Reputation Points & Comments- WHY?

i only get negative, haha :) dno why

The whole rep point thing is really useless. Of the thousands of UU members, many are not even aware of the rep point system. Of those that know about it, only a few actually use it. As far as positive feedback to members, we do that all the time, every day, in many of our posts as we compliment folks. As far as the negative stuff, that can be handled either privately by PM or a note to a moderator.

The whole rep point thing is really useless. Of the thousands of UU members, many are not even aware of the rep point system. Of those that know about it, only a few actually use it. As far as positive feedback to members, we do that all the time, every day, in many of our posts as we compliment folks. As far as the negative stuff, that can be handled either privately by PM or a note to a moderator.
So what you mean to say is, it's not useful to you. Which is fine... like I said, feel free to ignore it.

Trust me, the bigger the site gets the more useful it will be.

Some of the sites I frequent are over ten thousand members. The rep system helps communication, management, moderation, and community more than it hurts.

yeah I agree with Ahnko. Ive gotten some really bad comments on there too. Yeah I know guys, Im annoying, but if you really hate me that much, just tell me.(awaits the pms to be received.)

Yeah I know guys, Im annoying, but if you really hate me that much, just tell me.(awaits the pms to be received.)
If you know you are annoying, work on it. Not something to cultivate.
My strategy for the few neg reps I got is to edit the message with a "this was neg repped because someone did not understand blablabla...." and explain what I meant. But if you acknowledge that you are indeed wrong, then a little anonymous poke is not too bad I think.

Last edited:
I've only had one negative rep and that was entirely my own fault. I'd 'helped' a beginner by posting some fingerings for a chord and i'd labelled one of the frets with the wrong number. I went back and changed it once i'd been given negative rep - incase anyone were to read it in the future and take away incorrect info. Without the rep system it probably would've ended up being left incorrect.

As long as you're not confrontational and purposely looking to stir things up then i don't think you have to worry about recieving negative rep. We're not here to argue, just to learn about and share our love for the uke. It's an easy enough feature to ignore if you really don't use it.

I've only had one negative rep and that was entirely my own fault. I'd 'helped' a beginner by posting some fingerings for a chord and i'd labelled one of the frets with the wrong number. I went back and changed it once i'd been given negative rep - incase anyone were to read it in the future and take away incorrect info. Without the rep system it probably would've ended up being left incorrect.

Now see, that's exactly the kind of thing I would never give negative rep for. You're trying to help a newbie, and that's the sort of thing that should be encouraged, even postive-repped.

IMNSHO, the issue of your simple mistake could've been more appropriately addressed by the person merely posting a reply pointing it out and suggesting the correction. No need to diss you for it.

JJ

Now see, that's exactly the kind of thing I would never give negative rep for. You're trying to help a newbie, and that's the sort of thing that should be encouraged, even postive-repped.

IMNSHO, the issue of your simple mistake could've been more appropriately addressed by the person merely posting a reply pointing it out and suggesting the correction. No need to diss you for it.

JJ

yeah, they didn't diss me. just marked it as negative. i've had lots of positive rep for helping out so it's not really affected anything. i think if we're not confrontational etc. then it'll be very rare that we recieve negative rep so it'll all work out! the literal only worry with the system is the potential for a troll to come on and negative rep everyone - but trolls are easy to spot :D

Sorry to dig this thread back out...:eek:

But now that I finally know HOW to give rep points as well as view my own - is there a way to see ALL the points given to you rather than just a summary in the User CP?

By the time you all helped me figure out how to do it, I already had 35 pre-existing points...and I don't know what any of them said or if they're even pos/neg.

Thank you!!!

But now that I finally know HOW to give rep points as well as view my own - is there a way to see ALL the points given to you rather than just a summary in the User CP?

By the time you all helped me figure out how to do it, I already had 35 pre-existing points...and I don't know what any of them said or if they're even pos/neg.

Thank you!!!

Wow, you really climbed up there! I don't think the Admin have enabled us to see it all. It doesn't even tell us our rep power (sometimes, it's worth more than + or - 1). If it's negative, it's a red bar. If it's neutral, it's a grey bar. If it's positive, it's a green bar. I think it leaves neutral to people if you have less than 50 posts or so to help prevent abuse of the system. It also leaves neutral when you have under 10 points.

Thank you!!!

As far as I know, there's no way to view all your rep points. Sorry!

Can you get a MINUS reputation? I mean... a reputation that's below zero? That would be REALLY UNDERGROUND, right?

Funny enough until a few days ago (when a user got a negative rep point and complained about this "passive aggressive behavior" against him) I had no idea about rep points whatsoever. Then I got a positive one and found out that I have +13 points. Now what does this mean? How many points do you have when you start out on UU? And who gave me the other points and why?

Hmm...maybe I should check out the FAQ before I ask stupid questions here... (please don't rate me negative because of this dudes...)

P.S. Do I have to live in constant fear of negative rep points now? :eek:

Can you get a MINUS reputation? I mean... a reputation that's below zero? That would be REALLY UNDERGROUND, right?

Funny enough until a few days ago (when a user got a negative rep point and complained about this "passive aggressive behavior" against him) I had no idea about rep points whatsoever. Then I got a positive one and found out that I have +13 points. Now what does this mean? How many points do you have when you start out on UU? And who gave me the other points and why?

Hmm...maybe I should check out the FAQ before I ask stupid questions here... (please don't rate me negative because of this dudes...)

P.S. Do I have to live in constant fear of negative rep points now? :eek:

You start with 10. Rep just means people like or dislike your posts. You won't know who did it unless they write their name in the comment (unless they're lying about their name). Rep can be given to anyone by anyone, but whether it affects the user depends on rep power. Newbies don't have rep power and neither do people with less than 10 rep.

You can get below zero on reputation.
-999999 User is infamous around these parts
-50 User can only hope to improve
-10 User has a little shameless behaviour in the past

0 to -9 gets a grey bar.
-10 and below gets a red bar.
1+ get green bars. You earn another green bar every 100 rep after that
This info is not in the FAQ.

Last edited:
Can you control how many rep points you give someone for a post or does it always award the same?

Some people on here have been so helpful that I'd like to give some of their outstanding posts a bit more rep than I would give to a "standard" helpful post... er... if that makes sense?

Top Bottom