UU Give-Away Contest - The LEGEND of Ohana Ukuleles

Status
Not open for further replies.
a chief elika was determined to marry Iailene.but she wanted nothing to do with him in fear of being disowned by her family. they were from feuding families and could not be together under any circumstances. so elika went to seek counsel and came upon Iolakana-the god of music. he assured elika that everything would work out because music heals all. he did not believe,until iolakana put a wood with strings in his hands.he asked "what is this?" iolakana answered "the key to your future.it is an ohana" he strummed it and over the mountain,the wind carried the tune into iailene's ears. she was intrigued and filled with the yearning to love. elika asked if he could keep it to win iailene's heart and the god replied, "as long as you promise to continue on and fill other peoples lives with love and peace" he agreed and shortly after, they were married and he continued with his promise. he carved with his own hands, ohana's for all who desired to share in this precious gift of music.the god of music iolakana, while strumming his own ohana,looked down and smiled.

The Legend of the Ohana Ukulele

Little Alaneo was an orphan. Each morning Alaneo would meet the sun on the eastern shore and each afternoon she would meet the sun on the western shore. At nighttime, Alaneo would play her worn ukulele to comfort the sun, as she hid from the dark. The ukulele was held together with string and glue, because Alaneo could not afford a new ukulele.

One night, Alaneo started to play, and her ukulele broke in two. She started to cry, knowing how scared the sun must be without the music. Far above, the moon heard her crying, and felt sorry for the child, and for her sister the sun. Reaching down, she called to the guardian of the forest, and he made a small, beautiful ukulele, which he laid at the feet of Alaneo, who had cried herself to sleep. When Alaneo woke, she picked up the ukulele and began to play. The music was so beautiful that the moon and sun adopted her and took her into the sky, and from then on she lived forever as Ohana with the moon at night, and the sun during the day, playing her little ukulele, which had helped her find a family.

Everyone's stories have been fun! Figured I'd give it a whirl.:)

In the ancient days of Hawaii while Kane, the creator, was building places on the islands for his people to thrive. He sat and pondered how to bring his people closer together and celebrate as one. As he sat atop a tall mountain in an isolated valley he listened to the winds and rain of Lono, and heard the percussion of Kanaloa as he sent waves rolling into the rocky cliffs below. And with this beautiful symphony around him he had an idea.

Kane ventured down out of the valley to a small village of people. Here he placed a ukulele. He shared with his people the sounds that he had first heard on the mountain top. The people rejoiced and played the ukulele. Lakakane, the god of hula, heard the music and came down to the village and began to dance. He shared with them the art of Hula, and the people celebrated.

People of the islands brought with them the knowledge of song and dance to other parts of the islands, and as a people, they celebrated together. Forever they called the original ukulele the Ohana Ukulele for bringing them together as a people.

legend...

Long ago there were four brother who were all musically talented. When they played music their friends and families were full of joy. Unfortunately, when they were not playing together they were busy quarreling. Partially, because they were young, but also because they wanted the admiration of their family. One day their father sent them on a journey to prove their worth. The trek consists of finding a rare flower that is only found on top of a nearby volcano.
The brother left the following morning, as they climbed the elevation they argued the whole way. By the time it was midday there was a slight earthquake. This worried the brothers but they continued, without conceding an inch to another sibling. When they reached the summit they saw only one flower. They began to fight over the flower. They became so involved in their conflict that they ignored the volcanoes eruption.
The father was heartbroken that he had sent his sons on this quest. He created an musical instrument in their honor, the “Ohana Ukulele”. The brothers are represented by the four strings that fight for their own recognition or reluctantly, can be played together with beautiful results.

