquilas. a big, huge mahalo for the kindness of this member! may God bless you in a great way for your thoughtfulness.

and thank you all so much for your feedback.

while the overwhelming votes were for the kala from mgm. i think i made the right choice for my meager funds at the time. and if they really are practically identical instruments, then i did save some money.

but mgm will probably be my go to guy for the upgrade in a year or five when i can roll the coin for the next one. the constant and consistent support he gets on here is without equal in loyalty among any market i have seen.

is there some kind of antidote or treatment for uas?

Default I'm in the same boat!

I have been researching these 3 exact ukuleles for the past couple of months. I've been heavily leaning towards the Kala from MGM, just because I want the case and great action.

OP, could you post your review of your lanikai s-t?

Thread Information