First Electric Ukulele Questions

lax-uker

Reaction score
Hello, I purchased a descent ($99) ukulele a few months ago and have been hooked on it ever since. While finding it to be extremely enjoyable, I became increasingly curious about electric ukuleles and their sound possibilities etc and researched a little. I found that there are acoustic ones with a sound hole on the front/top but some (Applause Ukuleles) are solid without a sound hole. My questions are what are the true differences between those with a hole and those w/o when it comes to a electric and also if there are any key facts i should be aware of when it comes to electric ukuleles if I am considering buying one.:confused: Thank you

Hey there, welcome to UU!

Although i don't have as much experience as some of the great Ukulele players on the forums, I do own an electric ukulele, an Eleuke tenor. The difference between the solid body types (The Eleuke) and the ones with soundholes is that you can use the latter without amplification, it could be used as an acoustic instrument also. The Eleuke is solid and therefore almost silent when not amplified, its great for quietly practicing while watching t.v or when other household members are sleeping. The Eleukes also have an earphone socket so you and only you can hear your playing aloud. They are fun instruments, i do have an all acoustic ukulele too and me personaly i wouldn't buy an electro-acoustic now i have the Eleuke, i guess its all down to personal preference and what you are looking for. I hope that helped a little.

To be fair, it all depends what you're looking for. I've got a Koa Kala uke, with a pick up on it, which on its own sounds great as an acoustic ukulele. But you can plug it into an amp, and it keeps the sound quality, but you can adjust the volume. Of course, depending on the amp, you can play with the effects. There's nothing quite like shredding on an ukulele set to the metal setting on a 30-Watt guitar amp :nana:

Thank you for both of your responses they help me greatly. Also i was wondering if there was a sound difference when plugged into an amp between the solid ones and the ones with sound holes?

Glad that helped, as i only have an Eleuke and an all acoustic ukulele i can't really compare the two electric types but i would imagine the electro-acoustic would have more of an authentic ukulele sound. I didn't buy my Eleuke to have it sound like an acoustic ukulele i bought it to have some fun with it and create some different sounds. I use a Roland microcube and that does have lots of effects built into it to create fun sounds but it also has an acoustic setting, after tinkering with it for a while you can get quite a nice acoustic effect. Hopefully someone will post to give you information on the electro-acoustic ukuleles for you to decide what to buy.

Well thank you for your assistance it has helped greatly, and I am now deciding i will most likely get an Acoustic-Electric ukulele. Now I just have to decide on one thank you.

I found that there are acoustic ones with a sound hole on the front/top but some (Applause Ukuleles) are solid without a sound hole.
Applause HAS soundholes - several in fact, but they are smaller and hidden within the epaulets on the shoulder of the top. It's a reasonable uke unplugged, but better plugged in, IMHO.

Solid body electric ukes like the Risa and Eleuke have almost no sound unplugged. They require an amplifier or come with internal headphone amp for solo listening. They don't sound at all like an acoustic uke. No bad, just different.

If you want a multi-purpose ukulele, get an acoustic with a pickup. That way you can play it unplugged/plugged in.​

Hello, Just jumpin in on this thread cuz I wondered..... If you go for a acoustic/electro over a solid electric uke then what would be the differences if you wanted to use pedals/multi-effects boxes? The effect boxes would work just fine with the solid electrics, but can you use them with acoustic/electric??? Surely the effect would be somewhat diluted as you'd be hearing the acoustic sound without effects and only the amplified sound with effects. :confused: For me, the use of a multi-effects box would a large part of chosing an electric uke.

Hey there, welcome to UU!

Although i don't have as much experience as some of the great Ukulele players on the forums, I do own an electric ukulele, an Eleuke tenor. The difference between the solid body types (The Eleuke) and the ones with soundholes is that you can use the latter without amplification, it could be used as an acoustic instrument also. The Eleuke is solid and therefore almost silent when not amplified, its great for quietly practicing while watching t.v or when other household members are sleeping. The Eleukes also have an earphone socket so you and only you can hear your playing aloud. They are fun instruments, i do have an all acoustic ukulele too and me personaly i wouldn't buy an electro-acoustic now i have the Eleuke, i guess its all down to personal preference and what you are looking for. I hope that helped a little.

thanks for this POST.. i saw those at Island Bizarre here in HB a few days back... and I got to strum them.. LOVE the feel.. and my girl would love it if i could plug in ear phones and not make a bunch of noise at night! nice review...

d

Thanks for that, glad i was of some help. And to Scooch i havn't used an A/E with pedals so can't comment but i use effects with the Eleuke (Solid) and its much fun!

thanks for this POST.. i saw those at Island Bizarre here in HB a few days back... and I got to strum them.. LOVE the feel.. and my girl would love it if i could plug in ear phones and not make a bunch of noise at night! nice review...

d
Yes, Shirley at Island Bazaar in Huntington Beach CA, just got in a whole bunch of Elukes. Check 'em out everybody.

Thanks for that, glad i was of some help. And to Scooch i havn't used an A/E with pedals so can't comment but i use effects with the Eleuke (Solid) and its much fun!

I defo want the Solid Eleuke with the new mp3 function ! :)

Feedback

A acoustic electric ukulele (or guitar) is intended for getting that acoustic sound amplified. In a loud environment, like a gig, the acoustic instrument is going to want to feedback. The tone from the speaker will resonate inside the body of the uke generating more sound which will come out of the speaker and resonate in the body of the uke and before you know it you get that feedback howl. You'd need a decent sound engineer to setup the speakers such that you don't get the feedback. A solid body electric uke (or guitar) is a different animal. It will never sound like an acoustic. It can sound crystal clear or crunchy and heavy metal or anywhere in between, but it won't sound like an acoustic uke. It can be played LOUD and feedback isn't a concern. A solid body electric will also have metal strings (the metal strings vibrating over the magnetic pickup is where the sound signal is generated). You have to play with a pick or you will shred your fingers. One last difference, my acoustic electric has an undersaddle pickup. When I plug it in I get a distinct string thump noise when playing. Luckily since it's a uke this can be cured by turning down the bass or probably by using a decent acoustic amp. Sorry for the stream of conscience, this was basically a dump of my limited knowledge.

Final big difference. You can't do this with an acoustic electric:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76wepUgMh3A

Top Bottom