Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: High G String or Low G String

I have a question ,maybe not the same subject but here it is. I have a tenor ukulele and an intelli 500 chromatic tuner, I believe the strings are aquilla with the 4th string a wound string,Now when I pluck the strings I get F# B D# G# .Is this a low G? On my concert which is high g I get GCEA. So I think the tuner is ok,but I need some info about my tenor readings. MAHALO

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
    I have a question ,maybe not the same subject but here it is. I have a tenor ukulele and an intelli 500 chromatic tuner, I believe the strings are aquilla with the 4th string a wound string,Now when I pluck the strings I get F# B D# G# .Is this a low G? On my concert which is high g I get GCEA. So I think the tuner is ok,but I need some info about my tenor readings. MAHALO
    Not sure if I understand you correctly, but your uke is tuned down one half step from GCEA. Some people call that concert tuning in the guitar world. You're in Low G tuned down one semi-tone. Just crank up the tuners until the intelli reads GCEA.

We are never to old to learn ..Ha. Thank you so much for the info .You were right on.This is my first tenor ,I just got it last week and that was the tuning I got when I used the tuner,it sounded great .Again many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenwing View Post
    Not sure if I understand you correctly, but your uke is tuned down one half step from GCEA. Some people call that concert tuning in the guitar world. You're in Low G tuned down one semi-tone. Just crank up the tuners until the intelli reads GCEA.

I was pondering the post and thinking the same thing you had said, but then I told myself, nah, cannot be that simple of an answer. hahahahahaha

Hey Dino I'm glad you got a good laugh.Remember to be good to your seniors we did not have all those fancy things like chromatic tuners in our time so what did we do ?Our generation invented them for you. Ha Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
    Hey Dino I'm glad you got a good laugh.Remember to be good to your seniors we did not have all those fancy things like chromatic tuners in our time so what did we do ?Our generation invented them for you. Ha Ha
    Some of us still don't have them. That's what tuning forks are for.

But you can use get-tuned.com in a pinch.

I would like to invest in a few 6 string ukes where the G and C are doubled up and set at octaves, and the bottom 2 strings would be single for picking!

Some tunes just need that low in it and I think that the octave double string notes would be perfect. You get your highs and lows!

especially in a jam session with other uke players... when someone hits that low G... there's an extra warmth to the overall sound.

pretty sweet!

werd? word!!

keep the peace! LOL
    `><((((> Joey Jr `><((((>

I have my pono strung with the low-G right now and I've been very comfortable with it, strumming or picking-wise. I actually got more conscious of when I strum all the strings of just some of them since the low G might not fit in all situations. Overall, I learned to adjust when necessary over time.

I have some vids on my YouTube account that are in Low-G and High-G.
    - Chuck
    I spend too much time YouTubing.

Bayview Township, Bayfield County, WI USA

Personal preference is for high G on the concert KoAloha. Tried low G Aquila (wound low G) and Worth Brown med low G. Both sounded clunky, thunky. In my case the instrument more or less determined the tuning.
    Noel V.

Honestly Umagrama, it completely depends on what type of music you're into.
    I have both, and I swap around all the time for different songs (for instance, Tears in Heaven sounds terrible on a high-g uke, just as While My Guitar Gently Weeps sounds not so good on a low-g uke).
    I would recommend trying both at a good music store and seeing which one you like more.

A good rule of thumb is that low-g's usually have a fuller sound and sound fantastic when strummed, but high-g's are brighter, and keep the playful sound that has made uke so popular.

Don't let anyone tell you what is right or wrong.

Rob
    Rob
    JH-SM1 James Hill Signature Series Tenor
    KoAloha KTM-00 Tenor
    Kiwaya K-Wave Les Paul Rock Uke
    Jupiter Creek Permacaster Concert

Thread Information