There was once a female ukulele named Ohana. She lived in a Hawaiian ukulele store. All her friends would find people who bought them and took them far away from the busy and noisy parts of life. All Ohana wanted was a man who could be as gentle to her as the soft beach sand. Everytime someone who she did not like pick her up she would purposely go out of tune to detract attention from her. 18 years have gone by and no man to this day has been able to obtain her. Ohana always wondered why she did not meet her dream. All she ever wanted was to be acknowledged by someone. To this day she is still in her case waiting to be loved. She left her fate on the hands of Aldrine who knows that he will send her to the right man, she trusts him because she knows that Aldrine understands her desire. And so she sleeps until she arrives at her heaven.

Here goes nuthin'

In the beginning all things were still
No mountains to climb or fish to be caught
And so said Oprah Winfrey “Let the empty sky be filled”
And so from the silence came the world and whatnot

There were birds, livestock and fish to catch
And grasses, grains, legumes and protein shakes
All these things should enable some beings’ survival
They were thinking when Phil dropped a jar labeled “human race”

The accident didn’t turn out all too bad though
The humans liked the plants, animals, and protein shakes
All seemed quite peaceful In that little world below
All of the elements seemed even and in place

But as Oprah and Phil looked upon the Earth
They realized there was something this creation lacked
People were boring without signs of cheer or mirth
They just sat on recliners talking about things past

Jon Stewart said “I can make the world funny”
“Is that really gonna' solve your problem” asked Phil
“Well it’s everyones problem.” Said Jon taken aback suddenly
“Are you sure about that, Jon” inquired Dr. Phil

Then Tiny Tim and Iz came, silenced Dr. Phil, and gave the people the gift of Ohana ukuleles.

And it was good.

Many years ago a homeless man named Wadger lived a lonely life in a cave near the sea. At night the sea would come into the cave’s mouth, trapping Wadger inside.

Wadger had lived alone in his cave for so long that he could not remember what it was like to live in a house, or with other people, or to sleep on a soft bed unafraid of drowning in his sleep.

In the evening, after fishing and gathering delicious fruits from the trees nearby, he would come back to his cave, eat a small meal, and cry himself to sleep.

One night Wadger went hungry and left his food as an offering on a rock outside the cave’s entrance. “Please send me a friend – I am so cold and lonely and afraid” he said.

When Wadger awoke he felt warm and itchy, and sort of happy. His face was wet, and stinky breath was being panted onto him. Slowly he opened his eyes and saw the face of his new best friend. A dog! The sea was still high – how could it have gotten in? Maybe aliens did it.

“I will call you Cuntberry” said Wadger. And then he invented the ukulele and named it after Cuntberry’s jumping fleas and they all lived happily together as a family until Cuntberry died twelve year later and Wadger was alone again until he died too.

Yeah... My English isn't really perfect and I had real problems with keeping my story under 200 words, so this is probably the best I can do. :)

In the very beginning a single tree was rooted near the ocean. The tree had but one desire: to make sound. To move the very air it consumes, to be heard by all other living things, so they would finally know it was alive.
Every time the waves hit the rocks near the shore, the tree listened. Every time birds sat upon its branches whistling, it listened. It remembered every note it had ever heard, hoping he could some day release them. All these sounds were embedded deeply in the tree's wood.
Then, one day, a man was looking for lumber for the coming winter. He chopped the tree down, cut it into long plates and tied them all together.
Once he arrived home, he plucked the string in order to untie the knot. What he heard was a beautiful array of musical notes coming from the wood. He immediately started to craft an object that could harness these sounds.
He named his invention Ohana, not only because that very tree had kept his family warm with its fire and its music, but also because all creatures are part of the great symphony of nature, the family of living beings.

Last edited:
I'm thrilled this thread is attracting so many newbies, but where are you all coming from? How did you hear about this?

Personally, I've been lurking about a month now occasionally posting. Haven't done any contests because I am lacking a cam and a uke. Hope to change that soon!:) And honestly, I enjoy a writing challenge now and again. Lol, personally took it a bit further than the 200 words, still fine tuning the longer version(~15 pages). When I get it done I'll make a PDF and post the link:)

I'm thrilled this thread is attracting so many newbies, but where are you all coming from? How did you hear about this?

