Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: UU Give-Away Contest - The LEGEND of Ohana Ukuleles

Default UU Give-Away Contest - The LEGEND of Ohana Ukuleles

Hey UUers!

Click to check out the official contest video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD7HbKqaE8k

We've had this beautiful Ohana soprano locked away in it's shiny new hardshell case we NEED to give it away to one of you soon! So if you're up to the challenge (or just want a new ukulele really badly) here's what you can do ...

1. Write your own "Legend of the Ohana Ukulele". Be as creative and imaginative as you want (just keep it PG, please).
    2. Post it in this thread.

Rules:
    - Stories must be less than 200 words. Keep it short and sweet.
    - Only one entry per person (we'll count your first entry), so polish it and perfect it before you post it.
    - As stated, keep it PG. Your legend should be creative, but also something that you'd be able to read to a 5-year-old without having to think twice about censorship.

Prize: Ohana SK-35 G (Solid Mahogany Soprano) + hardshell case
    Deadline: August 31, 2009 (11:59pm HST)

Hawaii is filled with many myths and legends. If you'd like to familiarize yourself with the structure and style of Hawaiian legends, HERE are a few classic Hawaiian legends, as interpreted by 4th graders (and around 200 words each).

Good Luck - now go get your writing on!
    Last edited by anaka; 08-01-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Awesome challenge! I'm in. It's going to be really tough to stay below 200. But it wouldn't be a challenge without that, right?

dang im gonna gun for that!
    i need an upgrade hahah
    Guitar history:

Once there was a ukulele that was loved a played almost everyday and was really fit. But once the owner bought a better ukulele, this special one let go and started to get "fat" and bigger. She grew and she grew and two extra tuners. She was never found again.

moral: Never isolate your uke with other ukes or musical instruments and always keep playing! aloha!

... and yes it all started with a ukulele!

haha, mine is going to be lame as..

South Korea (Originally from Honolulu, Hawaii)

Quote Originally Posted by UkuLeLesReggAe View Post
    haha, mine is going to be lame as..
    Lame as what? ^_^

Awesome challange!
    Demons run when a good man goes to war. Night will fall and drown the sun when a good man goes to war. Friendship dies and true love lies. Night will fall and the dark will rise when a good man goes to war. Demons run but count the cost; the battle's won but the child is lost.

YouTube
    Twitter Follow?

Default UkeNinja's "Legend of the Ohana ukulele"

Long ago, there was a lonely ukulele called Ohana. Lonely because she could make sounds that would make the gods stop doing their important godly things, but humans did not give her one look, because they still had to invent music.

One day, she sat down under a tree and weeped because there was no one to play with. A few curious birds heard her and flew over to see what was wrong. “Why are you so sad?” they asked. “I have all these beautiful voices in me but no one can make them sing” said Ohana.

Then, a flurry of wind came and made her strings sing as they had never done before. The birds looked at the strings and how the wind played them, and started to pick Ohana gently, and from that day her songs would sound even when there was no wind. The other animals gathered around to enjoy Ohana’s songs, and sang along.

Ohana learned her sound from the birds and the wind long ago. If you are lucky enough to meet one of her grandchildren today, you too can hear that beautiful voice.

Play light as the wind, and gentle as a little bird.
    sigs disabled kthxbai

No fair, that's the winning entry right there! I can't compete with that

Srsly tho, wonderful story Ninja. Made me happy to read it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UkeNinja View Post
    Long ago, there was a lonely ukulele called Ohana. Lonely because she could make sounds that would make the gods stop doing their important godly things, but humans did not give her one look, because they still had to invent music.

One day, she sat down under a tree and weeped because there was no one to play with. A few curious birds heard her and flew over to see what was wrong. “Why are you so sad?” they asked. “I have all these beautiful voices in me but no one can make them sing” said Ohana.

Then, a flurry of wind came and made her strings sing as they had never done before. The birds looked at the strings and how the wind played them, and started to pick Ohana gently, and from that day her songs would sound even when there was no wind. The other animals gathered around to enjoy Ohana’s songs, and sang along.

Ohana learned her sound from the birds and the wind long ago. If you are lucky enough to meet one of her grandchildren today, you too can hear that beautiful voice.

looks like i have to step my game up a notch
    Guitar history:

Once there was a ukulele that was loved a played almost everyday and was really fit. But once the owner bought a better ukulele, this special one let go and started to get "fat" and bigger. She grew and she grew and two extra tuners. She was never found again.

moral: Never isolate your uke with other ukes or musical instruments and always keep playing! aloha!

... and yes it all started with a ukulele!

Quote Originally Posted by UkeNinja View Post

WOW! That was so cool, really enjoyed reading.

Thread Information