High G String or Low G String

II don't think the choice between Low and high G all just a matter of preference, as there are notable distinctions between the two. Reentrant tuning (high G) fills out that one octave better, making a strum sound fuller. Therefore, for simple chord strumming, high G would normally sound better. However, there is the obvious range extension from Low G. Usually I stick to Low G.

not really rules, more like preferences that most players tend to agree, thus when some one goes against those rules people go crazy. its kinda like using Aheads on drums (Aheads are metal sticks, absolute crap =p )

Actually, the real issue here is not about following rules or not, it's about physics. If the "G string" (no pun intended;-) tension is too low or high IF you don't have the right string gauge, you're eventually going to end up with a bent neck problem and there is no truss rods in ukuleles. That's my take on this .

Well, I'll be honest. I haven't been playing Ukulele for more than a few days. But to offer my opinion... I have played both low and high G strung Ukuleles, and find that I enjoy the sound of the high G more. The range that the low G offers is obviously better, but I found that it makes chords sound a bit... odd. All a low G does to a chord is invert it, really, but it still feels off to me. It is of course personal preference, so if you like the sound of the low G than I'd advise you to go with the low G. The Ukulele is defining itself as a very flexible instrument these days, allowing each person to set it up however they like rather than being forced into one certain way.

Hmmm...a very interesting observation! Another point in favor of the "high G!" :)

Today, out of curiosity, I placed a Low G string on my ukulele, and it only lasted a few hours. I thought I would like it at first (since I play guitar and bass), but for some reason... the chords didn't sound so "sweet", and I hated the drone of the low G. :eek:

I thought it would sound better... but it didn't, so when i got home, off came the string and I replaced it with the high G. :D

I am guessing that this thread can go on for a long time.... it's just a matter of preference with each musician then! :)

You need a second Uke so you can make an informed judgement . . or just so it's easy to switch from one to the other
:)

Top Bottom