Once, many generations ago,
the world was quiet: The wind
down the mountain
was silent; the ocean still;
the thunder had no power
to shake the trees; the forest
was a vast emptiness without sound;
the sun held sway over silence
by day, the deaf moon
a sentry by night.

Saddened by a great loneliness
of spirit, Kane, the father
of living creatures, stared
out over the forests and seas,
over the waning sun.
Resting beneath
a Koa tree, a cavernous sleep
overcame him; he dreamed
of a great light
which flooded the world;
suddenly a silhouette,
A beauty, a goddess, emerged.

She reached out
toward Kane; he pulled her from
the light. “Ohana is my name;
your ancestors have sent
me to quell your loneliness."
Ohana held a wooden
box, pineapple-shaped,
four thin vines running up a small neck.

She turned the pegs at the top
plucking each string.
“This is the magic chord,
G-C-E-A,” she said.
As Kane strummed the notes,
he came awake and the world
was flooded with sound; The wind
whistled down the mountain, the birds
sang in the forest, and Kane's spirit
was lifted like a jumping flea.

Did anyone go over?
dlwilson70 has done nicely with 194, I like that approach in poem form. Very refreshing!

It would be nice if some would take the time to put some layout into their story, just dumping a block of text makes it kind of hard, or uninviting, to read.

@ Hout en Vier Snaren: leuke naam!

Last edited:
i'm a newbie whose uke skills would make it unlikely that i could win any song contest that actually would require me to play something.

i've had my uke for less than a week. (can any of you long time ukers remember your early days? :) )

but this contest? i can write much better than i can play at this point! and i think i have a legitimate shot at it. i like my legend of the ohana ukulele.

i was gonna try mgm's name that uke material contest, but i got there a bit too late!

any more non playing contests are welcome by me--but i'll be challenging those others soon enough!

i'm lovin' these contests on uu! just the idea that so many ppl are so willing to be generous to challenge our skills is great!

:shaka:

Did anyone go over?
dlwilson70 has done nicely with 194, I like that approach in poem form. Very refreshing!

It would be nice if some would take the time to put some layout into their story, just dumping a block of text makes it kind of hard, or uninviting, to read.

@ Hout en Vier Snaren: leuke naam!

I put a story into word count that had 207 words so im guessing theres more than 1. It was a good story too. Im not going to post any names because that would be a dick move. If they are really tight on the 200 word thing they will count it themselves and find out who.

word count

I was going to say, according to my count, even with the title I was at just under 200. Maybe I miscounted something?

My message was in reply to another message that has been deleted now, so my remark makes no sense. I was complimenting dlwilson70 on his/her poem and that's it.

Please keep to the 200 word limit though. If only as a courtesy to the participants who did make the extra effort to get their text within those boundaries.

Message was deleted because the poster realized she was being overly picky about a few extra words and didn't want to appear like a competitive bitch.:rolleyes:

Not great, but good enough. A lot of good stories here! I dont think I will win, so it's ok, would be amazed if I did, worth a shot. Whew, 200 exactly!

There was once a boy, who made beautiful music with a ukulele, but sadly people were misinformed.

“What a cute toy guitar!” the girls would say. The boy grew discouraged, worried that his uke could not shine to it’s brightest, fullest potential. So the boy thought hard of how to make his music even more beautiful. He chose the best koa, mahogany, and rosewood, and fueled by the rage of far too many guitar comments and his love of music he crafted the finest ukulele ever built. He strings sang pure and true and the music spoke to the heart of young and old, boys and girls, musicians and non-musicians alike.

The boy played the ukulele alone for several days, hesitant to share the uke with the world, in fear it may become just another ordinary uke. When the boy finally emerged from his home, with his beloved uke in his hand strumming and chunking for all to hear. People were moved to tears, mouths hung agape, men and women cried thinking of yesteryear. And when the girls stammered “what is this thing that can exude so much beauty?” the boy gleamed with pride and said, “My ukulele, my Ohana.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom