"new" way to learn to play the ukulele

Uncle Rod Higuchi

Reaction score
I just put this together as a FREE giveaway. It's a FREE Songbook with a little basic instruction. Unfortunately it exceeds the limits for posting. If you want a copy (about 6 printed sheets), check out Posts # 5, 7, 9, and 27 for download links and more info. I also explain how to use the Transposing Chart in another Post, page 3, #28. You'll find this link there: http://www.4shared.com/file/126325725/6ef2d760/Uncle_Rod's_Lament.html

NOTE: After clicking the link and getting to my "4shared.com" page, click on my email address next to my picture to access all my shared files including the FREE Song/Instruction Book, my MP3s, and some individual, chorded-song files. Also NOTE that you may need to readjust the margins of the chorded-song sheets to spread out the lyrics so that the chords settle over the proper word or syllable.

I believe beginners need a strategy to divide and conquer the skills needed to learn to play the ukulele. (see last page of Booklet)

I recommend that beginners 'prepare themselves' to play the uke by focusing FIRST on learning chords and practicing chord changes to a uniform rhythm. After all, playing the uke, to accompany singing, is really just a matter of playing the chords of a song in the proper sequence without interrupting your strumming (by looking up unfamiliar chords or looking at your chord-forming fingers).

The "divide and conquer strategy" may seem a bit more tedious at first, since most of us are impatient to start playing songs even before we know how to make musical sounds with the ukulele. It's like trying to play golf without first learning how to use the various clubs to hit the ball. It makes sense to me to spend a day at the practice range to get the feel of a new set of golf clubs BEFORE going out the NEXT day and using those clubs to actually play a game. So my suggestion is this: Learn to make 'musical sounds' (chords) with your ukulele FIRST (and practice making smooth chord changes as you strum each chord 4 times, then 3, then 2), then use your ukulele to play 'songs' (made up of those sounds).

If beginners will learn to create and master a few Practice Sheets, like the example on page 3 for "Blowin in the Wind", BEFORE they actually try to play the song, I believe they'd make a lot more progress and more quickly as well.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this. It's FREE, so please feel free to print it out and pass it along.

8/19/09 - Mahalo Everyone. The response has been overwhelming with over 150 downloads to date.

If you want to see anything else added to the FREE Booklet (other than chords, since I don't have a program to do that, and there are other very good threads - see 'pocket chord chart' under Tabs and Chords) please let me know and I will try to incorporate them into the booklet, or do another one.

Last edited:
Hey Uncle Rod, have you thought about putting the file up on something like MediaFire? Then you can just post the link here, and people can download it without having to e-mail or PM you.

Just a thought!

JJ

Good thought. I am registered in 4shared.com, maybe I could post it there. I'm new to all of this so I hope I'll be able to do it in a timely way.

I've already sent email replies to about 13 of you with the following message:

"I hope it makes sense to you.

"I truly feel that we make many beginners bite off much more than they can chew. They need to understand the difference between an ukulele as a simple instrument and the fact that "simple to learn" is NOT the same as "easy to play".

"As with any instrument, one must first learn how to make use of it before actually using it to accomplish a result. In the case of the ukulele, I like to introduce it as an instrument which makes musical sounds (via chords) which must be learned BEFORE actually trying to play a song/melody.

"As you know, the most frustrating thing for beginners is eye-hand coordination (seeing G7 but NOT being able to form it instantly). Then there's finger strength (no calluses yet) and cramping after playing constantly for just a few minutes. Muscle memory comes after much repeated practice sessions.

"That's why I like to have people "play" through a practice sheet of chords at a regular tempo, slow to start with, then picking up the speed as well as moving from 4 strums each chord to eventually just 2 or 1 strum per chord. When beginners can play through a practice sheet at 2 strums per chord at a moderate tempo, they can play the song the practice sheet is based on."

If any of you don't want to wait until I figure out how to post the .doc to 4 shared, go ahead and email me at ( rohiguchi@gmail.com ) and I'll email the booklet to you in the reply.

Mahalo and Malama Pono, (Thanks and Take Care),

Wow, thank you for putting something like this together! I sent you an email as I'm interested in getting a copy as well. :) I'm looking forward to it.

OK, looks like the link is working OK.

If you look under my profile picture, you'll be able to also access the MP3 files I have on 4shared.com. They should match the song sheets so you can listen to my rendition of the songs on the song sheets.

Enjoy,

Not at all.

I would appreciate it if you would.

Could you enlighten me as to the benefit of doing so? This way, in the future,
if my computer skills allow, I may be able to do so on my own.

Mahalo,

PS, in the future, if I post anything you think would benefit from being re-posted
in .pdf format, please feel free to do so.

I put it up here, on rapidshare, hope thats ok for you guys to dl it

I prefer pdf files, i dunno it loads fast in my viewer (Sumatra pdf, free, fast, no nonsense) you can print it easily and its widely accepted. I took the liberty and put it all in the same font and added a small click able index, so one can access the songs faster. Its just convenient i guess. word takes more time and resources when i open it up.

I did that with open office, quite a nice programm if you need a office suit like word/excel. and its free... Thanks for taking the time and making the whole thing!

Thanks Mario.

Please note that now the chording is over the wrong syllables and it could confuse some of the beginners.

I'll try to create more uniform files in the future.

Are you able to modify the .pdf so the chords show over the proper syllables?

Top Bottom